Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury

Wrapped

by Jennifer Bradbury

1983259,376 (3.74)25
    A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: I actually didn't enjoy A Spy in the House nearly as much as Wrapped, but I know others have a high opinion of it, and there are enough similar elements that readers who enjoyed the one should at least be aware of the other.
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Again, strong-willed 19th-century woman meets Egyptological mystery.

Agnes Wilkins is a normal seventeen year old debutante. At her first social event, an Egyptian mummy is displayed, and the guests are allowed to takes turns making cuts. Whatever they find, they are allowed to keep. The host later finds out that the mummy was actually a very important find, and the guests must return whatever they found. Only Agnes doesn't. Afterwards, Agnes goes to the British Museum on a trip with her mother and host, and she meets someone new. Caedmon Stowe. Agnes and Caedmon are interested in the same things, and they become befriended, trying to find out a mystery. The two figure out things about the French and Egyptian runes and they go through a series of hardships that put them in danger. Near the end, they find out that the one person that no one would suspect was actually a spy. Caedmon and Agnes must fight him, and try to save themselves. The spy's, or Agnes's host, Lord Showalter, gun malfunctions, and neither of them are injured. The day is saved, and Agnes is appointed into a detective into Britain's agency.

I rated this book four stars because Agnes is the heroine that everyone admires, and I really like that character. Agnes Wilkins is the average debutante waiting to marry, but she actually is quite intelligent, and doesn't care to marry. Even through all the difficult things, she stays until the very end. One thing I don't really understand, however, is the ending. Agnes gets appointed, but seeing what time period that was, I don't really think that was realistic. Another thing is that I find it hard to believe that one would go into sudden outbursts in different languages quoting Jane Austen. But overall, Wrapped is a quite enjoyable book, and I would recommend it. ( )
  AmberM.B3 | May 29, 2014 |
This was a good read although it took me a while to get into it. ( )
  MrsBakitch | Nov 23, 2013 |
This looks fun! I hope its easier to read than my last book!

Full Review to be posted soon:

Despite a slow start it was a fun book with a delightful heroine. I hope there will be more because I thought the book really got going at end. ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
When I was little, I went through a serious phase of loving all things ancient Egypt, which grew into a Victorian detective novel love when I hit my teens. This book combines two of my greatest nostalgic loves so of course I had to pick it up! Overall, I was pleased with “Wrapped” and enjoyed it, but I didn’t love it.

The greatest strength of “Wrapped” lies in Agnes, its witty, independent and imaginative heroine. She falls into the typical heroine trope traps but is executed with a certain flair I found rather charming, and also manages to have several moments of surprising complexity I didn’t expect in what is essentially a light-hearted romp. For a novel with this sort of story, I think you need a heroine like Agnes, and she was what kept me reading throughout the occasional drops in pace. There was one thing about her that frustrated me and that was her frequent references to A Lady, the pen-name for Jane Austen. Agnes is a smart girl with a love of books, which I appreciated and related to, but her constant references to Austen began to grate on me very quickly. The other characters didn’t quite have the same impact on me and felt very stock, but they got the job done.

There really isn’t much for me to say about “Wrapped” because it’s a simple, light-hearted romp that one shouldn’t take too seriously. There dialogue is often anachronistic, some of the history doesn’t quite add up and the mystery at the centre of the story is pretty predictable, but it’s all very readable, often highly enjoyable and a good way to waste a few hours, which is in no way a criticism. I had fun reading about the Egyptian myths and rituals, It’s not going to break any boundaries or set a standard in historical YA, but it is a good fluffy read. I think younger YA readers may enjoy it more than I did.

3/5.
  Ceilidhann | Sep 20, 2013 |
In 1815, a young woman on the verge of her debut to London society attends the mummy-unwrapping party of an extremely eligible bachelor. She finds something she isn't supposed to, and ends up in the middle of a vast conspiracy that could affect all of Europe.

Not particularly original, but very good. The ending, especially. ( )
  norabelle414 | Aug 20, 2013 |

Jennifer Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lobb, ZelaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steele, ElissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Evie June and Arun Saroj, and all the adventures that await you both
"Put the book down, darling," my mother said from her chair beside the mirror.

Seventeen-year-old Agnes Wilkins is about to make her debut into 1815 London society at a lavish party, where she meets Lord Showalter, a wealthy and eligible man who collects Egyptian antiquities and who is hiding a dangerous secret.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible