The Warlock by Michael Scott

The Warlock (2011)

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (5)

English (23)  Dutch (2)  All languages (25)
Some revelations were telegraphed and others took me by surprise. Poor Josh is being manipulated and hasn't a clue. I liked Billy the Kid and Machiavelli's big decision much more than most of those of Virginia Dare -- and none of John Dee's, of course.

Hope the last book isn't a letdown. ( )
  JalenV | Dec 18, 2014 |
The Warlock was a biblical marvel. The way that Michael Scott had separated the twins and then started to split the entire book into different points of view for each person was intriguing. In this amazing fantasy adventure, two twins whom are told they are prophesied to either save or end the world.
Josh, the boy twin, is convinced that the protectors of the Codex, a magic book written by Abraham the Mage, are more evil than they are being told. So, he joins forces with their mortal enemy, Dr. John Dee, to (in his mind ) save the world.
Sophie, the girl twin, thinks that Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel, the before mentioned protectors of the Codex, are the good guys in this struggle. But she still loves her brother Josh very much, so is constantly trying to “save” him from John Dee’s (in her eye) evil ways.
Eventually they are both in their home city of San Francisco: Josh is on Alcatraz, and Sophie is at the twins old home with the Flamels dying of age. Sophie is taught the last of the 4 elemental magics, Earth magic, while Josh is being taught the magic of Air, his third elemental magic.
The author of this novel used impeccable vocabulary to emphasize the plot points throughout the story. All in all, The Warlock was an outstanding book, and I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. ( )
  brsu14 | Oct 1, 2014 |
Slower than the others in the series, but still brilliant. I can't wait for the last one! ( )
  KDKat5 | Sep 30, 2014 |
as always great ending pieces coming together. would not have guessed. ( )
  ritapt | Jun 13, 2014 |
Another exciting chapter on the journey of the "wonder twins" to either save the earth or destroy it. I am not sure how I'll feel about this series until it's over. My daughter really enjoys it, which is a huge factor in how I decide whether a series is a hit or not, but I am wondering if the pay out is going to be worth the huge build up the books have had. One more book and I suppose I'll know.

This was a good book. Entertaining and full of adventure. I guess what's bugging me is the fact that the brother and sister have been separated and one is supposedly fated to be a dark force in the fate of the world--even though both kids are normally good kids. I won't be sure how I feel about that story line until I see how it resolves. ( )
  Clare_M | May 25, 2014 |

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Anna,
sapientia et eloquentia
Nicolas Flamel is stervende.
Nicholas Flamel is dying.
In the fifth installment of this bestselling series, the twins of prophesy have been divided, and the end is finally beginning.

With Scatty, Joan of Arc, Saint Germain, Palamedes, and Shakespeare all in Danu Talis, Sophie is on her own with the ever-weakening Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel. She must depend on Niten to help her find an immortal to teach her Earth Magic. The surprise is that she will find her teacher in the most ordinary of places.

[retrieved from Amazon, 6/14/2012]

Fifteen-year-old Josh has chosen to side neither with his twin sister Sophie nor with the Alchemyst, Nicholas Flamel, but rather to fight alongside Dr. John Dee and the mysterious Virginia Dare, while the immortal Machiavelli and Billy the Kid follow the Elders' plans to set loose the monsters of Alcatraz on San Francisco and trigger the end of the humani race.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible