City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:natalieleclerc
Title:City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (101)  Italian (2)  All languages (103)
Jace, where oh where did Jace go ? This guy gets himself in so much trouble. Now he's disappeared along with the evil Sebastian's body. Of course everyone if frantically trying to figure out what happened. They just went 'poof' gone, no clues left behind. Their search is hampered by the Clave's investigations. Red tape rearing it's ugly head, it's even here.
There belief that Jace and Sebastian are both dead comes crashing around them with the stabbing of somebody near and dear to the gang. Life hangs, death is near and nobody knows what to do. Clary can't let him go, she can't let him be dead, never again.
The doomed adventure begins. There is major dark mojo and twists to discover. People have changed, or have they ? The only way to know is to jump into the black and hope for a light.

My only complaint-
It was very good, except the Jace/ Clary- connecting, not connecting, getting together/staying apart..endless teasing. It is time to bring them together or tear them apart this is getting ridiculous ! I know it is YA, but this author has had them to the point of banging the bedpost for 5 books now, 5 ! She makes it so important in the story, they think about it, get all hot and bothered only to pull away at the last moment. This one was the worst for dragging it out for yet another book. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is the fifth YA novel in the Mortal Instrument series. The greater demon Lilith has been "killed" and returned to Hell but Jace is now missing, last seen with the resurrected son of Valentine, Sebastian. Jace and Sebastian have been bound; Jace being subservient to Sebastian and any attempt to kill Sebastian will result in the death of Jace. Sebastian is now plotting to raise a race of dark Shadowhunters through the aid of Lilith's blood. Clary and the others spend much of the remainder of the book trying to find a weapon that will kill Sebastian without hurting Jace. I enjoyed this novel; however, the adolescent ardor was a bit too much to bear. However, I must remember that this novel was written for teenagers; not a middle-age man. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |
This one was better than the last, but still not as good as the first three. Still, I can't wait to see how the series ends in the sixth installment. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I really like this series, hence the four stars, but this book really dragged in the middle for me. Thankfully, things picked up again toward the end and I couldn't put it down. Loved the ending, and can't wait to start the next book in the series. ( )
  Raeleigh | Jan 14, 2016 |
For a moment, it looked like Jace and Clary finally had a shot at living happily ever after, for a Shadowhunter couple that is. But then Jace vanishes only to reappear days later as Sebastian's cohort in crime. Oh, the tragedy! Very good installment. Definite page turner, but the redundancy is a little annoying. Maybe I shouldn't read the whole series back to back... ;) ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil.
He only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- Mary Wollstonecraft
Love is a familiar. Love is a devil. There is no evil angel but Love.
-William Shakespeare,Love's Labour's Lost
I love you as one loves certain dark things
-Pablo Neruda, "Sonnet XVII"
All changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.

-William Butler Yeats, "Easter, 1916"
For Nao,
Tim, David,
and Ben
"How much longer will the verdict take, do you think?" Clary asked. - Chapter 1
Simon stood and stared numbly at the front door of his house. - Prologue
(p 155)

Simon, I've been trying to call you, bit it seems like
your phone is turned off. I don't know where your are
right now. I don't know if Clary's already told you
what happened tonight. But I have to go to Magnus's
and I'd really like you to be there.

I'm never scared, but I'm scared for Jace. I'm scared
for my brother. I never ask you for anything, Simon,
but I'm asking you now. Please come.

Isabelle.
(p 379)

Now this is the Law of the Jungle,
as old and as true as the sky,
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk,
the Law runneth forward and back;
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
(p 388-389)

To mirror when she straightaway
And did her ebon hair array
And for her gown she much did pay.
Then down she walked along the street,
A handsome lad she chanced to meet,
And sore by dawn were her dainty feet,
But all the boys were gay.
(p 432)

Black for hunting through the night
For death and sorrow, the color's white.
Gold for a bride in her wedding gown,
And red to call enchantment down."

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,212,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible