Faerie Winter by Janni Lee Simner

Faerie Winter

by Janni Lee Simner

95None126,356 (3.94)3

Larger review to come, but a very good sequel to a book in incredibly enjoyed. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Could this story get any better? I was so happy to be back in Liza's world and to see what happened after she saved her mother from the faerie realm. The War between humans and fae had been a harsh one, leaving destruction and death on both sides. It also left both sides with the inability to trust. This companion novel shows us how people and fae alike can change for the better, while there are those who could never truly let go. This book is about forgiveness, even when the reason is hard to come to terms with.

I was thrilled to see that the story included the children of After (after the War) and that we learn about their magic. Each child holds a different type of magic in them and I was eager to learn about each and every one. I have a soft spot for Kyle though and poor Ethan. Kyle makes my heart sing with his undying devotion, his childlike wonder and his ability to understand so much more than what is being said. I guess children in general have the uncanny ability to believe and to state the obvious and Kyle just reminds me so much of why children are so precious. Ethan literally broke my heart with his sadness and regret, how can one child bear so much?

This book was so hard to put down, because the story was just so amazing. The way Ms. Simner melds both the feelings of despair during winter and the hope for spring yet to come. You could feel how hard it was for Liza being surrounded by such a desolate world, but having the hope that everything would be okay. She had to face off with evil she had never encountered before to save her family and friends from being killed and from winter taking over and killing all living things.

And now the best part is seeing the relationship between Liza and Matthew start to bloom. In the wise words of Hope, "About time." In the first book, Bones of Faerie, their relationship is there lurking in the sidelines, but never acted upon. It's that first crush kinda thing, that doesn't go past the friendship stage until now. They're finally realizing they need each other and never want to be apart, but the novel isn't about their story at all, it just hints at this throughout and gives you the tiniest bit of knowledge that there is love there, ready to bloom with spring. ( )
  chrystalm | Nov 1, 2011 |
I have been DYING to read this. Bones of Faerie is one of my all time faves. It combines both Faerie AND a dystopian world. Gah! It's wonderful. Well, actually it's very depressing and dangerous, but you get what I mean. It's sequel, Faerie Winter lives up to my expectations beautifully.

It wasn't enough though. I wished it could go on and on. 300-ish pages just didn't satisfy me, I felt like there could have been more. Wishful thinking I know, but the ending felt a little rushed. I was three-quarters of the way through the story before I realized that we were almost done, and I had barely gotten my fill. It's a good thing, I guess since, I just didn't want it to end.

Right from the get go we have doom and destruction. A stranger and dead children, and no idea how that came to be. Matthew, our shape-shifting hero, runs off to save the day again, only to be captured by those who would do him harm.

I don't want to give spoilers, so we'll just say that Liza and Matthew are once again in charge of saving the world. And it's in a totally believable set up. (For the world that they're living in, that is.) There are old friends and new enemies and a kind of helplessness I hope we never have to truly know.

I only gave it 4 stars and not 5 because I really felt that it could have been drug out a little longer. I was satisfied with the ending, but sad to see it so soon. If you are a fan of the Fae AND dystopian, than what are you waiting for? Faerie Winter and its predecessor, Bones of Faerie are like nothing you've ever read before. I loved them both, and hope you get the opportunity to enjoy them as well.

4/5 Stars ( )
  MissHavoc | Apr 29, 2011 |

Unable to get answers from her mother, sixteen-year-old Liza learns from Karin that while her own actions may have doomed the fairy and human worlds, she may be able to save them with more training, if the Faerie Queen can first be stopped.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible