Faerie Winter by Janni Lee Simner

Faerie Winter

by Janni Lee Simner

More sadness and brutality to twist your heart!

Faerie Winter exceeded my expectations for a sequel! I felt about it the same way I did Bones of Faerie. That it was a great story and by the end I would have been satisfied if I learned there wasn't going to be another book. Lucky for me its a trilogy but even better that each book thus far in this trilogy has done such a stellar job of standing on it's own legs.

There WAS NOT a ton of rehashing at the beginning going back over absolutely everything that happened in the prior book. There was a bit but thankfully it was minimal and found it was more spread throughout the entirety of Faerie Winter rather than a blunt force trauma to the head smash of it like I've seen in so many other series books. ​

​Life picks up where things left off in Bones of Faerie and I'm happy to see its realistic. There is tension between Liza and her mother, just as their should be. Problems in a relationship don't just miraculously go away just because you've past a life threatening situation. The focus that was put on their relationship and how Liza still harbors a lot of resentment and anger towards her mother for all of the things she has hidden from her, and continues not to tell her really helps build on Liza's character development and the choices that she makes. If she can't trust someone who is supposed to be so close to her it would of course effect many of the things she does. I can't even describe how well I thought this relationship was done.

And Matthew, Oh my wolfy boy Matthew! How I love this guy! He didn't get a lot of screen time in Faerie Winter and for that I was seriously sad. I know that was important to the storyline but I missed him and this was a bit of a debbie downer for me. I fully anticipate though that he will be back in full force in the final book Faerie After which I am about to start today! I do have to say what little time he was there, sure had a lot of zing!

​We meet a few new characters of course, key of which are Kyle and Johnny, they are a few other kids in Liza's town. Kyle is a little boy I think maybe age 5, and his brother Johnny is around Liza's age. Kyle can be a bit annoying at moments but what 5 year old isn't? I find it refreshing how all of the children born after the War feel a bond to each other, and like the nickname they gave themselves, "Afters." They've feared their whole lives that their magic would be found out and that they would be put to death for it. You still get that sense of fear from them but they are definitely starting to come out of their shells.

"Afters have to stick together."

The level violence in the Faerie trilogy so far is something to keep in mind. Its not crazy graphic but there is a brutal nature to these books that I know not everyone would enjoy. I find it refreshing and realistic because fairy tales originally did have a much darker side - and quite frankly this is post apocalyptic, people die, people get hurt. That's reality, whether its reality or fiction.

The Cons - only one thing really
The other thing was the constant "Go Away, Go Away," that Liza would say when using her power. It just got really repetitive and I hate repetitive - it has a tendency to irk me and make me want to slap a 'STFU' sticker over someone's mouth.

Favorite quote is actually the oath that Karin wants the children to take once they come into their magic:

Blessed are the powers that grant me magic.
I promise to use their gift well.
To help mend my world.
To help mend all worlds.
And should I forget to mend,
Should I refuse to mend,
Still I will remember
To do no harm.
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Larger review to come, but a very good sequel to a book in incredibly enjoyed. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Could this story get any better? I was so happy to be back in Liza's world and to see what happened after she saved her mother from the faerie realm. The War between humans and fae had been a harsh one, leaving destruction and death on both sides. It also left both sides with the inability to trust. This companion novel shows us how people and fae alike can change for the better, while there are those who could never truly let go. This book is about forgiveness, even when the reason is hard to come to terms with.

I was thrilled to see that the story included the children of After (after the War) and that we learn about their magic. Each child holds a different type of magic in them and I was eager to learn about each and every one. I have a soft spot for Kyle though and poor Ethan. Kyle makes my heart sing with his undying devotion, his childlike wonder and his ability to understand so much more than what is being said. I guess children in general have the uncanny ability to believe and to state the obvious and Kyle just reminds me so much of why children are so precious. Ethan literally broke my heart with his sadness and regret, how can one child bear so much?

This book was so hard to put down, because the story was just so amazing. The way Ms. Simner melds both the feelings of despair during winter and the hope for spring yet to come. You could feel how hard it was for Liza being surrounded by such a desolate world, but having the hope that everything would be okay. She had to face off with evil she had never encountered before to save her family and friends from being killed and from winter taking over and killing all living things.

And now the best part is seeing the relationship between Liza and Matthew start to bloom. In the wise words of Hope, "About time." In the first book, Bones of Faerie, their relationship is there lurking in the sidelines, but never acted upon. It's that first crush kinda thing, that doesn't go past the friendship stage until now. They're finally realizing they need each other and never want to be apart, but the novel isn't about their story at all, it just hints at this throughout and gives you the tiniest bit of knowledge that there is love there, ready to bloom with spring. ( )
  chrystalm | Nov 1, 2011 |
I have been DYING to read this. Bones of Faerie is one of my all time faves. It combines both Faerie AND a dystopian world. Gah! It's wonderful. Well, actually it's very depressing and dangerous, but you get what I mean. It's sequel, Faerie Winter lives up to my expectations beautifully.

It wasn't enough though. I wished it could go on and on. 300-ish pages just didn't satisfy me, I felt like there could have been more. Wishful thinking I know, but the ending felt a little rushed. I was three-quarters of the way through the story before I realized that we were almost done, and I had barely gotten my fill. It's a good thing, I guess since, I just didn't want it to end.

Right from the get go we have doom and destruction. A stranger and dead children, and no idea how that came to be. Matthew, our shape-shifting hero, runs off to save the day again, only to be captured by those who would do him harm.

I don't want to give spoilers, so we'll just say that Liza and Matthew are once again in charge of saving the world. And it's in a totally believable set up. (For the world that they're living in, that is.) There are old friends and new enemies and a kind of helplessness I hope we never have to truly know.

I only gave it 4 stars and not 5 because I really felt that it could have been drug out a little longer. I was satisfied with the ending, but sad to see it so soon. If you are a fan of the Fae AND dystopian, than what are you waiting for? Faerie Winter and its predecessor, Bones of Faerie are like nothing you've ever read before. I loved them both, and hope you get the opportunity to enjoy them as well.

4/5 Stars ( )
  MissHavoc | Apr 29, 2011 |

Unable to get answers from her mother, sixteen-year-old Liza learns from Karin that while her own actions may have doomed the fairy and human worlds, she may be able to save them with more training, if the Faerie Queen can first be stopped.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible