Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury

Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:YA, historical fiction, romance, read september 2011

Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury

A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: I actually didn't enjoy A Spy in the House nearly as much as Wrapped, but I know others have a high opinion of it, and there are enough similar elements that readers who enjoyed the one should at least be aware of the other.
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Again, strong-willed 19th-century woman meets Egyptological mystery.

Historical romance novel with a bit of an adventure thrown in to make it more enjoyable. ( )
  Simon.Driscoll | Apr 20, 2016 |
Seventeen-year-old Agnes Wilkins is about to make her debut into 1815 London society at a lavish party, where she meets Lord Showalter, a wealthy and eligible man who collects Egyptian antiquities and who is hiding a dangerous secret.
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
This was the first book I picked up after a loooong reading hiatus (for me at least) and it was a book I had been wanting to read when I first heard about it I think back in December. Unfotunately I wasn't entirely thrilled with it. I do however believe that this fulfills my YA History Challenge, so Yay!

Agnes is about to come out into society. Her first event of the season is a mummy unwrapping and she is singled out to participate by her neighbor(eligable bachelor) Lord Showalter. The unwrapping leads to Agnes' search for an Ancient Egyptian Standard with Caedmon, a museum employee that she feels herself falling for. All of this takes place with a backdrop of Napoleon's escape from the Isle of Elba.

So I really wanted to like this book. Unfortunately it didn't really work out for me. My problem was Agnes, she just felt very very young for a lot of the book. Much too young to be as smart as she was and to be handling things so well. Her mental dialogue and her actions just didn't feel like they were on the same page. For the most part her actions were grown up enough for the seriousness of the mystery with the occaisional lapse to a teenagers frustrated and occaisionally irrational behavior, and this felt appropriate. But the way Agnes would go on and on just felt childish and after a while it just made the book frustrating and boring.

Until I got to the almost end. That part of the novel was action packed enough that I didn't concentrate on Agnes' mental dialogue so much and I just wanted to find out what was going to happen next. I definitely figured out who had dunnit about half way through the book but I still wanted to see how Agnes and Caedmon would find out about it.

Then the very end felt like a sudden jump where all was calm again. It's open for a sequel or several but I'm not sure that I want to read it. My frustrations with Agnes lasted three quarters of the way through the book. ( )

Jennifer Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lobb, ZelaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steele, ElissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Evie June and Arun Saroj, and all the adventures that await you both
"Put the book down, darling," my mother said from her chair beside the mirror.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible