The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino
1,10019510,878 (3.79)136

English (194)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (199)
This is really an upside down mystery... you know who dunnit from the outset, but are taken on a path of wondering if and how the police will solve the crime. It's a complex path, created by one of the main characters, a math professor who is accustomed to taking advantage of his student's assumptions to create difficult mathematical problems. He does the same in covering up a murder which leads us and the detectives down an intriguing path. Even knowing this was the basis of his strategy, and loving a good logic puzzle as much as anyone, I never saw the ending coming. I listened to the audio book, it's well read and has a nice pace that made me look forward to my next run so I could listen to more. ( )
  asawyer | May 7, 2018 |
This is my second book by Higashino, having recently read his excellent Malice. Both are murder mysteries and both quite cerebral, like chess games rather than car chases and shoot-em-ups. Lots of unexpected twists but you need some patience because of the small details and inconsistencies picked up by the star detective with the nickname of Galileo (in Devotion of Suspect X - not in Malice). But the characters and plot are so absorbing that I found it hard to put down. The plot revolves around a quiet, somewhat obsessive mathematics teacher who falls in love with a woman working in a lunch box shop. Her ex husband gets murdered. We know who did it immediately, being witnesses to it, but what is interesting is the lengths her admirer goes to prove her innocence - suspenseful and fascinating. Like Murakami's novels, the writing is very easy to read. The main 'detective', Galileo, actually doesn't work for the police. He is a physics professor who is a close friend of the investigating police detective and who helps solve crimes with him. ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
Description
Yasuko Hanaoka is a divorced, single mother who thought she had finally escaped her abusive ex-husband Togashi. When he shows up one day to extort money from her, threatening both her and her teenaged daughter Misato, the situation quickly escalates into violence and Togashi ends up dead on her apartment floor. Overhearing the commotion, Yasuko’s next door neighbor, middle-aged high school mathematics teacher Ishigami, offers his help, disposing not only of the body but plotting the cover-up step-by-step. When Detective Kusanagi of the Tokyo Police tries to piece together the events of that day, he finds himself confronted by the most puzzling, mysterious circumstances he has ever investigated. Nothing quite makes sense, and it will take a genius to understand the genius behind this particular crime.

Even though I knew at the beginning who killed Togashi, it was an interesting story that switched back and forth between the ex-wife and neighbor plotting the cover-up and the police trying to figure things out with the help of a college professor with exceptional observational skills. I was rooting for the ex-wife to get away with it because the ex-husband was a menace to her and her daughter. There were a few things early in the story that I thought were a bit questionable but I got past that. The ending had several surprises that I didn’t have any inkling about. I was curious about this book as it was a best-seller in Japan. I’ve read very few, if any, Japanese authors. I liked this one. ( )
  gaylebutz | Oct 30, 2017 |
Yasuko divorced her abusive ex-husband, but that hasn't stopped him from finding out where she's living, and harassing her and her teenaged daughter. One night he ends up dead on Yusuko's apartment floor. Their neighbour knows what they've done and quickly devises a plan to cover up what really happened.

The characters are well developed and believable, and the story is full of twists and turns that will shock you. This book was amazing.

I received a free copy through Goodreads First Reads.
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I stumbled onto this one by accident. I'd seen a foreign film that I liked and the Wikipedia page for it said it was loosely based on this novel, so I bought it to give it a try, and in the end I can only see a few similarities between the two but not enough to really claim the book and the movie were much alike. I'm getting off topic. Regardless of all that, I quite enjoyed the book.

I like reading stories that take place in wildly different cultures, because it not only educates me about those cultures, but often I'm surprised by the way the stories unfold. American/English authors (whether they acknowledge this or not) often slip into familiar patterns that we, the readers, begin to anticipate before we realize what we're doing.

For instance, take the "Rule of Three." This is an actual thing. Here's the Wikipedia entry for it:

"The rule of three or power of three is a writing principle that suggests that things that come in threes are funnier, more satisfying, or more effective than other numbers of things. The reader or audience of this form of text is also thereby more likely to remember the information. This is because having three entities combines both brevity and rhythm with having the smallest amount of information to create a pattern. It makes the author or speaker appear knowledgeable while being both simple and catchy."

I wonder if this is an Western concept, whereas other cultures (Eastern?) may not have developed the same patterns in their story-telling. They have their own patterns, which are unfamiliar to a Western reader. So lots of times in a book written by someone Asian/Eastern, where we (Westerners) would expect to see a pattern of three, the Asian writer throws us for a loop and does something completely different.

That's the sort of thing I see all over the place when I read books from Asia, and it intrigues me. Not the lack of the "Rule of Three," per se, but just a sense of randomness that I can't foresee. And I like it. I like that I start to anticipate one thing, and suddenly the narrative goes in a different direction. Keeps me on my toes.

Anyway, not to digress further and again, I had fun with that sort of thing in this book, the sense of curiosity I felt in reading something that had an unfamiliar structure and kept me guessing. And on top of that, it's just a really good detective story. You see the story unfold from the point of view of the detective as well as the "bad guy" at the same time, so it's not a whodunit or even a howdunit, but a "which of these two brilliant people will out smart the other" type of story. Also, you're sympathetic to both (there really isn't a "bad guy" in this story), so while I was reading it, I honestly didn't know who to root for. (See, there's another example of a standard Western trope, good guy vs. bad guy, that gets turned on it's head.)

And even though you know the whole story from the start, the writer still manages to add a few "gotchas" at the end that maybe you weren't expecting.

Fun read. ( )
  invisiblelizard | Feb 3, 2017 |
Anyone may be capable of murder, but only a mathematical genius can concoct a foolproof plan for getting away with it. That’s the premise of THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X, Keigo Higashino’s ingeniously plotted mystery about a math teacher who deduces that the neighbor he worships has murdered her abusive ex-husband and then calmly offers to help her escape the consequences. “Logical thinking will get us through this,” Tetsuya Ishigami promises...
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Feb 25, 2011)

Higashino, Keigoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, Elye J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Alexander O.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At 7:35 A.M. Ishigami left his apartment as he did every weekday morning.
The series name of 'Detective Galileo' relates to the character  Manabu Yukawa who is a professor and physicist in the books and is frequently consulted by his friend, a detective in the Tokyo police - he is affectionately known as 'Detective Galileo'

Yasuko Hanaoka, a divorced single mother, thought she had finally escaped her abusive ex-husband. But when he shows up one day, threatening both her and her teenaged daughter, Misato, the situation quickly escalates and he ends up dead on her apartment floor. Without hesitation, her enigmatic neighbor, Ishigami, a brilliant math teacher whose devotion to Yasuko runs deep, offers to calculate the perfect alibi. His one condition is that the two women must follow his instructions to the letter.

Detective Kusanagi of the Tokyo Police, faced with a brutal murder and evidence that doesn't add up, seeks the advice of his college friend Dr. Manabu Yukawa, a brilliant physicist nicknamed "Detective Galileo." Yukawa knows the math genius from his past, and what ensues is a fierce battle of wits, one mastermind against another, one using all his skill and wits to uncover the truth, the other risking everything, proving the depths of his devotion.

When the body turns up and is identified, Detective Kusanagi draws the case and Yasuko comes under suspicion. Kusanagi is unable to find any obvious holes in Yasuko’s manufactured alibi and yet is still sure that there’s something wrong. Kusanagi brings in Dr. Manabu Yukawa, a physicist and college friend who frequently consults with the police. Yukawa, known to the police by the nickname Professor Galileo, went to college with Ishigami. After meeting up with him again, Yukawa is convinced that Ishigami had something to do with the murder. What ensues is a high level battle of wits, as Ishigami tries to protect Yasuko by outmaneuvering and outthinking Yukawa, who faces his most clever and determined opponent yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:06 -0400)

Yasuko Hanaoka thought she had escaped her abusive ex-husband Togashi. When he shows up one day, the situation quickly escalates and Togashi ends up dead. Yasuko's next-door-neighbor Ishigami offers his help, not only disposing of the body, but plotting the cover-up as well.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Keigo Higashino's book The Devotion of Suspect X was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,933,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible