Rotters by Daniel Kraus

Authors:Daniel Kraus
Info:Ember (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:**

Rotters by Daniel Kraus

Narrated by Kirby Heybourne. Not just a scary book, far more than a horror novel...this is absolutely grotesque! The squirm factor is huge. Reader Kirby Heybourne puts understated relish into the more, uh, descriptive passages yet still brings out the story's tenderness. Be prepared to gasp out loud... ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Painful, grim, and yet beautifully written. I listened to the audio version and I hung on every word. Not as gruesome as The Monstrumologist, but dark in the same manner. Poor Joey's mom dies, he goes to live with his father who turns out to be a modern day grave robber in a small underground group. Joey has no love from his father, he lives in horrible conditions, he is bullied in school, and he is learning the trade of grave robbing. Bleak, bleak, and more bleak for poor Joey, but I found the story unique and gripping. Great characters and if you enjoy audio books, this book is well worth listening too. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
In Rotters Kraus seemed to want to address bullying and grave-robbing but, for me, the two themes didn't mesh into one cohesive exploration. As a story of fathers and sons, it read a little better. However, I was never able to connect with Joey Crouch, Joey's father, or the world and philosophy of Diggers. Joey was quite passive until all of a sudden he would do something completely out of character. Overall, the story just fell flat, for me.

2.5 stars ( )
1 vote flying_monkeys | Sep 11, 2015 |

Daniel Krausprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the day my mother dies.

Grave-robbing. What kind of monster would do such a thing? It's true that Leonardo da Vinci did it, Shakespeare wrote about it, and the resurrection men of nineteenth-century Scotland practically made it an art. But none of this matters to Joey Crouch, a sixteen-year-old straight-A student living in Chicago with his single mom. For the most part, Joey's life is about playing the trumpet and avoiding the daily humiliations of high school.

Everything changes when Joey's mother dies in a tragic accident and he is sent to rural Iowa to live with the father he has never known, a strange, solitary man with unimaginable secrets. At first, Joey's father wants nothing to do with him, but once father and son come to terms with each other, Joey's life takes a turn both macabre and exhilarating.

Daniel Kraus's masterful plotting and unforgettable characters make Rotters a moving, terrifying, and unconventional epic about fathers and sons, complex family ties, taboos, and the ever-present specter of mortality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:22 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Joey's life takes a very strange turn when his mother's tragic death forces him to move from Chicago to rural Iowa with the father he has never known, and who is the town pariah.

16 wanted1 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,250,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible