Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It by…

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It

by Gary Taubes

I agree with the author's central premise: that the rise of the original "Food Pyramid," with its recommendation to base our diets on "whole grains," also known as carbohydrates, is a primary cause of overweight in the U.S. Taubes provides study after study, some going back a century or more, in support of his hypothesis. It's hard to conclude anything else, when all of the evidence is considered. The question then becomes what to do about it. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
This author also wrote, "Good Calories, Bad Calories". Why We Get Fat and What to do About it is very much the same information but written in a way that we "laymen" can understand it. It is SO much more than a diet book. It enlightens one to what food does in the body and how it affects your health. LOVE IT ( )
  Mariesreads | Jun 12, 2014 |
Excellent review of medical studies of obesity over the last 100 years in different cultures, countries,economic groups and proves that over eating. lack of exercise, are not the cause, rather carbohydrates, increased blood sugar and insulin resulted in the storage of fat. Borrow audio version of this book once per year to remind myself of what works and what doesn't. Taubes book "Good Calories Bad Calories" is too scientific to read comfortably. This audio version of Why We Get Fat is the best ( )
  mcspurren | May 21, 2014 |
Gave me a better understanding of how to use the stored energy in my fat, and I had a productive conversation with my new endocrinologist as a result. I can't see extreme low carb as a lifestyle for me, but I am inspired to make some changes. ( )
  eclecticlibrarian | Jan 7, 2014 |
A very interesting view of nutrition and why we get fat. I plan to aggressively follow the guidance in this book and see if it works. Calories in vs calories out does not work for me. Now I know why. ( )
  berthacummins | Dec 31, 2013 |

An eye-opening, myth-shattering examination of what makes us fat, from acclaimed science writer Gary Taubes.

In his New York Times best seller, Good Calories, Bad Calories, Taubes argued that our diet’s overemphasis on certain kinds of carbohydrates—not fats and not simply excess calories—has led directly to the obesity epidemic we face today. The result of thorough research, keen insight, and unassailable common sense, Good Calories, Bad Calories immediately stirred controversy and acclaim among academics, journalists, and writers alike. Michael Pollan heralded it as “a vitally important book, destined to change the way we think about food.”

Building upon this critical work in Good Calories, Bad Calories and presenting fresh evidence for his claim, Taubes now revisits the urgent question of what’s making us fat—and how we can change—in this exciting new book. Persuasive, straightforward, and practical, Why We Get Fat makes Taubes’s crucial argument newly accessible to a wider audience.

Taubes reveals the bad nutritional science of the last century, none more damaging or misguided than the “calories-in, calories-out” model of why we get fat, and the good science that has been ignored, especially regarding insulin’s regulation of our fat tissue. He also answers the most persistent questions: Why are some people thin and others fat? What roles do exercise and genetics play in our weight? What foods should we eat, and what foods should we avoid?

Packed with essential information and concluding with an easy-to-follow diet, Why We Get Fat is an invaluable key in our understanding of an international epidemic and a guide to what each of us can do about it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:51 -0400)

This work is an examination of what makes us fat. In his book Good Calories, Bad Calories, the author, an acclaimed science writer argues that certain kinds of carbohydrates, not fats and not simply excess calories, have led to our current obesity epidemic. Now he brings that message to a wider, nonscientific audience. With fresh evidence for his claim, this book makes his critical argument newly accessible. He reveals the bad nutritional science of the last century, none more damaging than the "calories-in, calories-out" model of why we get fat, the good science that has been ignored, especially regarding insulin's regulation of our fat tissue. He also answers key questions: Why are some people thin and others fat? What roles do exercise and genetics play in our weight? What foods should we eat or avoid? Concluding with an easy-to-follow diet, this book is one key to understanding an international epidemic and a guide to improving our own health.… (more)

548 wanted1 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,131,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible