The Elephant Keepers' Children by Peter…

The Elephant Keepers' Children (2010)

by Peter Høeg

English (11)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (14)
If you can hear me screaming it is because I just lost my review, in which I believe fairly logically criticized this novel. It will never be as good again, so I will be brief, or least, briefer. This novel was over the top silly in the vein of Carl Hiaasen's or Dave Barry's writing, but it forgot to be laugh out loud funny. Could be compared to characters such as Flavia de Luce or Stephanie Plum. Was too long by at least 120 pages; there is a limit to how much silly the typical person can absorb, and the previously referred to authors/works know when to wrap it up. Hoeg seemed to be devoting as much space at times to the inner workings of the 14 year old protagonist's emotions and his evolving understanding of family and relationships, and these digressions did not jibe with the absurdity of the plot line. I want to put it on my abandoned shelf because I abandoned my enjoyment long before it ended. It was some time ago, but I recall enjoying [b:Smilla's Sense of Snow|124509|Smilla's Sense of Snow|Peter Høeg|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320477208s/124509.jpg|2607049]; though I could no longer draw any comparisons in terms of the writing.

I listened to the audio version, and I will say the narration was quite pleasant. The names for the legion of characters are annoyingly silly. While I suppose in Europe the attitudes toward sex are not the same as here in the States, I found some of the content to be inappropriate for the 14 year old to be exposed to, such as the thrice-enlarged breasts of the madam. And don't get me started on the Count....and finally, and I do mean finally, as this was the last paragraph of the novel, the stars do not twinkle in the night sky in the pouring rain....I think most readers can find something else they will enjoy more than this, especially for the time invested. Sorry Mr. Hoeg. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
If you can hear me screaming it is because I just lost my review, in which I believe fairly logically criticized this novel. It will never be as good again, so I will be brief, or least, briefer. This novel was over the top silly in the vein of Carl Hiaasen's or Dave Barry's writing, but it forgot to be laugh out loud funny. Could be compared to characters such as Flavia de Luce or Stephanie Plum. Was too long by at least 120 pages; there is a limit to how much silly the typical person can absorb, and the previously referred to authors/works know when to wrap it up. Hoeg seemed to be devoting as much space at times to the inner workings of the 14 year old protagonist's emotions and his evolving understanding of family and relationships, and these digressions did not jibe with the absurdity of the plot line. I want to put it on my abandoned shelf because I abandoned my enjoyment long before it ended. It was some time ago, but I recall enjoying Smilla's Sense of Snow; though I could no longer draw any comparisons in terms of the writing.

MaureenCean | Jan 5, 2016 |
I must say that it was Kirby Heyborne, the narrator of the CD version of this book, who kept me glued to this novel through the end. This was the story of 14-year-old Peter who, together with his sister Tilte and his brother Hans, went on a madcap adventure to find their missing parents, stalwarts of the Catholic church on the fictitious island of Fima. This was for me a dense book, filled with odd sorts of characters with colorful names, none of which I could remember very long. I'm not too good at deciphering mysteries, either. What held the book together, though, were the strong and almost psychic bond between Peter and Tilte and the delightful narration by Peter of his association with the many characters found throughout the story. This novel was not an easy read for me, but I found it great fun and especially loved the ending. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Feb 8, 2014 |
I finished this book a week ago and still can't decide if I "really" like it. I liked the quirkiness of the back story, especially the madcap names. And I liked the deep meaning of "finding the door." I'm just not sure the two merged together well. ( )
  artwench | Jan 29, 2014 |
Imagine the family & religious narrative of The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, but told with the humorous touch of P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves" series. That's precisely the flavor of The Elephant Keepers' Children: Peter Hoeg keeps serious subject matter light through magnificent exaggeration and wonderfully wacky character names. ( )
1 vote KayMackey | Jan 7, 2014 |
Danske Peter Høeg har skrevet en eventyrlig roman. «Elefantpassernes barn» er en storstilt, sjenerøs skrøne om svikefulle foreldre og særdeles livsdyktige barn
added by annek49 | editDagsavisen, Turid Larsen (Feb 9, 2011)

Høeg stævner ud med narreskibet
Med ’Elefantpassernes børn’ har Peter Høeg skrevet en storslået parodi på Peter Høeg.
added by annek49 | editPolitiken, Bjørn Bredal (Sep 8, 2010)

Peter Høegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Краснова, ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have found a door to the prison. It opens out onto freedom. I am writing this to show you the door.
Original Danish title: "Elefantpassernes børn"

Living on an island where all faiths coexist peacefully, precocious teen Peter and his siblings are shocked when their devout vicar father and eccentric artisan mother go missing at the height of an effort to boost church attendance.

33 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible