The Elephant Keepers' Children by Peter…

The Elephant Keepers' Children (2010)

by Peter Høeg

Recently added byrhubarbqueen, private library, Ardashir, wannabelibrarian1, Dreamchen, Janivgm, RDP, birder4106

English (9)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (11)
I must say that it was Kirby Heyborne, the narrator of the CD version of this book, who kept me glued to this novel through the end. This was the story of 14-year-old Peter who, together with his sister Tilte and his brother Hans, went on a madcap adventure to find their missing parents, stalwarts of the Catholic church on the fictitious island of Fima. This was for me a dense book, filled with odd sorts of characters with colorful names, none of which I could remember very long. I'm not too good at deciphering mysteries, either. What held the book together, though, were the strong and almost psychic bond between Peter and Tilte and the delightful narration by Peter of his association with the many characters found throughout the story. This novel was not an easy read for me, but I found it great fun and especially loved the ending. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Feb 8, 2014 |
I finished this book a week ago and still can't decide if I "really" like it. I liked the quirkiness of the back story, especially the madcap names. And I liked the deep meaning of "finding the door." I'm just not sure the two merged together well. ( )
  artwench | Jan 29, 2014 |
Imagine the family & religious narrative of The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, but told with the humorous touch of P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves" series. That's precisely the flavor of The Elephant Keepers' Children: Peter Hoeg keeps serious subject matter light through magnificent exaggeration and wonderfully wacky character names. ( )
1 vote KayMackey | Jan 7, 2014 |
I didn't get the point of this book. While I kept on reading out of sheer bloody mindedness and with the hope that it would all be explained by the end, the point just never came. I plowed through so much extra narrative and weirdness looking forward to an explanation of why Peters' parents were missing and what they had been planning. While a kind of explanation came it was neither interesting nor dramatic enough to make up for the time I lost reading the rest of the book.

I am left wondering what was the point of all the strange names of the characters. Was this just a case of literal translation into English that made them sound strange or was the author trying to get some point across! It's strangeness reminded me in parts of Douglas Coupland, particularly in the way it jumped between stories and characters with the line that "this would be explained later" but the explanation never actually coming.

Don't bother in my opinion. 1 out of 5 for getting this published. ( )
  Saucy1831 | Jul 9, 2013 |
I gotta read a book for adults next. This book features cartoon characters with cartoon names racing through frenetic, unnecessarily busy cartoon plot. The first chapter suggested there'd be some thoughtfulness and depth to follow, but no -- everything gets a shallow treatment. The one thing in this book that's well done -- very well done -- is football (soccer). The first-person narrator frequently invokes his experiences playing football in similes to evoke experiences of intense relationships, split-second decision-making, and victorious smugness. ( )
  otterpopmusic | Mar 18, 2013 |
Danske Peter Høeg har skrevet en eventyrlig roman. «Elefantpassernes barn» er en storstilt, sjenerøs skrøne om svikefulle foreldre og særdeles livsdyktige barn
added by annek49 | editDagsavisen, Turid Larsen (Feb 9, 2011)

Høeg stævner ud med narreskibet
Med ’Elefantpassernes børn’ har Peter Høeg skrevet en storslået parodi på Peter Høeg.
added by annek49 | editPolitiken, Bjørn Bredal (Sep 8, 2010)

Peter Høegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Краснова, ЕленаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have found a door to the prison. It opens out onto freedom. I am writing this to show you the door.
Original Danish title: "Elefantpassernes børn"

Living on an island where all faiths coexist peacefully, precocious teen Peter and his siblings are shocked when their devout vicar father and eccentric artisan mother go missing at the height of an effort to boost church attendance.

34 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,676,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible