City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:natalieleclerc
Title:City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (113)  Italian (2)  All languages (115)
still not very strong book. it's the main character that I find lacking. She is supposed to be a strong female character, but is so weak when it comes to a boy". Disappointing" ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
A Very Low 3 Stars. If it wasn't for Simon in all his awesomeness it wouldn't have even gotten 2 stars.

Lots of rambling and possible spoilers ahead:

*ugh* Where do I even start?! This wasn't as terrible as a lot of people say it is...once you sift through the ridiculous amount of Clary whining over Jace. Can I just say that Jace under Sebastathan's control was much more likable than normal Jace?! CC really wrote him as an unlikable character. And it's funny because his love for himself and confidence could be compared with Magnus', but where Magnus is sassy and hilarious, Jace is conceited to the point where he seems like he's truly in love with himself, and it's just U.G.L.Y. (He ain't got no alibi!)

And is it wrong that I LOVE Sebastathan? Where I hated Valentine because he was just a crazy zealot, I love Sebastathan because he's just pure evil. Valentine mistook his crazy self righteousness for pure intentions. Sebastathan knows he's evil and is surprisingly okay with it. Although deep down I think he does wish he was capable of love and being loved--specifically by Jace and Clary. That just may be his downfall. Or maybe not. More than likely Jace and new his heavenly fire along with Clary's blind, dumb luck will be the end for Sebastathan.

And once again Clary races off into danger to save Jace without regard to herself or anyone else. Simon, Alec, Isabelle, and Magnus all risked their lives by summoning a greater demon and an actual angel of the lord, but at least they went in with a plan and they all worked together. Clary sees Jace in trouble and just goes running blindly into the unknown leaving everyone else to (potentially) pick up the pieces if her non-plan is an epic fail. Which it usually is. I get love, love so deep and passionate that you would potentially let the world burn to save your beloved, but that's only in thought not in deed. Once she stopped and thought about what was happening, she realized what a ginormously huge mistake she made by not letting Jace sacrifice himself. Jace knew what the cost of saving himself would be, and he didn't want to pay it. Now Sebastathan is on the loose with an Infernal Cup and revenge on his mind. He will very likely make a huge shadowhunter-hunter army. There will be a huge war and lots of people who didn't have to die, will in fact die. I'll say it again, Clary is selfish and thoughtless. It would have probably broken her to lose Jace, but the world would have kept on turning, Magnus is proof of it. I just feel like her selfishness is constantly rewarded. The amount of angst this couple exudes is just too much. I know it's teenage love, but DAMN!

Isabelle needs to get over herself and tell Simon how she feels. She's the first one to think men should be tripping over themselves for her--that no one is worthy of her greatness, so why would anyone feel like they could truly have her? Why would they express their undying love if they know they're unworthy of her? That they'll just be shot down? She's another one with just a little too much conceit for my taste. I love a strong, confident, badass woman, but there's a thin line between self assurance and narcissism.

And poor, sad, clueless Alec. I feel so, so bad for him. He's never done a relationship--even his familial relationships seem to be seriously lacking in the relationship department. Magnus was one hundred percent right to break-up with him--I sure as hell would have--but I still feel bad for Alec. He doesn't know what to do with these feels he's having, and quite frankly there isn't any one to talk to about them. His parents are useless, his sister is too self involved, Jace and Clary can't see past one another, and he has no other true friends--he'd ever go to Simon. He was scared, and jealous, and confused, but it didn't make what he did right, even if he did realize what a dumb ass he was and decided to do the right thing. It was so wrong to try to make such an enormous decision for Magnus. He should have spoken to Magnus about it; if he had been honest, he would have learned that Magnus was already considering it, and that would have probably been enough to ease his fears. But he didn't talk to the man he supposedly loved and ended up losing him. Poora, poora, pussy cat. (Anyone who gets that reference has my respect as a lover of old school!)

And poor Magnus! How must he feel being betrayed by someone he loves so deeply. He never wanted to, or thought he could be in love with a shadowhunter, but he made an exception for Alec--not that he could have stopped himself from loving him, but he could have stayed away from him. Magnus risked a lot getting involved with a young, inexperienced, closeted, shadowhunter. He risked his heart, his life, and quite frankly his sanity to be with Alec and he was repaid with treachery. And what's worse, he was actually considering giving up his immortality so that he could grow old with Alec. That's like the ultimate slap in the face!

Now with all that being said, Alec didn't mean any harm, and he really had come to his senses before he did anything irreparably stupid. I truly hope Magnus doesn't take too long to realize this and they get back together. But I'm sure the road to a Malec reunion will be long and full of *shudder* angst. I never knew there could be too much teenage angst in an YA series and yet we have this series. I'm committed now; five books deep, there's no turning back. There had just better be an epic reunion of Alec and Magnus in the next book...and less Clace wangst! ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |

Originally posted here

So Jace is not himself, Sebastian is crazy, there is trouble in paradise between Alec and Magnus, and the plot moves ever slowly forward. This is probably the slowest book yet in the series in my opinion. Most of the characters spend the majority of their time just standing around discussing things. There is a handful of big events but on the whole I was disappointed with the pace of this book.

Again, a bunch of references to The Infernal Devices which made my little fangirl heart swoon. I have not read Clockwork Princess as of yet but I feel like there were some hints in this book that reference it and it has made me super nervous for the conclusion of that trilogy. Help.

The last one hundred pages were nail-bitingly epic as always. The romance between Clary and Jace is taken up a notch and I really wish they would just do the 'no pants dance' just to remedy the insane sexual tension between the two of them; but of course this is YA so they never quite get there. Gotta love YA. Sebastian is one sick puppy, enough said.

I am glad I am reaching the end of this series, it is kind of a bittersweet feeling. I am expecting City of Heavenly Fire  to be action packed and not as slow as this book. ( )
  4everfanatical | Jun 17, 2016 |

3.5 stars

"You're right," Clary said, "Our problems really aren't like other people's problems."

Here I am, the fifth book of the series completed, one more to go.

I read more for the characters than the story at this point. So far it still seems most of the book's world really was effectively wrapped up by the end of the third book. Now I'm reading more to see what happens with the characters: how they grow, what they do, what the result is.

The villain in the series is like Jason from Friday the 13th: hard to kill and doesn't want to stay dead. Scenes with him were actually fascinating sometimes, better than before; he has that intriguing darkness about him that livens up the page scenes. I still could care less about Clary, but the dynamic with them and that bizarre apartment and other worlds was almost mystical. The party scene with the fae was especially dark.

Jace...well, he is not here most of the book in the form we know him, and I still don't care much about the relationship angle. It's not as mooning this time around, though, and even if I kept skimming their scenes sometimes, it didn't get on my nerves as much as before. Isabelle has surprisingly grown on me - she shows stronger character and compassion. Simon is a favorite of the writer, it seems. His sidestory in this book isn't big and interesting, but he plays a major role in the team. I'm not sure what to think yet about the ending with him and something he lost.

I'm happy there was a lot more of Alec and Magnus, my favorite pairing. Alec makes some stupid decisions that made me grate my teeth, though, which was beyond annoying. The ending was a stab to the heart but the scene was powerfully written. Alec is one of my favorites with his seriousness and genuine issues, but he overdid the worry here sometimes. He finally got to shine as awesome with his fighting skills during the war, especially the arrow and then Magnus' pride. (“Speaking of hope, did you see that shot Alec got off with his bow? That's my boyfriend.” ) The warlock himself = bliss. My favorite character of the series. He goes from being amusing with his clothing comments and accusing Simon of eating his cat, to mysterious with the father's history, to absolutely drool-worthy with how he's sweet with Alec. Be still my heart - although now it's broken after the end (Grrr) Spoilers at least prepared me for it.

The scene with Maureen was unrealistic, I'm already tired of her by the last book. Curious what's happened with the Lightwood's father. The ending note seemed a bit anticlimactic, but at least there was no big cliffhanger. Even though I have the next book ready, wasn't in the mood for that.

As always, action scenes are treated effectively and Clare writes them well. Dialogue goes from poetic (Sebastian) to funny (others), spot on. (“As far as I’m concerned, this is the worst thing that’s happened since I found out why Magnus was banned from Peru.” - Jace) Pacing is a little uneven still but that's why some skimming was invented.

So far one of my favorites of the series, hope I can say the same about the next and final book. Just hope my favorites are in there lot - I got so bored with Jordan and Maia scenes and a little too much head hopping around. ( )
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I just couldn't finish this. It seemed like the same thing over and over again. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil.
He only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- Mary Wollstonecraft
Love is a familiar. Love is a devil. There is no evil angel but Love.
-William Shakespeare,Love's Labour's Lost
I love you as one loves certain dark things
-Pablo Neruda, "Sonnet XVII"
All changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.

-William Butler Yeats, "Easter, 1916"
For Nao,
Tim, David,
and Ben
"How much longer will the verdict take, do you think?" Clary asked. - Chapter 1
Simon stood and stared numbly at the front door of his house. - Prologue
(p 155)

Simon, I've been trying to call you, bit it seems like
your phone is turned off. I don't know where your are
right now. I don't know if Clary's already told you
what happened tonight. But I have to go to Magnus's
and I'd really like you to be there.

I'm never scared, but I'm scared for Jace. I'm scared
for my brother. I never ask you for anything, Simon,
but I'm asking you now. Please come.

Isabelle.
(p 379)

Now this is the Law of the Jungle,
as old and as true as the sky,
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk,
the Law runneth forward and back;
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
(p 388-389)

To mirror when she straightaway
And did her ebon hair array
And for her gown she much did pay.
Then down she walked along the street,
A handsome lad she chanced to meet,
And sore by dawn were her dainty feet,
But all the boys were gay.
(p 432)

Black for hunting through the night
For death and sorrow, the color's white.
Gold for a bride in her wedding gown,
And red to call enchantment down."

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,731,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible