Talker (Talker Series) by Amy Lane

Talker (Talker Series) (edition 2010)

by Amy Lane

Info:Dreamspinner Press (2010), Kindle Edition, 83 pages
Collections:Lovekad
Rating:***1/2

Talker by Amy Lane

Talker is an emotionally charged story. Like all of Amy Lane's characters Tate and Brian are complex, three dimensional. This story is not for the faint of heart and at times truly heart wrenching. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
~~~

I was fortunate enough to get to buddy read this with fellow book blogger Giulia from www.devastatingreads.blogspot.com and also several other GR friends joined in and shared the experience with us. I think we chose the perfect book to buddy read. The characters were visual, the writing sharp and the story was charming.

THE CHARACTERS

Brian Cooper - Introverted, withdrawn and closeted, even to himself.

In fact, the only thing in his life that was complicated was Tate Walker, and he liked that all this simplicity gave him the strength to be exactly what Talker needed.

Tate (Talker) Walker - I had a difficult time understanding Tate. He's complex and completely exposed all at the same time. Fascinating.

So much of Tate was like a crumpled ball of brittle cellophane, transparent and broken.

THE STORY

Take two fairly dysfunctional boys, with rather unique character qualities and mix in a little coming out, an unhealthy amount of emotional angst and a dash (okay, a healthy dash)of sexuality and you have a recipe for...More Please.

THE WRITING

I'm beginning to develop an ear for Ms. Lane's writing style. She seems to jump around a bit and while that hasn't bothered me in her other books that I've read, it was a little off putting in this one. Giulia mentioned that this wasn't a problem for her at all, so maybe it was just me.

I do appreciate the character development in this story and the gentle voice with which it was told. Very nice.

Told from Brian's POV, I'm looking forward to finding out if we hear more of Tate's voice in the next book.

~ ~ ~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
Talker is a lyrical story filled with pain, anguish and love. Talker is a short story by Amy Lane about two unlikely friends: Tate “Talker” Walker and Brian Cooper. The two young college men meet during a track team bus ride and become fast friends and why not? They are both hiding secrets from each other and themselves. Tate is a talker with a quip for every situation, thus his nickname. Behind his bad boy rocker facade, he is hiding a lot of personal pain and fear of rejection. Brian is hiding too, but he’s hiding behind a facade of “normality”. He has a stream of faceless girlfriends who come in and out of his life, but don’t mean anything to him. It takes one of those girlfriends to wake him up to some realities about himself.Amy Lane’s Talker touched me with its fluid language, which is almost poetical at times. While reading the book, I had the feeling that I was listening to a poet. Reading Talker was my first experience with Amy Lane’s writing. I plan to enjoy listening to this voice in the future. I read constantly and it’s been a while since a book warmed me as this one did. This one is definitely 5 stars. I can’t wait to read the sequel.More reviews from Barb Manning are available at www.barbmanning.net ( )
  barbmanning | Jun 9, 2012 |
The cover of this novella (that btw I like) is a little misleading, but in a good way; to a superficial buyer it can appear a paranormal romance, or maybe an adventure thriller with a bad boy, but as in the story, you need to go beyond appearance to find the real core, that in this case is a bittersweet coming of age love story.

For various reasons Brian and Tate became best friends during their first year of college: Brian the country boy, straighter than straight in his blond appearance and perfect healthy body, and Tate the bad “gay” boy, skinny and tattooed. But Brian is completely out of the common attitude and thinking, he is not influenced by society, he was raised by a single artsy aunt far from the big city, and so when Tate approaches him, he only sees a nice guy who desperately needs a friend, a bit like himself.

Year after year their friendship develops to a level that only Brian really knows Tate, all people outside only see the outspoken tattooed guy, but Brian sees the little boy searching for love, and also Brian has developed a different type of feeling for Tate, love. Brian has really no issue with being gay, his main issue is that he doesn’t like to be center stage, he likes to be average; moreover, Brian has not really the alpha male core, he is more the type to be dragged. In a way he is “straight” simply since he has never approached someone, but he was always cruised, and the ones to cruise him were always women, probably since to the superficial acquaintance he appeared as a straight guy.

On the other hand Tate knows him well, but he probably fears rejection: Brian is his best friend, his mainstay, the only sure thing in his life, and there is no way he will put in danger this for love; love is not a steady feeling, and he needs more Brian as a friend than lover.

I like this story since both characters are young and innocent (and no, innocent is not referring only to a physical thing); these two are not naïve or spoiled young men, they grew before their age, and Tate has experienced pain and even rape; at the end of this novella, not everything will be solved for them, they will have still a lot of obstacles to overcome, but at least they will be not alone in doing so. I feel that even if young, these two have a long-term future together in front of them.

elisa.rolle | Feb 21, 2011 |
ALL of my work, whether I remember the dedication or not, is somehow dedicated to my husband. “Mate” and I have been together since we were nineteen years old.
We were the ones with the restaurant jobs, taking classes, while living in the shitty apartment. We were the ones with the poor-man’s Christmas tree, and we were the ones who had to choose between heat and light. (We chose light and were grateful for the big camping sleeping bags my parents gave us for Christmas. They were later stolen, because hey—did I mention it was a shitty apartment?)
I write a lot of stories about young love and first-time lovers, and I do it with optimism that the lovers will make it, because Mate and I did. So when you get to the end, don’t worry about Brian and Talker. Have a little faith. Turns out that sometimes, faith and a sense of humor really can be all you need. (And a chance to raid your parents’ garden or eat free restaurant food. That helps too.)
Brian Cooper was on the big tour bus, on the way to his first track meet, when he first met Tate Walker.

Tate "Talker" Walker has spent most of his life hiding his scars under a bright punk facade, and until he sat next to Brian Cooper on a bus, it worked. But Brian has spent his whole life being the invisible man, and he's used to looking below the surface. What he sees in Talker is a fragile and lovable human being. Brian is outwardly straight, but Talker is desperate for love, and when Talker's behavior leads to some painful consequences, Brian is forced to come out of his closet--in dramatic fashion. He'll do anything to make sure Talker sees that he's the Prince Charming Talker has always needed.… (more)

Dreamspinner Press

An edition of this book was published by Dreamspinner Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,501,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible