The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's…

The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human (edition 2011)

by V. S. Ramachandran

Member:magaliur
Title:The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human
Authors:V. S. Ramachandran
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 357 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:ensayo, neurología

The Tell-Tale Brain by V. S. Ramachandran

director of the Center for Brain and Cognition at UCSD, explores why humans, who are "anatomically, neurologically and genetically, physiologically apes," are not "merely" apes. While animals can communicate with sound and gesture, and chimpanzees can even use words to express immediate needs, humans have developed the ability to speak in structurally complex sentences, and often speak in metaphor. Ramachandran speculates that, as we can map another's actions and intuit their thoughts, we also map our own sensory apparatus, perceiving our surroundings—and perceiving ourselves perceiving our surroundings. We imagine the future and speculate about the past and seek to understand our place in the universe, laying the foundation for our the sense of free will; we not only envisage future actions, but are aware of their potential consequences and the responsibility for our choices. Richard Dawkins has called Ramachandran "the Marco Polo of neuroscience," and with good reason. He offers a fascinating explanation of cutting-edge-neurological research that deepens our understanding of the relationship between the perceptions of the mind and the workings of the brain ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
Young Reader Reaction: Ramachandran is a brilliant neuro-scientist who has written a marvelous book. I would definitely pick it up. I never thought a non-fiction book could be so interesting but this book just blew my mind.

Pros: Fascinating detail and real stories make this a book a page-turner for teens. Even though it is heavily scientific, the writing is very accessible and understandable for a YA audience.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Feb 7, 2014 |
He's no Steven Pinker. ( )
  SpaceyAcey | Sep 23, 2013 |
Clear, thought-provoking, frontier work, sometimes moving about the gradually unfolding mystery of what humans are - and even funny in places. Central theme is mirror neurons; he makes a good case for looking at the detail (reductionist) in order to explain the everyday observable levels of behaviour. Top brain book of the last few years, I'd say. ( )
  vguy | Dec 9, 2012 |
"Ramachandran uses neuroscience to explore questions of human existence through the discussion of very unusual cases."
read more at: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/tell-tale-brain-vs-ramachandran.ht... ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Jul 23, 2012 |
"{T}he book is packed with other evidence that neuroscience has made illuminating progress in recent years. Reading such accounts of exactly what our brains get up to is apt to leave one with the disconcerting thought that they are often a lot cleverer than their owners realize. "

Drawing on strange and thought-provoking case studies, an eminent neurologist offers unprecedented insight into the evolution of the uniquely human brain.

V. S. Ramachandran is at the forefront of his field-so much so that Richard Dawkins dubbed him the "Marco Polo of neuroscience." Now, in a major new work, Ramachandran sets his sights on the mystery of human uniqueness. Taking us to the frontiers of neurology, he reveals what baffling and extreme case studies can teach us about normal brain function and how it evolved. Synesthesia becomes a window into the brain mechanisms that make some of us more creative than others. And autism—for which Ramachandran opens a new direction for treatment—gives us a glimpse of the aspect of being human that we understand least: self-awareness. Ramachandran tackles the most exciting and controversial topics in neurology with a storyteller's eye for compelling case studies and a researcher's flair for new approaches to age-old questions. Tracing the strange links between neurology and behavior, this book unveils a wealth of clues into the deepest mysteries of the human brain. 15 black-and-white illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:19 -0400)

Ramachandran -- the "Marco Polo of neuroscience"-- reveals what baffling and extreme case studies can teach us about normal brain function and how it evolved. Among the topics he discusses are synesthesia as a window to creativity and autism as a springboard to understanding self-awareness.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,962,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible