City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:natalieleclerc
Title:City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (74)  Italian (2)  All languages (76)
By far, this was my very favorite book in the "Mortal Instruments" series thus far. I thought it had a really good balance of action, romance, conflict, and plot twists and, my goodness, is this book sexy!

City of Lost Souls is book five in the "Mortal Instruments" series. As with the other books, it picks up right where the previous book left off. Jace, who was demonically compelled by Sebastian, is bound to Valentine's son and has disappeared, leaving only blood and broken glass on the rooftop where he, Clary, and Simon fought Lillith. The Clave, faced with other matters they deem more important, has deprioritized their search for Jace, but Clary, Isabelle, and Alec don't agree. They clandestinely continue their efforts, enlisting the help of unlikely allies along the way. As it turns out, Jace comes to them or, he comes for Clary, and she hatches her own plan (with Simon's help) to go undercover with Jace and Sebastian to try and uncover what Sebastian is really planning and how to sever the bond between Jace and Sebastian without killing Jace.

I really liked the character relationships in this book. Jordan and Maia, Simon and Isabelle, Jace and Clary all delve deeper and evolved as individuals and as couples. (And the all share steamy scenes that got my pulse racing!) The couple who I had heard the most outrage about - Alec and Magnus - seem flat and distant to me. I don't really connect with them; though I find Magnus's humor delightful. The dramatic turn in their relationship, I know, really bothered a lot of other readers, but just sort of skimmed by me and didn't trouble me much.

Sebastian put on a good front for a while, but I love how Clare revealed his true nature and just how horrible he really is. I know, I know: the guy tries to rape Clary. But, he's evil! What do you really expect? He's twisted and feels that he "belongs to" Clary and I wouldn't doubt, in fact, I'm hoping for, a continuation of his pursuit of Clary in the next book. I do wonder if Jace knows what Sebastian tried to do to Clary. He makes a comment in the epilogue that he wants to kill Sebastian for what he did to him [Jace] and what he did to Clary, but does he know the true extent? The beating and the attempted rape?

What I would really like to see in the next book is damage to Clary, instead of damage to Jace. In the past books, it's about Clary having to watch or deal with or, in some cases, dole out damage to the boy who she loves. But I would love to have the tables turned: how does Jace react and deal with damage to Clary? How would he respond to her death or kidnapping or distance? Clare has hinted in scenes, but, in my opinion, never really delved into that POV in the earlier books.

Sure, it bugs me that the whole heavenly-fire-running-through-Jace means he and Clary can't take their relationships to the next level, but there were already hints in the epilogue that the Silent Brothers perhaps have a resolution to that. And I find it really difficult to believe that Clare would build up the romance, longing, and sexual tension throughout five books only to ultimately deny readers the delight of Jace and Clary finally consumating their love. My suspicion is that it'll resolve . . . I just hope I like the way Clare brings it about!

4.5 stars ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
Where do I begin with how much I loved this book? It literally had me on the edge of my seat. I laughed (A LOT), I cried, I was disgusted, I mourned the characters, I was devastated. COLS took me places I never imagined the story going. I could go on and on about how much I love Cassie and the world she created, but I'll just skip to all the good parts. Warning! Tons and tons of Spoilers as well as speculation.

My absolute favorite part of the book was when Jace came to Clary after killing Magdalena. It ripped my heart out to read about him falling to his knees in front of her and saying “It’s me.” That entire scene was powerful, illustrating their love for each other and the impossibility of Jace’s binding to Sebastian.

Next favorite part? Clary stabbing Jace through the heart. Yes, I know, this is downright terrible! I can’t help it though. Clary is such a strong character, and she knows that this is what Jace would want to happen, no matter the consequences. I envy her strength, her absolute conviction to do what is right.

You know what killed me even more than Clary and Jace? Magnus and Alec! I love them together, but I kind of always suspected that Alec’s insecurity would be their downfall. I’m interested to see how this will all play out in the long run. Obviously Magnus has something going on that we don’t know about, something with his father. Was his father a Shadowhunter? I’m also afraid that it will be Magnus who will die in COHF. If I had to bet money, I would guess either Magnus or Simon will die. I love both of them so much…I don’t even want to think about it. Honestly, if I had to choose someone to die, it’d be Jocelyn. I never much cared for her or her selfish decisions.

Things that I can’t wait to hear more about: Jace is on fire. And I don’t just mean his looks. This whole heavenly fire thing he’s got going on…that’s interesting. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a major plot point. What about Brother Zachariah? He’s someone we’ve met before in The Infernal Devices, I believe. But WHO? Simon has lost his mark of Cain. I can’t see this ending well for him…I’d hate to see him die again.

Lastly- Maureen. Holy crazy bitch! She killed Camille! Yet another thing I can’t see ending well. I really love how her character has evolved and suddenly become hugely important. I wonder who she will side with in the battle that’s coming. My guess is the darkness, which would leave the fae, the vampires, and the dark shadowhunters on one side, and the shadowhunters, and werewolves on the other side. ( )
  kacimari | May 28, 2014 |
Well--not bad. The reasoning Clary gives right before doing The Big Thing she does at the end really doesn't make any sense...the explanation given after the fact is better, but it's frustrating at the time, because it's the climax of the book and I'm thinking, "Uh...whut? Author fail." Also, I really wish I could stop reading things like "have smote." But whatever.

The plot's good, and the developments at the end of this book are definitely the most interesting of the series. Bummer to have to wait for the next one. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
This was absolutely my favorite of the series. The character development was so much better, and it was so much less predictable. It had a much darker feel to it than the previous books and it had a really interesting plot line. I still have problems with Jace and Clary as a couple and I think that there was a story line gone wrong with Magnus and Alec. I hope that in the sequel series they address Alec giving away his memory and then miraculously getting it back. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
Loved It!

I have been rapidly working my way through this series and I am totally addicted now. Claire's world-building is phenomenal. Get ready to be sucked into an adventure you will not forget!
  Stephanie_Keyes | Apr 3, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible