City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:natalieleclerc
Title:City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (91)  Italian (2)  All languages (93)
I absolutely love this series and I think that City of Lost Souls is my favorite so far. Nothing is easy in these books and I like that nod to real life. This book ran the gamut of emotions... from funny and snarky to dark and suspenseful.

The snarky humor is fantastic, the one-line zingers delivered by Jace, Simon, and Magnus. It is sarcastic and witty and I love the banter. I was worried that Jace's story line would take that away from his character, but I was happy to discover that he was just as snarky as ever.

The story was pretty dark in this book, with all kinds of shifting dynamics between the characters. Jace and Sebastian, Sebastian and Clary, Jace and Clary, Magnus and Alec, Simon and Isabelle, Jordan and Maia. All of the relationships in this book are affected in different ways by the events of the book and that kept the story interesting.

There was a lot of suspense in this book and a lot of twists. I love that the author isn't afraid to mess with her characters and turn their stories on end!

My Recommendation

I am ready to start Heavenly Fire, although I am sad to see the series end! ( )
  Kiki870 | Jan 13, 2015 |
At the end of City of Fallen Angels, Lilith's ritual is complete and Sebastian awakens, linked to Jace. Now they've disappeared, and the Shadowhunters trying to track them are having no luck. Clary isn't about to take the loss of her boyfriend sitting down, however, and has plans of her own - with her friends Simon, Isabelle and Alec - to get Jace back, whatever the cost.

As the fifth book in the series following Clary Fray and Jace Lightwood and their friends in saving the world from demons and other evil, this title has all the pluses and minuses of the other books in the series. The action sequences are heart-pounding; the story is long (over 500 pages) yet the pages move quickly, most of the time. We're following a lot of characters now, and I thought the story suffered somewhat for being spread over so many people and places. I found myself annoyed with Clary for her "anything for Jace" attitude, and I think that's why it's my least favorite in the series so far. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 4, 2015 |
This series has switched narrators for the audio version more than any I've known. 5 narrators so far. I am reading the hard copy of #6, so it won't be an issue. ( )
  Dawn94 | Dec 20, 2014 |
I'm not much of a critic when it comes to Clary and Jace... I fell hook, line, and sinker for this world when I read the first book. This one was a great adventure - as they all have been... I was a little sad at a couple of the storyline resolutions (or lack thereof...) But reading is an escape, and this fit the bill! ( )
  Delancey.Stewart | Nov 22, 2014 |
Ugh! The way this one ends! March is going to take forever to get here! I can't wait to read the next one! In my opinion, each novel in this series was even better than the last. There is always a new twist to the series. The most imaginative series I have read yet. This may just be my favorite YA series to date. ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Nov 6, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,271,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible