Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of…

Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart (edition 2011)

by Candace Fleming

Member:JohnJay
Title:Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart
Authors:Candace Fleming
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 128 pages

Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart by Candace Fleming

I liked this book because it discussed other topics about Amelia Earhart other than what made her famous. It was interesting reading about her life in order to better understand her motivations as a pilot. I like the use of photographs for the illustrations. They add an authentic touch that remind the reader that Amelia was a real person. I like the way the author changes his writing style. When illustrating Amelia's background information, the author had an organized and well paced writing style. However, when describing the scene when Amelia went missing, the author used short sentences and one-sentence paragraphs. This created a rapid and suspenseful pace and made the reader nervous. The purpose of this book is to make readers aware of the life and disappearance of Amelia Earhart. ( )
  agaski3 | Apr 2, 2015 |
I found this book to be very interesting and it is a great biography for young readers to enjoy. I really liked this book for several reasons. First, I enjoy the writing style that the author used. The book goes back and fourth between glimpses of Amelia’s life and pieces about Amelia’s disappearance. The switch between the two truly adds excitement as the information about Amelia’s disappearance helps keep readers on their toes wondering what happened to her plane. I also enjoyed reading this book because there is a significant amount of historical information placed in various boxes throughout the text. For example, there is information about Morse code. I also enjoyed reading this book because there are many photographs an pictures throughout the book that help display Amelia’s life. The photographs truly enhance the biography and help readers get to know Amelia Earhart more. Lastly, I loved that the book had information about Amelia from the perspective of other people. For example, there is a section of her book from the perspective of her first flight teacher. The main idea of the book is to tell the story of Amelia Earhart. ( )
  mbolle1 | Apr 2, 2015 |
I like this book for a number of reasons. The first reason I like the book is because of the pictures throughout. The pictures are real life photographs from the life of Amelia. I think that it shows the readers great deal and shows more details of her life. The pictures allow the reader to visualize what Amelia Earhart looked like and what others in her like looked like as well. Another reason I like the book is the writing. It is written in a very professional and informative voice. This allows the reader to understand key ideas and believe that everything in the book is true. The third reason I like the book is the point of view. The book is in third person which informs the reader about all of the people involved in her life and not only her. The book also had quotes that were in first person which allows reader to connect to Amelia and gives more information about the way she felt throughout her life. The main idea of this book is to inform people about the real life of Amelia Earhart. ( )
  vboch1 | Apr 1, 2015 |
I like this book for multiple reasons. One reason I like this book is for its use of images. Most of the images are real life photographs. Not only does this allow the readers to relate to the time period, but also invites them to join Amelia's journey. Another reason I enjoy this book is the formatting of two different stories. For example, the book begins during Amelia's journey flying around the world. When the island is unable to contact her, the story then pauses and begins a second story starting with Amelia's early childhood. The pattern continues throughout the book, pausing and picking up every few chapters. Overall, I believe readers can take away several messages from this book. Not only is it used to provide information about Amelia Earhart, but also to remind readers to never give up on their dreams. ( )
  acaine1 | Mar 29, 2015 |

Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart, wonderfully covers Amelia’s fateful flight across the world, her successful crossing of the Atlantic Ocean and her upbringing.  You’d love to see 5 – 8 graders use this book not only as a valuable research resource, but also as an inspirational tool for women.  History teachers could certainly use this as a resource when discussing important people of the 20th century.  Check out this visual timeline for students learning not only about Amelia, but also some general US history during her lifetime: http://teacher.scholastic.com/earhart...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375841989, Hardcover)

From the acclaimed author of The Great and Only Barnum—as well as The Lincolns, Our Eleanor, and Ben Franklin's Almanac—comes the thrilling story of America's most celebrated flyer, Amelia Earhart.

In alternating chapters, Fleming deftly moves readers back and forth between Amelia's life (from childhood up until her last flight) and the exhaustive search for her and her missing plane. With incredible photos, maps, and handwritten notes from Amelia herself—plus informative sidebars tackling everything from the history of flight to what Amelia liked to eat while flying (tomato soup)—this unique nonfiction title is tailor-made for middle graders.

Amelia Lost received four starred reviews and Best Book of the Year accolades from School Library Journal, Kirkus Reviews, Horn Book Magazine, the Washington Post, and the New York Times.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:47 -0400)

Tells the story of Amelia Earhart's life - as a child, a woman, and a pilot - and describes the search for her missing plane.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible