3096 Tage by Natascha Kampusch

Info:Ullstein Taschenbuchvlg. (2012), Paperback
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Tags:non-fiction deutsch, read in 2013

3,096 Days by Natascha Kampusch

English (7)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (12)
Synopsis: This book tells the true story of Natascha's kidnapping when she was only 8 years old on her way to school, from her point of view. The beginning tells of her trying to figure out the purpose of her abduction and why, out of everyone, she was kidnapped.

Living in a dungeon as a child made her made her lonely and at the start she looked forward to the kidnapper's presence, often begging him to play games with her to keep her company. Left by herself for days on end, any connection to the outside world such as via radio, and anything to keep her mind pre-occupied such as the books and TV programmes the kidnapper brought her brought her a little bit of solace.

As the years went by and Natascha's hope of being rescued diminished, the kidnapper became more vicious and repeatedly abused her, often leaving her to the brink of starvation. Any time Natascha was let out of her dungeon to do household chores around the home, she was closely monitored.

Towards the end, Priklopil, considering a lifelong future with Natascha, ended up taking her outside of the house a handful of times to run errands with him. The amount of times she comes close to freedom and her first encounter with people other than Priklopil leaves you hanging on.

My Opinion: I can only imagine the pain and suffering that Natascha must have endured, having 8 years of her life taken away from her. The book doesn't do her story justice. At times links were missing, and as the reader you often felt the emotionless state she must have felt being trapped away. I have since done some reading online to see pictures of her dungeon and read police reports.

This is not the kind of book that has a fairy-tale ending, this is a diary - the bare telling - of Natascha's kidnapping. ( )
  Moniica | Jan 14, 2017 |
Ispovjest o osam godina provedenih u zatocenistvu, o kaznjavanjima i pritiscima koje je podnijela...potresna prica. ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
An incredible memoir of survival. Mrs.Kampusch details her years spent in captivity and explains how she finally managed to break free. She has a lot of insight into the psychological aspects of her experience and she never portraits herself as a victim. Nevertheless it is heartbreaking to imagine a young child locked in a basement by some crazy man. This is a story that will stay with me for a while. ( )
  Lilac_Lily01 | Oct 9, 2013 |
In march of 1998 the ten year old Natascha disappears on her way to school in a suburb to Vienna. The search is intense for a couple of months, after which the girl is presumed dead. But Natascha is alive, kept prisoner in a five square meter room in a sound isolated basement behind two thick concrete doors and a hidden corridor. Her abductor is Wolfgang Priklopil, a young man suffering from severe paranoid schizophrenia. Eight years later Natascha manages to escape, upon which Priklopil promptly kills himself. Her fate becomes a ruthless media craze, and she is more or less forced under ground again. This book is her own account of the years in imprisonment.

This is a quick, gruesome and deeply fascinating read. Natascha describes the years in Priklopil’s basement without sentiment, and with an impressive amount of analysis. She describes in horrid detail how her “role” changed over time from pampered child to work slave to “wife”, the violence, the terror, the psychological torture – food, sleep and light deprivation, altering of reality, manipulation of memory. But also more complex aspects: how Natascha managed to keep some feeling of superiority towards her prisoner over all the years and how high the threshold to escape actually was.

Perhaps most interesting is her description of the evolving, complicated relationship to Priklopil. She sharply denounces the idea of Stockholm Syndrome, meaning that such a label takes away her right to interpret her experience. She talks about how Priklopil was the only person she met for eight years, and that despite the violence and terror, there was also a mutuality there that was necessary for her survival. And there were “good times” too. In the end, after her release, this unwillingness to talk about absolute evil, the victim refusing to play the role of victim, is what the media has a hard time handling, and she faces some rather appalling aggressiveness as a result.

A strong young woman with a unique story – and a book that won’t make you feel like a dirty scavenger for reading it. Recommended. ( )
1 vote GingerbreadMan | Oct 26, 2012 |
I chose this book from a pile at the monthly Beijing Bookswap because there was little else that grabbed me and I was short of time. Not at all my usual type of book, I suspected it would be another of the growing genre of misery memoirs and I was quite prepared to abandon reading if it didn't grab me. However, I found that right from the beginning of the bookNatascha's strong personality was evident, and she told her story clearly with a remarkably unemotional style. I was struck by how, only a few years after her ordeal ended she was able to look back so dispassionately, and analyse both her childhood self and her abductor with such mature clarity. Although I realise she had help writing this book I thought her real voice came through clearly, and she is an impressive young woman - not a victim, a survivor. This book will certainly add to the understanding of how human beings cope with solitary confinement, sensory deprivation and psychological trauma. I wish her well in the rest of her life. ( )
1 vote herschelian | Mar 15, 2012 |
My mother lit a cigarette and took a deep puff.

On 2 March 1998, ten-year-old Natascha Kampusch was snatched off the street by a stranger and bundled into a white van. Hours later she found herself in a dark cellar, wrapped in a blanket. When she emerged eight years later, her childhood had gone. Here Natascha tells her amazing story for the first time: what exactly happened on the day of her abduction, her imprisonment in a five-square-metre dungeon, and the mental and physical abuse she suffered from her abductor, Wolfgang Priklopil.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,898,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible