The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

English (184)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (188)
I wanted to like this book - I though the characters were flat the language stilted although it may have lost something in the translation. I really didn't have a feel for the location or the investigation. I really wish the author would have detailed Ishigami's reason for doing what he did which I though was a bit unbelievable. I kind of shook my head after finishing this book - because I though it could have been so much better. I don't know maybe I missed something. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
On our weekend in Pismo Beach, I started and finished The Devotion of Suspect X, which was a fast, interesting read. The plot (saying anymore would probably ruin it for you, but as you can guess, there’s a dead person and it’s a who-dunnit) and the intellectual skirmishes between mathematics genius Ishigami and his university schoolmate Yukawa are engaging. The climax is quite gasp-worthy as is the character of Ishigami. But I have to say that the writing is nothing much to shout about – I keep comparing it to Natsuo Kirino’s Out (the only other Japanese crime novel I’ve read so far) and just felt I got so much more out of that one, a greater sense of character and place, for starters. There is such a coldness about The Devotion of Suspect X. Everything seemed so sterile and it just seemed like it needed a bit more meat. Still it was a fun read (if you find it fun to read about murders and cover-ups). ( )
  olduvai | Jan 19, 2016 |
An unusual book. Most books lead you to a murderer at the end of the book, here you know from the start, but it still keeps you in suspense because you keep on wondering when the police will figure it out and make an arrest. In the beginning I had a problem with all the Japanese names but you get used to it. The story twists and turns and the ending is very surprising and very clever. It makes perfect sense and you just do not see it coming. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
Because I tend to prefer character-driven books, I was surprised how involved I got in this mystery. We learn how the man dies at the beginning of this book. The rest of the book is devoted to learning how or if the police will discover what happened and how. There's still plenty of suspense. This is a battle between two geniuses, one a mathematician and one a physicist working with his policeman friend.

The story takes place in Tokyo, but for me the location is not a big part of the story (unless bento meals, hostesses in clubs, and basic concepts of Japanese society are totally unfamiliar to you).

Information about the characters is sparse, and is learned through deduction like the rest of the puzzle, yet we are given just enough details to stay interested and curious. There's no question this is a smart book and a smart writer. When you think you understand the situation, you may not.

I alternated between listening and reading, which was a nice choice with this book. Excellent narration by David Pittu (despite a few Japanese place names not pronounced quite right).

Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Anyone may be capable of murder, but only a mathematical genius can concoct a foolproof plan for getting away with it. That’s the premise of THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X, Keigo Higashino’s ingeniously plotted mystery about a math teacher who deduces that the neighbor he worships has murdered her abusive ex-husband and then calmly offers to help her escape the consequences. “Logical thinking will get us through this,” Tetsuya Ishigami promises...
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Feb 25, 2011)

Higashino, Keigoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, Elye J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Alexander O.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At 7:35 A.M. Ishigami left his apartment as he did every weekday morning.
The series name of 'Detective Galileo' relates to the character  Manabu Yukawa who is a professor and physicist in the books and is frequently consulted by his friend, a detective in the Tokyo police - he is affectionately known as 'Detective Galileo'

Yasuko Hanaoka, a divorced single mother, thought she had finally escaped her abusive ex-husband. But when he shows up one day, threatening both her and her teenaged daughter, Misato, the situation quickly escalates and he ends up dead on her apartment floor. Without hesitation, her enigmatic neighbor, Ishigami, a brilliant math teacher whose devotion to Yasuko runs deep, offers to calculate the perfect alibi. His one condition is that the two women must follow his instructions to the letter.

Detective Kusanagi of the Tokyo Police, faced with a brutal murder and evidence that doesn't add up, seeks the advice of his college friend Dr. Manabu Yukawa, a brilliant physicist nicknamed "Detective Galileo." Yukawa knows the math genius from his past, and what ensues is a fierce battle of wits, one mastermind against another, one using all his skill and wits to uncover the truth, the other risking everything, proving the depths of his devotion.

Yasuko Hanaoka is a divorced, single mother who thought she had finally escaped her abusive ex-husband Togashi. When he shows up one day to extort money from her, threatening both her and her teenaged daughter Misato, the situation quickly escalates into violence and Togashi ends up dead on her apartment floor. Overhearing the commotion, Yasuko’s next door neighbor, middle-aged high school mathematics teacher Ishigami, offers his help, disposing not only of the body but plotting the cover-up step-by-step.

When the body turns up and is identified, Detective Kusanagi draws the case and Yasuko comes under suspicion. Kusanagi is unable to find any obvious holes in Yasuko’s manufactured alibi and yet is still sure that there’s something wrong. Kusanagi brings in Dr. Manabu Yukawa, a physicist and college friend who frequently consults with the police. Yukawa, known to the police by the nickname Professor Galileo, went to college with Ishigami. After meeting up with him again, Yukawa is convinced that Ishigami had something to do with the murder. What ensues is a high level battle of wits, as Ishigami tries to protect Yasuko by outmaneuvering and outthinking Yukawa, who faces his most clever and determined opponent yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:06 -0400)

Yasuko Hanaoka thought she had escaped her abusive ex-husband Togashi. When he shows up one day, the situation quickly escalates and Togashi ends up dead. Yasuko's next-door-neighbor Ishigami offers his help, not only disposing of the body, but plotting the cover-up as well.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,182,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible