Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't…

by Ann Louise Gittleman

193537,190 (3.13)None
Member:tcatchim
Title:Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
Authors:Ann Louise Gittleman
Info:HarperOne (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution by Ann Louise Gittleman

This is popular alarmist non-fiction (Is that its own genre now?) without being informative of the scientific basis for concerns. Devra Davis does it much better in Disconnect. ( )
  2wonderY | Mar 25, 2014 |
This book is awesome!!! It is thorough, detailed, and extremely practical. Not laden with conspiracy theories, just the hard facts. ( )
  tcatchim | Dec 19, 2012 |
Zapped - Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution by Ann Louise Gittleman is an informative read about the prevalence and damage that electromagnetic fields (EMF) and electronic pollution and how to mitigate these in the home and at work.

As the title suggests, this encompasses radiation from mobile phones, microwaves and high voltage power poles, all generally accepted by the majority of people to 'not be good for us.'

However Zapped goes even further to suggest that today's lifestyle is full of electronic devices such as wi-fi, laptops, ipads, cordless phones, ipods, televisions and time-saving kitchen appliances. Put simply, we are bombarded by EMF every day. Every room in our house has multiple devices plugged into powerpoints and some cases powerboards. At the time of writing this post, I have twelve other wi-fi networks criss-crossing mine at home making thirteen in total. Wow!

Some of us are sensitive to EMF and Gittleman believes that many health related problems that have been attributed to stress or other conditions can be attributed to EMF, even going so far as to suggest conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches, migraines and more. Her evidence and information is quite compelling and certainly makes for interesting reading.

Zapped contains many resources including websites, and suggestions for further reading and I was pleased to see reference to Earthing - The Most Important Health Discovery Ever? by Clinton Ober which is one way to reduce EMF exposure. I've read this book, purchased and use the products daily.

Zapped is a great reference book with measurements, advice and guidance for those wanting to learn more about the environment around them. Did you know you can buy house paint to reduce your own exposure to mobile phone towers? Zapped - Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Jul 14, 2012 |

How many electronic innovations have you dialed, watched, surfed, charged, listed to, booted up, commuted on, cooked with, and plugged in today?

Consider your typical day: If you’re like most people, it probably starts in front of your coffee maker and toaster, ends as you set the alarm on your cell phone, and involves no end of computers and gadgets, televisions and microwaves in between.

We’re being zapped: Today 84 percent of Americans own a cell phone, 89 million of us watch TV beamed in by satellite, and we can’t sip a cup of coffee at our local café without being exposed to Wi-Fi. The very electronic innovations that have changed our lives are also exposing us, in ways big and small, to an unprecedented number of electromagnetic fields. Invisible pollution surrounds us twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, interrupting our bodies’ natural flow of energy. And for some, that pollution has reached the point of toxicity, causing fatigue, irritability, weakness, and even illness.

But we don’t have to simply surrender. Ann Louise Gittleman brings forth the latest research into electromagnetic fields to create this groundbreaking guide for every citizen of the wireless age. With the proactive, levelheaded approach that has made her one of our most respected health experts, she not only clarifies the risks but also offers specific, step-by-step information for how anyone can minimize them. From where you place your sofa to when you use your cell phone to what you eat for dinner, Zapped is packed with strategies for avoiding and mitigating the damaging effects of electropollution.

As she examines modern life room by room, device by device, Gittleman reveals a master plan for detoxifying your surroundings and protecting yourself and your family. We don’t need to abandon our homes—or even give up our PDAs—to be healthier and happier. Based on the latest scientific data, case studies, and Gittleman’s years of clinical practice, Zapped is an empowering guide to living safely with the gadgets we can’t live without.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:56 -0400)

"In the last 15 years alone, technology has expanded into every aspect of our lives. Today 84 percent of Americans own a cell phone, 89 million of us watch TV beamed to us by satellite, and you can't have a cup of coffee at Starbucks without being exposed to WI-FI. We are constantly being exposed to electromagnetic fields (EMFs), invisible lines of force that surround all electrical devices, and at a rate 100 million times greater than our grandparents were. We're being zapped--high levels of electromagnetic fields and the wavelengths and frequencies they produce have reached the point of toxicity, making us tired, irritable, and weak. Gittleman's groundbreaking book provides a proactive approach that counteracts the toxic effects from an almost constant bombardment of energy fields. This simple and effective program is based on the latest research, case studies, and years of clinical practice. In Zapped readers will learn the science behind digital allergies, and how to determine their level of sensitivity and measure the strength and location of harmful electromagnetic fields in your home and office. With step-by-step instruction the author walks you room-by-room, teaching you how to remake the force fields in your environment and create positive energy flow. Gittleman provides practical solutions to protect you and your family, providing a happy and healthy life coexisting with technology"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible