City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:natalieleclerc
Title:City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (78)  Italian (2)  All languages (80)
Two words for my review: HOLY COW! ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Loved this book! Can't believe I have to wait almost 2 months for the next one.. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Actual Rating: 3.5/5 stars

So... This is full of spoiler-y stuffs. I just reread it so I could remember what happened and then read the last one. I'm not in such a hurry to read City of Heavenly Fire but I might as well start with it so I won't forget things..

So here's my thoughts about this one:

Clary. Woah. This made me remember her stubbornness. She's reckless and impatient. She asks for permission about some things but when she's not allowed to do it, she do it anyway. I don't like the way that she always gets what she wants. But still, I liked her loyalty to her friends and loved ones.

Simon. Oh goodness I forgot how funny Simon could be.

"You don't just get to say no."
"This plan involves me! I get to say no. No!"
"Simon-"
Simon patted the seat beside him as if someone was sitting there. "Let me introduce you to my good friend no."

Pity that he's just the friend. Anyway, I totally ship him with Isabelle. Ugh, just the pride. As if that could help you.

Aww. Alec. It's so sad that Magnus chose to leave him. I think that he's also the one to blame since he didn't trust Magnus that much. You cannot love someone without trusting them. It's because when you love, you give a part of yourself. I wish they would fix things between them though.

Sebastian. One word. Ew. I can't believe I shipped him with Clary before. Mind you, that was only for a minute but still.. Ew. Ugh. I wish he would die. And he would, of course. But after having some casualties.

Ugh. I'm not emotionally invested at this series like I am with The Infernal Devices (I LOVED THAT ONE!) but still.. Cassandra Clare don't you dare kill so many people!!

Okay. There you go. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Actual Rating: 3.5/5 stars

So here's my thoughts about this one:

Simon. Oh goodness I forgot how funny Simon could be.

"You don't just get to say no."
"This plan involves me! I get to say no. No!"
"Simon-"

Okay. There you go. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
By far, this was my very favorite book in the "Mortal Instruments" series thus far. I thought it had a really good balance of action, romance, conflict, and plot twists and, my goodness, is this book sexy!

City of Lost Souls is book five in the "Mortal Instruments" series. As with the other books, it picks up right where the previous book left off. Jace, who was demonically compelled by Sebastian, is bound to Valentine's son and has disappeared, leaving only blood and broken glass on the rooftop where he, Clary, and Simon fought Lillith. The Clave, faced with other matters they deem more important, has deprioritized their search for Jace, but Clary, Isabelle, and Alec don't agree. They clandestinely continue their efforts, enlisting the help of unlikely allies along the way. As it turns out, Jace comes to them or, he comes for Clary, and she hatches her own plan (with Simon's help) to go undercover with Jace and Sebastian to try and uncover what Sebastian is really planning and how to sever the bond between Jace and Sebastian without killing Jace.

I really liked the character relationships in this book. Jordan and Maia, Simon and Isabelle, Jace and Clary all delve deeper and evolved as individuals and as couples. (And the all share steamy scenes that got my pulse racing!) The couple who I had heard the most outrage about - Alec and Magnus - seem flat and distant to me. I don't really connect with them; though I find Magnus's humor delightful. The dramatic turn in their relationship, I know, really bothered a lot of other readers, but just sort of skimmed by me and didn't trouble me much.

Sebastian put on a good front for a while, but I love how Clare revealed his true nature and just how horrible he really is. I know, I know: the guy tries to rape Clary. But, he's evil! What do you really expect? He's twisted and feels that he "belongs to" Clary and I wouldn't doubt, in fact, I'm hoping for, a continuation of his pursuit of Clary in the next book. I do wonder if Jace knows what Sebastian tried to do to Clary. He makes a comment in the epilogue that he wants to kill Sebastian for what he did to him [Jace] and what he did to Clary, but does he know the true extent? The beating and the attempted rape?

What I would really like to see in the next book is damage to Clary, instead of damage to Jace. In the past books, it's about Clary having to watch or deal with or, in some cases, dole out damage to the boy who she loves. But I would love to have the tables turned: how does Jace react and deal with damage to Clary? How would he respond to her death or kidnapping or distance? Clare has hinted in scenes, but, in my opinion, never really delved into that POV in the earlier books.

Sure, it bugs me that the whole heavenly-fire-running-through-Jace means he and Clary can't take their relationships to the next level, but there were already hints in the epilogue that the Silent Brothers perhaps have a resolution to that. And I find it really difficult to believe that Clare would build up the romance, longing, and sexual tension throughout five books only to ultimately deny readers the delight of Jace and Clary finally consumating their love. My suspicion is that it'll resolve . . . I just hope I like the way Clare brings it about!

4.5 stars ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,272,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible