City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:natalieleclerc
Title:City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (89)  Italian (2)  All languages (91)
I'm not much of a critic when it comes to Clary and Jace... I fell hook, line, and sinker for this world when I read the first book. This one was a great adventure - as they all have been... I was a little sad at a couple of the storyline resolutions (or lack thereof...) But reading is an escape, and this fit the bill! ( )
  Delancey.Stewart | Nov 22, 2014 |
Ugh! The way this one ends! March is going to take forever to get here! I can't wait to read the next one! In my opinion, each novel in this series was even better than the last. There is always a new twist to the series. The most imaginative series I have read yet. This may just be my favorite YA series to date. ( )
  chellebuck79 | Nov 6, 2014 |
love a good series almost as much as I love a

Image from Library Thing
big fat novel. Cassandra Clare has met both of my requirements! These are the last two books in the Mortal Instruments series. In the midst of these books she also wrote the Infernal Devices series that is a prequel to these, and in an absolutely wonderful way is not completely a prequel!

These books tell the story of Clary Fray and Jace Herondale - both Shadowhunters. In this earth the world is defended from demons by Shadowhunters descended from angels. And the world is threatened by Clary's evil brother Sebastian - I am not talking run of the mill evil - but demon spawn, everything is turned on it's head and life as we know it will end when he gets control evil!

As usually happens in YA lit - the teens save the day. And there is a bit of romance - between a werewolf and a shadowhunter, between a shadowhunter and a warlock and between Clary and Jace! Sometimes that can be annoying - but in these I was ok with it. It's mostly longing and wondering and hoping. The cover art makes it look much hotter than it actually is!!!

This is a complicated story - one that takes hundreds of pages and multiple books to roll out...and I loved every minute of it! Watching these awkward mundanes (non-magical or not yet magical) teens grow up on the pages of the book. In that way it reminded me of Harry and Ron and Hermoine. The hope of every teen to be something amazing and the horror of every teen to be something amazing all rolled up together.

I highly recommend these books! and in typical series fashion - at the end of this one is a small tidbit of the next series. The twist Clare makes is each series is intertwined and foreshadowed! I LOVE THAT!! I would love to see her planning notes. How does she keep it all straight?? I stand in awe of writers who are able to craft a story in the way she does! Bravo!! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
just okay as usual. the main character in this series is just lacking. ( )
  jodiesohl | Oct 9, 2014 |
I am loving this series with its multitude of quirky and paranormal characters! Still, I have to say, does Jace have to suffer some sort of personality change/possession/blinding with an evil person in every book? I'm really hoping he stays normal Jace in the next book, because his ever changing personality and loyalties (though he always comes back to the right side in the end) are getting a little tiresome. Nevertheless, this book is well worth reading. I enjoy Simon, Isabelle, Maia, Jordan, Magnus, and Alec just as much (if not more!) than Jace and Clary. Fun reading! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 5, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,335,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible