Death of the Liberal Class by Chris Hedges

Death of the Liberal Class (edition 2011)

by Chris Hedges

Member:thomasczyz
Title:Death of the Liberal Class
Authors:Chris Hedges
Info:Nation Books (2011), Edition: First Trade Paper Edition, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read - Complete

Death of the Liberal Class by Chris Hedges

For decades the liberal class was a defense against the worst excesses of power. But the pillars of the liberal class— the press, universities, the labor movement, the Democratic Party, and liberal religious institutions—have collapsed. In its absence, the poor, the working class, and even the middle class no longer have a champion.

In this searing polemic Chris Hedges indicts liberal institutions, including his former employer, the New York Times, who have distorted their basic beliefs in order to support unfettered capitalism, the national security state, globalization, and staggering income inequalities. Hedges argues that the death of the liberal class created a profound vacuum at the heart of American political life. And now speculators, war profiteers, and demagogues— from militias to the Tea Party—are filling the void.
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
This book describes that when the Liberal class no longer functions, we are in trouble. Chris Hedges details that the death of the liberal class removes an important check and balance against the powers that be. I can see what he is talking about all around me. The simple fact is, if things remain the same, the working and middle classes are getting really ticked-off. We have politicians and leaders that no longer work for us. They are controlled by American corporations, like Halliburton, that steals from U.S. citizens, and it is allowed to. It is time to remove corporate protection for officers of corporations, and we should not allowed any corporation or business to contribute to politicians or fund political action committees, and lobbyists should be removed from congress. The forefathers of this country were terrified of corporations, and so should we be. They own this country and our politicians. If nothing changes our democracy is done. The middle and working classes are beginning to hate democratic institutions and the top one percent. Something needs to be done now, before it is to late.
This is the book to really start you thinking. ( )
  robrod1 | May 23, 2013 |
This is a powerful, prophetic book, but very gloomy. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Great analysis; but seems to have been a little rushed. Better fact checking would have been useful. M Ignatief is not the leader of Canada's Labour Party. ( )
  lfcb | Mar 30, 2013 |
Overwhelming, exhausting -- this book could be divided into 17 books, it covered so much. Brilliant. He dares speak the truths that seldom, sometimes never, get into print. I have never devoted such a long, intesive time (per page) on any book. The historical views of the US labour movement pre WWII were fascinating. His firing from the NY Times was very intriguing. And I could go on for weeks. I must read it over -- too much to absorb. And the last dozen pages which I've just finished will make for an uneasy sleep tonight: The stark outline of humanity's immanent demise which we, as heedless consumers; and corporations, now the unchallengable demonic rulers of the planet, have brought about by disregarding the limited capacities of our earth & air.
. . . to be continued . . . [I'm ashamed to stick this little "review" in with some of the magnificent ones on this website] ( )
  C-WHY | Oct 20, 2012 |
At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas
which it is assumed that all right-thinking people will
accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to say
this, that or the other, but it is "not done" to say it, just as in
mid-Victorian times it was "not done" to mention trousers
in the presence of a lady. Anyone who challenges the prevail-
ing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising effec-
tiveness. A genuinely unfashionable opinion is almost never
given a fair hearing, either in the popular press or in the
highbrow periodicals.
--George Orsell, "Freedom of the Press"
For Eunice,
Tv mihi cvrarvm reqvies, tv nocte vel atra lvmen,
et in solis tv mihi tvrba locis.
Ernest Logan Bell, an unemployed twenty-five-year-old Marine Corps veteran, walks along Route 12 in Upstate New York.

Asserts that the liberal class has failed to confront the rise of the corporate state and argues that the five parts of the liberal establishment--the press, liberal religious institutions, unions, universities, and the Democratic Party--are more concerned with status and privilege than justice and progress.… (more)

92 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible