Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of…

Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart

by Candace Fleming

213None54,628 (4.07)1

Not in this book, but still one of my favorite quotes was said by Amelia’s flight instructor. He said, “Amelia isn’t famous for being a great pilot; she’s famous for being a bad pilot.” Fleming’s book doesn’t paint Amelia as a heroine either. She gives the facts but she tells them in such an enticing way you will be engrossed from the start to the finish. ( )
  OscarWilson | Mar 26, 2014 |
I found this a suspenseful, cinematic biography of Amelia Earhart. Intermixed with Amelia’s life story are short reports of the search for her lost plane. This seemed awkward at first, but after a few chapters I grew used to it. By the end, these alternating chapters help build the suspense. Large font and a plethora of black and white photos make this book a quick and interesting read. I would recommend this for fans of Amelia Earhart, children doing a report on a historical figure or event, or anyone who loves mysteries.
  Megs_Scrambled | Mar 10, 2014 |
combines with her storytelling expertise to craft an account of Earhart that manages to breathe life into the legendary figure’s mysterious disappearance. Even though the reader knows that Amelia never returned from her fatal flight, the book’s structure and Fleming’s pacing manage to build suspense and create tension. The author intersperses accounts from the viewpoints of the many people concerned about Amelia’s whereabouts with accounts of her early years and her career, allowing the reader to know Amelia as more than a one-dimensional historic figure. ( )
  caitlinsnead | Nov 20, 2013 |
I enjoyed reading this book greatly. I've previously had an interest in Amelia Earhard and the Bermuda Triangle so this was fascinating to read. n my personal opinion, the author’s readability worked wonderfully in tandem with the information excerpts placed perfectly throughout the book, as well as the photos and original letters. The book was also well designed so in addition to having a fascinating subject matter, it was enticing to look at as well.
  ZacWoodruff | Jun 3, 2013 |
Amelia Lost is a biography of Amelia Earhart. Amelia Earhart was an American women growing up in the early 1900s. She discovered a love of flying while serving as a nurse's aide in Toronto, Canada during World War I. Before receiving her International Pilot License, Amelia had already broken the record for highest altitude for women. She went on to accomplish many things such as being the first female passenger to fly across the Atlantic Ocean as well as the first female to fly solo across both the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean. She was the first female to fly from Los Angeles to Mexico City. She also set the record for fastest flying time from Los Angeles to New York. She wrote three books and married her publisher George Putnam. Her greatest and final adventure was to fly around the world following the Equator. Amelia disappeared on July 2, 1937 between Lae, New Guinea and Howland Island. Neither she nor her plane have ever been found.

Candace Flemming did something very interesting with this book. The narrative of Amelia's life is conveyed through chapters up until her disappearance. Between each chapter is a gray page with details and accounts of her disappearance. At first, I thought this would be difficult to read a chronological narrative and continuously jumping to the end but I actually enjoyed it. After reading multiple books written about Amelia Earhart, it was nice to have something different. I thought the she did an accurate job of portraying Amelia Earhart. She did not seem biased, in fact she shined some light on to the fact that Amelia and George were seeking fame with everything they did. The cover of the book is an iconic photo so it draws the reader in. The book contains photo credits, an index, chapter notes, and sources.

I really enjoyed the book and believe it would be a good read for middle school students. I could easily use a book like this in a middle school social studies lesson to talk about women who achieved great things in careers designated for men. I again think Candace was accurate in her writings and used primary sources making this an excellent book about Amelia Earhart. ( )
  Mwbordel | May 7, 2013 |

Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart, wonderfully covers Amelia’s fateful flight across the world, her successful crossing of the Atlantic Ocean and her upbringing.  You’d love to see 5 – 8 graders use this book not only as a valuable research resource, but also as an inspirational tool for women.  History teachers could certainly use this as a resource when discussing important people of the 20th century.  Check out this visual timeline for students learning not only about Amelia, but also some general US history during her lifetime: http://teacher.scholastic.com/earhart...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375841989, Hardcover)

From the acclaimed author of The Great and Only Barnum—as well as The Lincolns, Our Eleanor, and Ben Franklin's Almanac—comes the thrilling story of America's most celebrated flyer, Amelia Earhart.

In alternating chapters, Fleming deftly moves readers back and forth between Amelia's life (from childhood up until her last flight) and the exhaustive search for her and her missing plane. With incredible photos, maps, and handwritten notes from Amelia herself—plus informative sidebars tackling everything from the history of flight to what Amelia liked to eat while flying (tomato soup)—this unique nonfiction title is tailor-made for middle graders.

Amelia Lost received four starred reviews and Best Book of the Year accolades from School Library Journal, Kirkus Reviews, Horn Book Magazine, the Washington Post, and the New York Times.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:47 -0400)

Tells the story of Amelia Earhart's life - as a child, a woman, and a pilot - and describes the search for her missing plane.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible