City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:natalieleclerc
Title:City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (116)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  English (119)
I am only giving it a star because Simon is the only saving grace of this book. Most of the time I was EYEROLLING my face off (i.e. Maia and Jordan, pointless fluff for the sake of lengthening the story) And Jace's not-really-Jace-but-acts-exactly-the-same attitude was just another way to add 'romantic' scene between Jace and Clary. This book was difficult to get through, and some of the story lines that started to get interesting (Camille and Alec, and taking over the vampire clans, ahem) were completely abandoned for.. wait, more pointless scenes.

And some one please explain to me what happened to Clary as a character? Because everything established up to this point about Clary was tossed out the window in this book.

What did I just read? Is this even the same series? ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |

What did I just read? Is this even the same series? ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
As much as I hated the rest of the series I loved this book. It changed. The characters changed and Hell I need more. I have never picked up a book in a series and loved it more than any other book. This proves one should NEVER give up!
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
The book starts right after Jace has been bound to Jonathan by Lilith. If one is injured, the other one suffers the same injury. If one is killed, the other will die. Jonathan/Sebastian has devious plans that makes Jace follow along and agree with because he is "Sebastian's Servant" by being bound to him. Clary, Simon, Magnus, Isabelle and Alec don't want to go to the Clave for help because the Clave have put finding Jace as a lower priority and if they do find them, will kill both of Jace and Sebastian. So, Clary does what she always will do and go off and put herself in danger to save Jace without really telling anyone what she is doing.

Everyone else is doing everything they can to save both Clary and Jace. Simon has really grown in this book. He steps up to save Clary and risks his life and the Mark of Cain on his forehead. Alec is so insecure and weak in this book, which kind of surprised me from the earlier books and also really irritated me. I like the Simon/Isabella pairing too. I would recommend this book and I would recommend you read these books back-to-back as they flow one right after the other and it's like reading a VERY big book. Can't wait to start the next book, which will be this weekend! ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This got me hooked from the first page. Loads of character development and huge cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next. ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil.
He only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- Mary Wollstonecraft
Love is a familiar. Love is a devil. There is no evil angel but Love.
-William Shakespeare,Love's Labour's Lost
I love you as one loves certain dark things
-Pablo Neruda, "Sonnet XVII"
All changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.

-William Butler Yeats, "Easter, 1916"
For Nao,
Tim, David,
and Ben
"How much longer will the verdict take, do you think?" Clary asked. - Chapter 1
Simon stood and stared numbly at the front door of his house. - Prologue
(p 155)

Simon, I've been trying to call you, bit it seems like
your phone is turned off. I don't know where your are
right now. I don't know if Clary's already told you
what happened tonight. But I have to go to Magnus's
and I'd really like you to be there.

I'm never scared, but I'm scared for Jace. I'm scared
for my brother. I never ask you for anything, Simon,
but I'm asking you now. Please come.

Isabelle.
(p 379)

Now this is the Law of the Jungle,
as old and as true as the sky,
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk,
the Law runneth forward and back;
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
(p 388-389)

To mirror when she straightaway
And did her ebon hair array
And for her gown she much did pay.
Then down she walked along the street,
A handsome lad she chanced to meet,
And sore by dawn were her dainty feet,
But all the boys were gay.
(p 432)

Black for hunting through the night
For death and sorrow, the color's white.
Gold for a bride in her wedding gown,
And red to call enchantment down."

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,616,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible