Intimacy and Terror by Veronique Garros

Intimacy and Terror

by Veronique Garros

Jag vill leva! : en skolflickas dagbok under Stalintiden by Nina Lugovskaya (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: In its two English editions, the book is titled "I Want To Live: The Diary of a Young Girl in Stalin's Russia" or "The Diary of a Soviet Schoolgirl, 1932 - 1937." Had this diary been known about at the time Garros assembled "Intimacy and Terror," she might very well have included it.… (more)
    The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia by Orlando Figes (meggyweg)
    Lenin's Embalmers by Ilya Zbarsky (meggyweg)

Although I was never able to finish this, it wasn't because it was a bad book; on the contrary, it's an excellent collection that would be a worthy textbook for a Russian history course. I like how the diarists were not all famous people or anything; one, for example, was just a poor middle-aged farmer. It was just that this is hardly pleasure reading and I found I couldn't commit to the whole thing, 400+ pages of small print.

I wrote about one of the diarists, Andrei Stepanovich Arzhilovsky, in a guest entry for the death penalty blog Executed Today. Arzhilovsky, a middle-aged farmer and father of four, was shot by firing squad in 1937 because of his alleged membership of a "counterrevolutionary kulak sabotage organization." ( )
  meggyweg | Sep 19, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,619,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible