The Lake of Dreams: A Novel by Kim Edwards

The Lake of Dreams: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Kim Edwards

6454214,980 (3.38)1 / 25
Member:mpmills
Title:The Lake of Dreams: A Novel
Authors:Kim Edwards
Info:Viking Adult (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:fiction, 2011

The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards

English (41)  German (1)  All languages (42)
Not as good as her 1st book but I would still recommend the title. ( )
  INorris | Jun 22, 2014 |
I agree with reviews about excessive "dream reviews in this novel. Novel tends to run on and I finished it still wondering why Rose was so important to Lucy. I just didn't get it. ( )
  Smits | Mar 12, 2014 |
The Memory Keeper's Daughter must have been better. I was amazing how unlikeable the protagonist was. Self centered and self absorbed and thereby making frequently heartless and selfish decisions. It is one way to move a plot forward. We would have done some more editing. Lots of repeated scenes recalled, lots of phrases re-used. ( )
  torreyhouse | Feb 10, 2014 |
Listened to audio version. Thought it would never end. Wasn't terribly impressed. ( )
  sharlene_w | Oct 26, 2013 |
Yuck ( )
  hemlokgang | Oct 24, 2013 |
Her fans won't be disappointed with her second novel. Though a little long-winded and too heavily metaphorical at times, The Lake of Dreams is as enchanting as her first novel...Edwards' emphasis on metaphors and symbolism does slow the story down. Readers may also notice that the characters' dialogue tends to be overly long and detailed, so not always realistic. She also relies too heavily on coincidence and luck in her plot. But in the final analysis, this novel is a dream.

Kim Edwards has, in fact, done it again, riveting us to her story. And if one can take issue at all with the book, it would be a need to carp over the touches of political correctness that pervade each of her characters! This tendency in the author’s delineations does take from them a certain credibility. It tells us as well that Edwards, while a natural in the telling of a tale, has yet to learn that characters are wholly convincing when they act within a story’s limits and not by advertising their “green” credentials, “do-goodism” or socially-minded intentions. Nor, are “bad guys” necessarily defined by those who would change the landscape, build towering buildings, or profit by their enterprise..Even so, Edward’s The Lake of Dreams is a notable contribution and a worthy successor to her first novel.

Edwards’s pen has a wanderlust, a restlessness that propels the narrative from past to present and from New York City to England and Jakarta. The novel is rich in historical detail, clearly the fruit of decent research into early New York feminist circles...This is both a good and a bad thing. Though Edwards has a trademark ability to spin a good yarn, the plot often snags and drags as its distracting tangents multiply.....And while The Memory Keeper’s Daughter got page-turning power from a shocking premise, Edwards seems almost determined to keep her new tale from being too implausible. In the process, she has denied it some spark....
The Lake of Dreams is a kind of mystery novel of the self, about a woman caught in the undertow of history. It may not have the blockbuster potential of Edwards’s first book, but it grips in a quieter, gentler way.

Voor mijn familie, vooral voor mijn ouders, John en Shirley
Ik heb kennis van alle, beide van verborgen en openbare dingen, want de wijsheid, die van alle dingen een kunstenares is, heeft ze mij geleerd.
Boek der Wijsheid 7:21
Een rechte lijnn heeft niets geheimzinnigs, Het geheimzinnige achuilt in de bol.
Thomas Mann, Joseph und seiner Brüder

Lucy Jarrett staat op een kruispunt in haar leven en besluit een tijdje terug te gaan naar haar geboortedorp. Eenmaal in het ouderlijk huis dringt de gedachte aan de raadselachtige dood van haar vader zich aan haar op. Ze voelt zich schuldig omdat ze hem alleen gelaten heeft op de avond waarop hij verdronk en vraagt zich af waarom hij eigenlijk ruzie had met zijn broer. Bij toeval ontdekt ze een verzameling spullen die haar familiegeschiedenis in een heel ander licht plaatsen. Als ook oude gevoelens voor haar jeugdliefde – een glasblazer – opflakkeren weet ze: het is tijd om schoon schip te maken. Een meeslepende roman waarin heden en verleden prachtig in elkaar overvloeien.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670022179, Hardcover)

A Letter from Kim Edwards

Dear Readers,

The Memory Keeper’s Daughter was that rare thing, a true word-of-mouth best seller, and I want to begin this letter by thanking all the readers who have been part of this amazing experience. I appreciate your passion for books and for stories, your intense and thoughtful conversations, and the comments you have sent to me from across the country and across the world.

Now, I’m really pleased and excited to introduce you to my new novel, The Lake of Dreams. Set in the beautiful Finger Lakes area of upstate New York, this novel is the story of Lucy Jarrett and her discovery of a hidden past, glimpsed first through fragments of old letters and traces left in stained glass windows. Lucy’s quest through the artifacts of history brings her face to face with the dynamics she fled the summer after her father drowned; it compels her to make an inward journey, too, one that will alter her understanding of herself and change the course of her life.

The Lake of Dreams is a book I’ve been imagining for a long time. Years ago I wrote a 400 page draft of a different novel that had some of these same thematic concerns, including a complex family history, the importance of the land, and the comet connecting generations. That early novel ended up in a box in my basement, as so many first novels do, though I did return to it from time to time, and once I even made it 200 pages into another version before I put it aside again. Meanwhile, I finished my story collection, The Secrets of a Fire King. I wrote The Memory Keeper’s Daughter.

Yet the essence of the earlier story persisted, and shortly after The Memory Keeper’s Daughter was finished, but before it was published, I started writing The Lake of Dreams. Those earlier, discarded drafts had finally brought me to the heart of the story, and this time I had the voice, which is always the crucial discovery. Then the characters from the past began to emerge, with all their fascinating revelations. I immersed myself in the writing, and this new novel was well underway before the excitement of the best seller lists and book tours began. When things began to quiet down again, it was a real pleasure to return to The Lake of Dreams, to Lucy and her family and the mysteries of glass, and to the story that was waiting for me there.

I’ll be going on tour for The Lake of Dreams in January.

Best wishes to my readers! I hope you enjoy The Lake of Dreams.

Warmly,

Kim Edwards

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:59 -0400)

In this book, the author tells the story of a woman's homecoming, a family secret, and the old house that holds the key to the true legacy of a family. At a crossroads in her life, Lucy Jarrett returns home from Japan, only to find herself haunted by her father's unresolved death a decade ago. Old longings stirred up by Keegan Fall, a local glass artist who was once her passionate first love, lead her into the unexpected. Late one night, as she paces the hallways of her family's rambling lakeside house, she discovers, locked in a window seat, a collection of objects that first appear to be useless curiosities. But soon they reveal a deeper and more complex family past. As Lucy discovers and explores the traces of her lineage from an heirloom tapestry and dusty political tracts to a web of allusions depicted in stained glass windows throughout upstate New York, the family story she has always known is shattered. Lucy's quest for the truth reconfigures her family's history, links her to a unique slice of the suffragette movement, and yields dramatic insights that embolden her to live freely. With surprises at every turn, this is a saga in which every element emerges as a carefully place piece of the puzzle.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,698,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible