I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood…

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Nujood Ali, Delphine Minoui, Linda Coverdale (Translator)

Member:TammyPhillips
Title:I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced
Authors:Nujood Ali
Other authors:Delphine Minoui, Linda Coverdale (Translator)
Info:Broadway (2010), Paperback, 188 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali (2009)

Do They Hear You When You Cry by Fauziya Kassindja (meggyweg)
    Emma's War by Deborah Scroggins (meggyweg)
    The Tale of Two Nazanins by Susan McClelland (meggyweg)
    The Road of Lost Innocence by Somaly Mam (Yervant)
    Yervant: Both these memoirs recount experiences of young girls in different parts of the world--Yemen and Cambodia--being married into what amounts to nothing more than child abuse. One focuses on female/child trafficking in Cambodia and the other on cultural norms in Yemen that allow for child marriages.… (more)
    Slave: My True Story by Mende Nazer (_Lana_)
    Sold by Patricia McCormick (dara85)

English (69)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (73)
This story was seriously heart-breaking. It shows what can happen in a community or people group that doesn't have the light of God in any capacity. People behave like animals and treat each other as such. The only true hope for the girl in this story and others in this community is found in Jesus.

The author was born into a poor Muslim family in Yemen. They struggled for their daily food. One of her older siblings ran away to Saudi Arabia. Another married a man whilst still in her teens. This man then had an affair with the author's older sister resulting in the sister and the man being thrown into jail and potentially facing the death penalty for adultery.

The family then in crisis financially, the father decides to marry off the author who is aged just 10 years old to a man three times her age. She accompanies this man to his community which is cut off from any outside contact making it impossible for her to run away. He had promised her family not to engage in sexual relations prior to a certain age but immediately breaks his promise and forces himself on her. She finally convinces him to allow her to visit her family and whilst there runs away and does something that has never been done before--she goes directly to a Judge and requests a divorce!

Reading this tragic story made me so grateful that I wasn't born into that situation or that community. I was reminded that it is only by the grace of God that it was not me dealing with this. The desperation of the parents when they fell on hard times comes through and the children carried a lot of the burden. The cultural traditions and norms that we consider abhorrent were practiced widely. It was normal for a child of that age to be married although legally not permitted until the age of 15 (now 17 partly due to this case.) The girls had no choice and were made completely powerless and helpless because their families went along with it. In this case they had even arranged it for money. The people that as children we rely on to protect us were the ones placing this child into the path of danger. How terrible when there is no one to turn to and no one you can trust.

There is no bad language in this book. There is obviously sexual violence which wasn't as graphic as I had feared it might be. This is only suitable for adult readers. This is definitely eye opening. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
Nujood's story, simply and devastatingly told, reveals a tragedy that is all too common in countries like Yemen (and Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India, etc.) where women and girls are treated more as property than as human beings. Fortunately Nujood's story is more positive; she was able to get a divorce from the older man she was forced to marry. She is by no means out of the woods though, and I hope, as she dreams to do, she eventually finishes school and becomes a lawyer. What a brave girl. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
"Since forever I have learned to say yes to everything. Today I have decided to say no"
By sally tarbox on 15 February 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
An interesting account of an ordinary ten-year old Yemeni girl whose father marries her off to a repulsive sounding thirty-year old - "I recognized him right away from that overpowering odour of cigarettes and khat".
Sent miles away to live with his family in a remote village, Nujood endures a couple of months of rapes and beatings before fleeing to the court, when on a visit to the capital, and seeking a divorce. Taken up by a lawyer and human rights groups, the end is a hopeful one, as Nujood is back with her family, attending school and able to help financially through royalties.

Sadly recent information shows that Nujood's father has used the money for his own ends and has married off her littlle sister, so glad I only bought a used copy! ( )
  starbox | Feb 14, 2017 |
I am Nugood, Age 10 and Divorced is the true story of Nujood Ali (as told to Delphine Minoui).

By the age of 10, this young girl from Yemen had been given in marriage by her own father to a man three times her age. He promised not to be with her sexually until after one year after she started her period, but he did not keep this promise. When Nujood tried to resist him, he began beating her.

After a few months, the only refuge she found was on the rare opportunity that her husband let her visit home. It was on one of these visits that she decided to try to get a divorce.

This book offers a peek into Yemen and a surprising look at practices that you may not know still occur today. The story was not told to criticize the culture, but to shine the light on one girl’s sad story. This is something that none of us can image happening to our own daughters. It wasn’t told in a sensationalist way. Most importantly, it is an inspiring look at the courage of a young girl to fight against that which she knew was wrong.

Her story has attracted worldwide attention and has been translated into 16 languages. She was named to be a Woman of the Year in 2008 by Glamour magazine, alongside others such as Hillary Clinton.

Because of her courageous act, other young girls are speaking out, and countries are even making laws to protect girls who should never be forced to marry.

In spite of a few difficult passages, this is an inspiring and eye-opening story told in Nujood’s own words. It’s a short easy read that would interest women and teens as well.

Nujood’s proceeds for the book are financing her and her sister’s education, and will hopefully help Nujood achieve her dream of becoming a lawyer so that she can help other girls.
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Picked this up while browsing at Borders the other day. Haven't finished it as I'm waiting for it from the library now. The title caught my eye right away : I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.. This type of thing goes on a lot in Yemen, Ethiopia, etc.. It is so sad to see these little girls being forced to marry at age 9 and 10. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |

Nujood Aliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minoui, Delphinemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Coverdale, LindaTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a magical land with legends as astonishing as its houses, which are adorned with such delicate tracery that they look like gingerbread cottages trimmed with icing.

“I’m a simple village girl who has always obeyed the orders of my father and brothers. Since forever, I have learned to say yes to everything. Today I have decided to say no.”

Forced by her father to marry a man three times her age, young Nujood Ali was sent away from her parents and beloved sisters and made to live with her husband and his family in an isolated village in rural Yemen. There she suffered daily from physical and emotional abuse by her mother-in-law and nightly at the rough hands of her spouse. Flouting his oath to wait to have sexual relations with Nujood until she was no longer a child, he took her virginity on their wedding night. She was only ten years old.

Unable to endure the pain and distress any longer, Nujood fled—not for home, but to the courthouse of the capital, paying for a taxi ride with a few precious coins of bread money. When a renowned Yemeni lawyer heard about the young victim, she took on Nujood’s case and fought the archaic system in a country where almost half the girls are married while still under the legal age. Since their unprecedented victory in April 2008, Nujood’s courageous defiance of both Yemeni customs and her own family has attracted a storm of international attention. Her story even incited change in Yemen and other Middle Eastern countries, where underage marriage laws are being increasingly enforced and other child brides have been granted divorces.

Recently honored alongside Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice as one of Glamour magazine’s women of the year, Nujood now tells her full story for the first time. As she guides us from the magical, fragrant streets of the Old City of Sana’a to the cement-block slums and rural villages of this ancient land, her unflinching look at an injustice suffered by all too many girls around the world is at once shocking, inspiring, and utterly unforgettable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

The internationally bestselling true story of the remarkable 10-year-old Yemeni girl who dared to defy her country's most archaic traditions by fighting for a divorce.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,309,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible