She Smells the Dead by E. J. Stevens

She Smells the Dead

by E. J. Stevens

I picked up this book because I thought the cover was beautiful and it sounded interesting. Bad idea. The first thing I noticed was all the errors. This is supposed to be a final book, but it was filled with grammatical errors. I was also annoyed by the characters continued use of “yah”. Can’t they just say “yeah” like normal people?!? I still decided to give it a chance, even with the annoying tidbits I noticed in the first chapters. The story is very fast paced (I actually liked that). The problem was—nothing interesting really happened. There was no bad guy to this story, and the main character just focused on her boring romance with Cal. There are also a lot of stereotypes used in this book: Yuki is the typical goth, her best friend is vegan, etc… I found that a bit annoying. I like books to be different and this one just wasn’t. I would have liked to see more action related to her power and title of the book—smelling the dead! The summary is also misleading, as Yuki completely forgets about her crush in the beginning of the book. Overall, this book wasn’t very believable. It was just a silly story. I was very disappointed with it. ( )
  mycutebookshelf | Dec 2, 2011 |
I love Yuki!
She's strong, brave, smart and knows what she wants. The kind of girl everyone should want to be, but she makes herself a bit of an outcast.
Very well rounded character for one with her ability. That vinegar smell, a dead guy. Yep, she really smells the dead. Could you imagine?!
I am stuck on the edge of a cliffhanger though, as now I need to get my hands on a copy of the next book in line.
Excellent storytelling from EJ, as she takes readers into a whole new dimension of fun! I think people of all ages will love it!
And on a personal note, thanks to EJ for adding part of my review in the back of the book, along with others praise for Shadows of Myth and Legend. ( )
  fredamans | Nov 8, 2011 |
*I received this book free of charge for my honest opinion*
My Review: E. J. Stevens writes a beautiful paranormal novel with an amazing
cover and a story that will stick with you long after your finished reading. She fits so
much in this short novel you never feel like a character is missing something.
The characters really make the story what it is!
Yuki: With a paranormal gift that is anything but glamorous and would gag
me if I had to deal with it, she smells the dead. Her current spirit haunting her makes
her smell vinegar all day can you even imagine. Yuki seems to be to be strong and
venerable because of her powers all at the same time. She is a goth at school - and called
a "witch" by many of the students. Her sense of humor and smart ass remarks she says
to herself really tripped me out. With her amazing talents I can't wait to see what's
next for Yuki.
Calvin: Is Yuki best friend that soon becomes a lot more. For some reason he
reminds me of a hippie dude but that may just be in my head. But just as we are getting
to know the caring, protective, and loving Calvin something strange seems to be
happening and he is avoiding Yuki.
Emma: She is Yuki's vegan friend -who to me is the best kind of written
friend you can have. She is trustworthy, fun loving, and is very humorous. She is
out for bee oppression everywhere and will not stand for it.
Simon: A wanna be playboy who becomes Yuki's instructor in all things spiritual.
He is annoying,sarcastic, and very helpful in rough situations.
*Overall I think this book was well worth the read and I will be reading it again and again. I recommend it to Paranormal lovers, YA, mystery fans. I think young teens could read this with ease of their parents.* ( )
  JessLynn23 | Aug 8, 2011 |
I have been eying this book for a while. The cover is gorgeous! So I jumped at the opportunity to read and review this! It was a very quick, enjoyable read.

Our main character is Yuki, and she can smell the dead. Not in a nasty way, each individual spirit has a different smell. I really liked her character, she was funny and quirky. She reminded me a bit of myself at that age. I also liked the relationship between her and Calvin, once it blossomed. They were a great match. I also liked the secondary characters. Yuki’s BFF, Emma, was a great friend. And Calvin’s mentor, Simon, was such a flirt. All of the characters were pretty enjoyable.

The story was creative, and the writing was simple. It was a fun book to read, and I enjoyed the mystery throughout the book. I was left with some questions at the end, but I’m hoping I’ll get answers to those when I read the next book, Spirit Storm! I can’t wait.

Overall, this is a really quick, fun read. I really enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the next book.

TheReaderBee | Jul 4, 2011 |
reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blogspot.com/

SHE SMELLS THE DEAD was a unique, easy read filled with a fantastic array of characters. I enjoyed E.J. Stevens to the point no nonsense writing. Yuki was a great lead character. She was unique and had a wonderful view of the world and who she is. The story flowed perfectly from scene to scene. The romance between Calvin and Yuki blossomed at a fantastic pace and felt genuine from the start. The only complaint was that there was a ton of build up to Samhain only for the book to end before the big day, kinda sucked but I guess that is how we stay wanting to read the next book. ( )
1 vote STACYatUFI | May 10, 2011 |
I need a victim and no offense Yuki, but your carrot sticks are lacking in controversy.
"So it’s fate then?” I asked with him so close my lips brushed the line of his jaw with each word, “Us being together?”
“Absolutely,” Calvin said with a low growl. Then he lifted my chin, tilting my head back, and kissed me deeply.

Who was I to argue with Fate?

Yuki has a secret...she smells the dead.

It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like the ghost hunting on television.

SHE SMELLS THE DEAD.

The smell impressions are becoming stronger. Yuki is being visited in her dreams, and she suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. To make matters worse her crush on Garrett is going unrequited, Yuki's friend Emma is on a rampage against bee oppression, and annoying Calvin Miller mysteriously disappears. Will Yuki be able to focus her powers in time to save the lost soul who is haunting her? Meanwhile, who will save Yuki from following the spirits into the light?

She Smells the Dead is the first book in the Spirit Guide young adult paranormal series by E.J. Stevens.

"She Smells the Dead provides something new and fresh to the YA realm."
-Stacey, Flippin' Fabulous: A Reader's Record

"This series is like Nancy Drew meets the Winchester Brothers from Supernatural."
-Natalie, I'd So Rather Be Reading

"I absolutely loved every last delicious page of She Smells The Dead!"
-Mary, Sparkling Reviews

"If you love ghosts, Goths, and a little bit of YA romance, you will want to check this book out."
-Yvonne, Diva's Bookcase

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

E. J. Stevens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,468,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible