Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected…

Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry,… (1972)

by Gregory Bateson

This book changed the way I thought about humans and nature. I read it when I was in Japan. I still remember things about recognizing what is biological and how animals communicate. ( )
  yarkan | Jul 18, 2011 |
This is one of the two books that I credit with shaping my education, my major in college, my metaphysics, my entire view of life. (The other one, in case you are curious, is "Goedel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter.)

If you read and understand this book, it is not just a collection of essays on topics as disparate as schiophrenia, thermostats, entropy, and consciousness. It actually outlines a coherent metaphysics: a view of the world and the relationship of our consciousness to it.

And on top of all that, the "Metalogues" are just plain fun to read, too. ( )
1 vote GregStevens | Aug 1, 2009 |
One of the most influential books in my life.
  bobshackleton | Mar 22, 2008 |
An antidote and a rebuttal to those intellectual chauvinists who believe that structuralism is Not In The American Grain (yes, yes, born in the U.K.). Contains the best explication of alcoholism I have ever seen.
  StephenPlotkin | Dec 12, 2006 |
"The pattern that connects"... Writings and speeches by Bateson spanning several decades, masterfully integrating topics as diverse as art, complexity, mind, evolution, communication, schizophrenia, genetics, anthropology, cybernetics, and cetacean intelligence. Considerably ahead of its time, and influential, but not influential enough. ( )
1 vote stancarey | Oct 7, 2006 |

"L'ecologia della mente" scrive Bateson in apertura di questo volume, che contiene i suoi più importanti scritti teorici, "è una scienza che ancora non esiste come corpus organico di teoria o conoscenza". Ma questa scienza in formazione è nondimeno essenziale. Essa sola permette di capire, ricorrendo alle stesse categorie, questioni come "la simmetria bilaterale di un animale, la disposizione strutturata delle foglie in una pianta, l'amplificazione successiva della corsa agli armamenti, le pratiche del corteggiamento, la natura del gioco, la grammatica di una frase, il mistero della evoluzione biologica e la crisi in cui oggi si trovano i rapporti tra l'uomo e l'ambiente".
(piopas)

Gregory Bateson was a philosopher, anthropologist, photographer, naturalist, and poet, as well as the husband and collaborator of Margaret Mead. With a new foreword by his daughter Mary Katherine Bateson, this classic anthology of his major work will continue to delight and inform generations of readers.

"This collection amounts to a retrospective exhibition of a working life. . . . Bateson has come to this position during a career that carried him not only into anthropology, for which he was first trained, but into psychiatry, genetics, and communication theory. . . . He . . . examines the nature of the mind, seeing it not as a nebulous something, somehow lodged somewhere in the body of each man, but as a network of interactions relating the individual with his society and his species and with the universe at large."—D. W. Harding, New York Review of Books

"[Bateson's] view of the world, of science, of culture, and of man is vast and challenging. His efforts at synthesis are tantalizingly and cryptically suggestive. . . .This is a book we should all read and ponder."—Roger Keesing, American Anthropologist

Gregory Bateson (1904-1980) was the author of Naven and Mind and Nature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:32 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,704,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible