Doña Flor: A Tall Tale about a Giant Woman…

Doña Flor: A Tall Tale about a Giant Woman with a Great Big Heart

by Pat Mora

Other authors: Raúl Colón (Illustrator)

2073856,585 (3.75)1

Doña Flor is about a giant woman who grew so tall because of all the love she received from her mother. The people of her village were scared of her at first, but got used to her and she became a beloved friend. One day, the villagers heard a coyote howling and were afraid to leave their houses for days. When she finally found the source, it was a tiny puppy who was trying to sound threatening from the cliffside. She brought him back to the village and showed that there was nothing to be afraid of. This can increase understanding of diversity with young people because it shows that we are usually only threatened or angered by something that is different because we don't fully understand it. If we take the time to learn more, most likely you will find that there is nothing to be afraid of. Also, Doña Flor knows that she was once considered fearful and can relate to the puppy and help them become friends. ( )
  murandapatanda | Mar 8, 2016 |
I like this book for a few reasons. Since this is a tale about a Latina woman, the author incorporated Spanish words into the book. That is a very good strategy because it allows the reader to broaden their horizons. For example, the author wrote, “when Flor finally stopped growing, she built her own house, una casa.” Not only does the author include bilingual text, she also uses the words in a way that the readers can easily gather meaning of the unfamiliar Spanish words. Another thing I really liked was the illustrations. The illustrator did a good job at making sure that it was clear just how large Dona Flor really is. The illustration drew the perspectives really well. When Dona Flor is shown sleeping in the cloud with her animal friends, the coyotes are as big as her big toe. This gives the readers a very clear idea of how big she really is. The main idea of this story is that if you have a big hear and a vast imagination, you can go anywhere.
  Abeckl1 | Dec 2, 2015 |
Dona Flor is well, a giant woman with a great big heart. She makes tortillas the size of roofs for her neighbors, reads to them, and is friends with all the plants and animals. She 'saves' her village from a puma with the help of her animal friends.
  Stephanie_Addison | Dec 2, 2015 |
I thought that this was a great folktale that is different than most tall-tales that I have read until now. Most folklore's that I had been introduced to as a child centered around European tales and were always written with a 'once upon a time' or a 'and they lived happily ever after'. This story's strength lies in it being so unlike other folklore's and it also being so rich in its Spanish cultural origin. It is obvious when reading this story that it is a Spanish folklore because the illustrations reflect the origin in the houses, clothing, and landscapes and the narrative also uses the Spanish language. ( )
  kvc62 | Apr 16, 2015 |
I had mixed feeling about this book after reading it. I liked the book because the illustrations were very beautiful, they were all cool colors and made the story more welcoming as I read it. But I didn't like the plot of the story, there was a giant girl who tried to help everyone. I didn't understand the multiculturalism in the book, some words were spelled in Spanish but besides that I didn't think that it grasped another culture at all. I would not recommend this book to any young readers because I found it confusing to follow. ( )
  jherrm1 | Apr 4, 2015 |

Pat Moraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, RaúlIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Doña Flor is a giant lady who lives in a tiny village in the American Southwest. Popular with her neighbors, she lets the children use her flowers as trumpets and her leftover tortillas as rafts. Flor loves to read, too, and she can often be found reading aloud to the children. One day, all the villagers hear a terrifying noise: it sounds like a huge animal bellowing just outside their village. Everyone is afraid, but not Flor. She wants to protect her beloved neighbors, so with the help of her animal friends, she sets off for the highest mesa to find the creature. Soon enough, though, the joke is on Flor and her friends, who come to rescue her, as she discovers the small secret behind that great big noise.

The creators of TOMÁS AND THE LIBRARY LADY, Pat Mora and Raul Colón, have once again joined together. This time they present a heartwarming and humorous original tall tale-peppered with Spanish words and phrases about a giant lady with a great big heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

Dona Flor, a giant lady with a big heart, sets off to protect her neighbors from what they think is a dangerous animal, but soon discovers the tiny secret behind the huge noise.

14 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,955,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible