GUYKU: A Year of Haiku for Boys by Bob…

GUYKU: A Year of Haiku for Boys

by Bob Raczka

Other authors: Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)

Full of child-friendly haiku about the seasons. Great companion website with "how to" materials, example haiku for each season (animation), and ideas for what to do to publish/share haiku.
  scoomber | May 8, 2017 |
A collection of haikus that take you through fun outdoor activities throughout the seasons. ( )
  rebeccaperez | Apr 29, 2017 |
A cute book full of haiku aimed toward boys
  paulaboy | Aug 3, 2016 |
It's also good for gals. ?Too bad Rackza and Reynolds feel the need to create this book, but they do make it plain, in their notes, that they do believe that boys still think poems are for girls. ?áI like that these aren't too stereotyped - it almost could be called 'kidcu' except for maybe the mud puddle that invites one boy to splash his sister. ?áI like that there aren't exactly 12 poems, and that they aren't titled for the month they represent, because that makes it more universal. ?áNot completely so, as there are several about snow, but it's still better than many 'year-round' collections.

I especially like the zing of:

How many million
flakes will it take to make a
snow day tomorrow? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I also really liked “Guyku: A Year of Haiku for Boys” by Bob Raczka. This book is filled with minimalistic poems directed towards a young male audience. Each haiku is about nature and playing outside which directly targets young boys between the ages of five and eight. I think that the simplicity of the language engages the reader without overwhelming them. For example, “ The wind and I play/ tug-of-war with my new kite/ the wind is winning.” The language is really transparent so the reader can really see the structure of haiku poems, as well as relate to the topic of playing with a kite. I also believe that the illustrations are an essential aspect of the story and why I enjoy it. Each picture is drawn with a grassy green and blackish brown tint. I think that the use of these colors targets a male audience. Also, the boys in each picture are diverse; any young boy who reads these poems will see at least one character they can relate to. I think it’s important for young readers to find characters they connect to because it can really impact your views on yourself and the world. The main message of this book is to motivate young boys to read by connecting to their interests. ( )
  ShakelaWilliams | May 9, 2015 |

Bob Raczkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Peter H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my sons, Robert and Carl, may you always appreciate the simple things in life. --B.R.
To my nephews Andrew, Chris, Simon, Mark, Josh, Nate, Ben, James, Nick, Adam, Jason, Eric, John, Paul, Brian, and Pat. --P.H.R.

The wind and I play
tug-of-war with my new kite.
The wind is winning.

When you’re a guy, nature is one big playground—no matter what the season. There are puddles to splash in the spring, pine trees to climb in the summer, maple seeds to catch in the fall, and icicles to swordfight with in the winter.
     Nature also has a way of making a guy appreciate important stuff—like how many rocks it takes to dam up a stream, or how much snow equals a day off from school.
So what kind of poetry best captures these special moments, at a length that lets guys get right back to tree-climbing and kite-flying? Why, guyku, of course!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

Raczka and Reynolds present a humorous haiku collection perfect for guys (big and small) that celebrates outdoor fun throughout the seasons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,560,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible