Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of…

Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart

by Candace Fleming

This is a fine, carefully wrought biography that joins many more about the famous aviator. It works because the writing is clear, but it reads like an adventure story, the reader hoping all along that maybe Earhart will emerge from the ether. The photos enhance the telling and, while I found a few of the callouts in the text distracting, I believe that its middle reader target audience, raised on distracting DK picture books, will press on without complaint.

It will be on my Mock Newbery 2012 list. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

It will be on my Mock Newbery 2012 list. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
This books tells all about the live of Amelia Earnhardt. The books is not just about the final flight of Earnhardt but about her whole life from when she was a young child. There are many images that help to bring her story to life for the reader.
  klamproe | Dec 2, 2017 |
"Amelia Lost: the Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart By Candace Fleming
Amelia Earhart is a woman that may admire, this book brings to life why Amlia is such a hero to many women and young girls. Amelia's life wasn't easy and she had to go through much distress. It wasn't until the end of her life when she found her true inspiration. The very attempt to fly around the world was unheard of, not to metnion she was a woman in a mans world.
THis book is a great book that shows much determination. Amelia
's story gives all girls inspiration. No matter our orientation we can do anything if we just do it.
hHe extensions for this book that I would do would be first have a color sheet for the students to color . I would have them attach a short summery about the book.
Secondly I would make candy airplanes. This would be a fun activity that would grab the attention of all students.
  Amandaspangler | Jul 21, 2017 |
I have always been fascinated with the story of Amelia Earhart. This book takes on on the journey through her life and into her mysterious disappearance. Amelia's goal was to fly around the world at the widest point, but before she reached one of her last fuel-up points she vanished. It was believed that her radio was malfunctioning and she was unable to find Howland Island. Amelia Lost shows pictures of Amelia from childhood, to adulthood and in between. Fleming leads us through her fame, her flight, the search, and finally the termination of the search for Earhart.
  mercedeslillian | Mar 18, 2017 |

Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart, wonderfully covers Amelia’s fateful flight across the world, her successful crossing of the Atlantic Ocean and her upbringing.  You’d love to see 5 – 8 graders use this book not only as a valuable research resource, but also as an inspirational tool for women.  History teachers could certainly use this as a resource when discussing important people of the 20th century.  Check out this visual timeline for students learning not only about Amelia, but also some general US history during her lifetime: http://teacher.scholastic.com/earhart...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375841989, Hardcover)

From the acclaimed author of The Great and Only Barnum—as well as The Lincolns, Our Eleanor, and Ben Franklin's Almanac—comes the thrilling story of America's most celebrated flyer, Amelia Earhart.

In alternating chapters, Fleming deftly moves readers back and forth between Amelia's life (from childhood up until her last flight) and the exhaustive search for her and her missing plane. With incredible photos, maps, and handwritten notes from Amelia herself—plus informative sidebars tackling everything from the history of flight to what Amelia liked to eat while flying (tomato soup)—this unique nonfiction title is tailor-made for middle graders.

Amelia Lost received four starred reviews and Best Book of the Year accolades from School Library Journal, Kirkus Reviews, Horn Book Magazine, the Washington Post, and the New York Times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:57 -0400)

Tells the story of Amelia Earhart's life - as a child, a woman, and a pilot - and describes the search for her missing plane.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible