Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family…

Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes (edition 2009)

by Tessa Kiros

Member:amile79
Title:Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
Authors:Tessa Kiros
Info:Andrews McMeel Publishing (2009), Hardcover, 400 pages

Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes by Tessa Kiros

English (25)  Dutch (1)  All (26)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a visually stunning volume. It's one of the prettiest cookbooks I've ever seen, and would make an ideal gift book. Recipes are divided into sections by country--each reflecting a different part of Kiros's heritage and history. Several of them are intriguing and unusual--particularly the sections on Cyprus and Finland. Less interesting is the section on South Africa which includes recipes for such exotica as fried chicken, garlic bread, and buffalo wings with blue cheese.

That complaint aside, the photography is stunning, the prose is charming, the family history aspect is a lovely excuse for the book, and I'm eagerly anticipating diving in to the more unusual recipes offered here. ( )
  sskwire | Jan 5, 2011 |
Beautiful cookbook, luscious pictures, wanders from Finland to Greece -- the gift of a friend who calls it her favorite cookbook. ( )
1 vote grheault | Dec 18, 2010 |
Among the many reasons I'm enjoying (and recommending) this book:
excellent photos, concise and clear recipes, surprisingly approachable descriptions of techniques and methods that I'd thought to be difficult, and a narrative that flows enjoyably like a good conversation.

Available at your local indie bookstore: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780740781520 ( )
  Kinniska | Feb 1, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as part of the Early Reviewers program last winter--and was super-excited to sit down and look it over.

Like many reviewers here, I agree that the book is beautiful. The images are lush and inspiring. And I love that it includes cuisines that are so often overlooked by other cookbooks.

I also deeply appreciate the detailed level of instruction in the recipes. In the marinated herrings recipe (p. 21), there are directions on how to go about filleting a herring. What a great inclusion for those of us who don't just know such things (or haven't already learned it from another cookbook!)

On the other hand, some instructions are less-than-clear. Again in the marinated herrings recipe (p. 21), she calls for "4 (2 1/4 lb) lightly smoked salted herrings. I'm a fishetarian, I guess, because I cook vegetarian but eat fish out at restaurants. So I have no idea what the average size of a herring might be. And this wording doesn't help. Does she mean 4 herrings for a total of 2 1/4 lbs or should each herring weigh 2 1/4 lbs?

And at the end of the day, the book fails me because it has yet to work its way into the regular rotation of cookbooks. I've flagged a couple to try (but have been put off by either the vast quantities of butter, heavy cream, and oil involved or the length of time involved--which is surprising considering I'm known for spending entire weekends happily cooking!) and have made just one (a potato salad I enjoyed but not so much that it would replace others in my repertoire).

It's almost too pretty to be useful as a COOK book, yet there's not quite enough narrative to make me read it like a coffee table book (I'd say Marcella Cucina does more on that score.) Nevertheless, I'll keep it and hope to use it if for no other reason than the inclusion of cuisines otherwise missing from my "international" cookbooks. ( )
  landerman | Oct 29, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Gorgeous, gorgeous photographs. The book is beautifully designed but the same elements that make it look nice also get in the way of using it TO COOK FROM. The heft and size of the physical book is lovely but the pages don't stay open. The setup of ingredient lists above recipe titles and instructions make the page visually interesting with white space and everything but are difficult to read and follow.

I wanted more details about the dishes--like what they were. Something like Baked Ham needs no explanation, but the blurb for the Skordalia recipe leaves me in the dark. That recipe is accompanied by a lovely photo of a table with plants on it. No help! Yes, you get the gist of the dish by reading the ingredients and instructions, but a cookbook shouldn't be a puzzle. The Pastitsio has a picture but it is so close up as to defeat the purpose of illustration. Including information like this is a side dish, casserole, condiment, etc. would have cleared this up and made the book more accessible.

A glossary or some extra information on unusual and hard-to-find ingredients and/or substitutions would also have been helpful.

The collection of recipes is unusual, from dishes I've never heard of (see above) to items like Garlic Bread.

I made the Cinnamon and Cardamom Buns and they were excellent. It took a little looking around to find a substitute for fresh yeast (and I wish all the baking measures were in weight, not volume) but they came out fine. (And outside of professional bakeries, how many people in the US use fresh yeast?) I'm looking forward to trying other recipes.

*Early Reviewer*
  Sarahsponda | Sep 17, 2009 |
My mother's name is Sirpa Ttula Kerttu Peiponen. My father's name is George.
This book is dedicated to my grandfathers, Pappou and Iso Isa. And to my parents, George and Sibi, who inherited their special souls. Thanks goodness for everywhere you took us.
These are the recipes I grew up with: the recipes that have woven their way through the neighborhoods of my mind, past indifference and into love.

This volume is filled with the recipes that have woven their way through the life of Tessa Kiros and her family. There are over 150 recipes, many with Greek or Scandinavian influences, all of which have been lovingly collected and adapted by Tessa since early adulthood, or remembered and recreated from childhood.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tessa Kiros's book Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible