Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and…

Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain (edition 2010)

by Portia de Rossi

Member:pansy_lane
Title:Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
Authors:Portia de Rossi
Info:Atria (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Biography/Memoir
Tags:memoir, kindle

Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi

Great insight into the mind of this anorexic woman, but it was torture reading about it. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |
I was surprised by how much I liked this; she writes with a very strong, consistent voice and provides a very rational picture of a ruthlessly irrational disease. She painted such a clear picture of her thinking without being at all pedantic; this made her voice all the more powerful: hers were just "normal" thought processes. Honestly, it amazes me that people read this book and, in their review, say "I couldn't relate. It didn't make sense." I thought *everyone* had those kinds of thoughts to some extent. I stayed up very late into the night to finish it.

The epilogue provided a slight shift of voice and small turn toward the pedantic, by which I decided not to be off-put as it was quite brief and, in a way, the shift was justified. She had found a new way of living and thinking, and she had to replace the prominence of those old thoughts with new things about which to be passionate: vegetarianism, learning new skills, reconnecting with former joys.

Ellen is introduced in the epilogue, in what is presented as a common occurrence, nursing wounded birds back to health. With that image, I thought "Oh no, don't say she "saved you". But then, on second thought, if the broken love that was offered to you as a child shaped so much of your thinking and compulsions, it is often true that when someone offers you a complete, safe, trusting love -- even incidentally -- that can heal much in your spirit (yes, I know that sounds cheesy). So, though I don't think another person can really "save" anyone, I think the love and care that is offered to a hurting person can certainly help the healing process and allow them to realize, at the very least, they can feel safe and begin to break old, deceptive life patterns -- or at least begin to acknowledge them as deceptive.

(There were several editorial errors, most noticeably using "exasperate" when "exacerbate" was required (p 185); the editors should have caught all those things.) ( )
  SaraMSLIS | Jan 26, 2016 |
"Unbearable Lightness", by Portia De Rossi is a very raw autobiography of a woman who battles with self imagine and acceptance. The author is very honest with intimate details of the struggle she has with an eating disorder.

I enjoyed the style the book was written in. It was a very easy book to read. I definitely have a new perspective about eating disorders. I think as women we all struggle with self image at one point in our lives and this book is relatable on that front.

I would recommend this book and would read this author again. ( )
  Jtalley2 | May 21, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this autobiography by Portia De Rossi, where she openly and honestly discusses her battle with anorexia. It was an easy book to read, and one that I would highly recommend for others to read. ( )
  amme_mr | May 5, 2015 |
I found myself crying towards the end of the book. I could not believe how similar my experience with being gay was like in comparison with Portia. I just never imagined I would be thinking the exact same things a "celebrity" would be thinking. She inspires me to be myself. Even though I don't have issues with my weight and I happen to love my body I am still able to take away from her book the core message I think she is trying to convey: Everyone is beautiful but YOU have to believe it to be true and not rely on the acceptance of others. ( )
  ericadrayton | Jan 8, 2015 |
To Ellen, for showing me what beauty is
He doesn't wait until I'm awake.

Known for her roles on the hit TV shows "Ally McBeal" and "Arrested Development," de Rossi delivers a revelatory and searing account of the years she spent secretly suffering from bulimia, all the while living under the glare of Hollywood's bright lights.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,086,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible