City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Title:City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (95)  Italian (2)  All languages (97)
I was anxiously anticipating this book, considering the way the previous book in the series -- City of Fallen Angels -- ended. The trailer that was released also made a compelling case for allowing one's self to get excited. When I began this book, it was almost like coming into the series having only read cliff notes. I went into this with a somewhat diminished memory of the preceding events; oddly, I remembered more details from City of Glass than from CoLS. Luckily for myself, -- and readers like me who consume so much, that some things slip their memory -- Cassandra Clare does a really good job of incorporating the necessary tidbits of information from the previous book without doing a full on monologue detailing everything in a monotonous, drawn-out way.

Synopsis: Jace is missing and is presumably being held captive by the demon-spawn known as Sebastian. This is the long and short of it; any more details would be giving too much away.

What I liked: This book, while still heavily centered on Clary, treats the audience to varied perspectives. We get quite a bigger glimpse of everyone else's individual lives. While everything ultimately comes back to Clary and Jace, this book is less about how everyone else ties into their story, and more about how they exist within it but not solely. We see into the other character's relationships; Simon and Isabel, Jordan and Maia and especially Alec and Magnus. We see Simon as he comes to grip with his nature and his ""curse"" -- which keeps him alive, so really should be considered a blessing, but I digress. We see more of the familial bond between Isabel and Alec and get a better understanding of Isabel's feelings toward Jace.

Getting a peek into the mind of Sebastian is also interesting, though I found no surprises there myself.

What I disliked: Clary. I am at the point where Clary and Jace are a novelty that I no longer find appealing. There is love and then there's their love. I cannot deal with the idea of a person, or people, who would let the world implode if it meant they could be together. I don't like selfish, reckless love; I don't find that romantic or endearing. They're young and vivacious and have had experiences that make everything they feel more intense, more urgent and I understand that. But, I feel like Clary should have learned something. I realize the amount of time that has passed in the books is really short -- six months is my understanding, I need to verify this -- but the quality of experiences Clary has had should have made her mature some. She's still as impetuous and stubborn as she was before, if not more so.

I wouldn't care so much about Clary's feelings and actions if they weren't so destructive, but her rash decisions and single-minded focus rarely aid the situation. Clary in all her naive teenage foolery is willing to do anything to see to Jace's safety, even at the risk of her own, and possibly many other's lives. She's a lot like Harry Potter in that she gets by, not on ability, but on sheer luck and the fortune of having friends who are talented. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to diminish the role Clary plays; she is by all means a strong, capable young woman. But she acts emotionally, not rationally and naivete can only be an excuse for so long. Eventually, she has to grow up.

Conclusion: I love this book, with Clary being the one caveat. She -- for lack of a better phrase -- gets on my nerves. The subset of stories and relationships that exist within the main story are what intrigue me and make me want to keep reading. I cannot wait to learn who survives, who dies, who is changed for the better or worse and what ultimately happens to Clary, Jace, Simon, Alec, Isabel, Magnus and Sebastian and how their story impacts the overall world of the Shadowhunters.

Original review at Fictional Crush. ( )
  rawrrbot | Sep 15, 2015 |

I started hating this book mid-way as the characters started to act like teenagers in a way they never did in any of the other books.

It did not get better. My only hope at the end was that Clary and Jace would break up, but they didn't. Fortunately Magnus left Alec before he could plot to do something even worse to him. ( )
  remikit | Sep 6, 2015 |
Jace is missing, and Clary’s out to find him, no matter what the cost. With Sebastian back to finish what his father started, the Scooby Gang has to find a way to stop him before it’s too late. It’s almost over, it’s almost over! They still can’t be together, the world is ending, and it’s almost over! One more book and I’ll be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ( )
  lyrrael | Sep 3, 2015 |
"This is by far the worst book of the whole series so far. It seems like Cassandra Clare has finally perfected the art of padding out books. Seriously, more than one hundred and fifty pages of Clary and the others living in misery because Jace is missing and then the same amount of pages of Clary ""sacrificing"" herself in search of a way to get Jace back. I feel like if I had jumped for the last one hundred pages of the book I could have saved a lot of time and it would not have even mattered as far as understanding the story.

I am only giving this book a 3/5 out of respect for Clare's creativity regarding some original mystical artifacts created by her to make the story make more sense; also, because there were really cool parts of the book where Clary's and Jace's pasts were explained and the whole thing involving their special powers turned out to be very well thought out. Other than that, this book served only to back up my opinion that this whole thing could have well ended two books ago.

The Last Passage
Atop the wings was a folded piece of paper, addressed to the New York Institute. After splashing water on her face, Maryse had taken the letter and read it. It was short—one sentence—and was signed with a name in a handwriting oddly familiar to her, for in it there was the echo of Valentine’s cursive, the flourishes of his letters, the strong, steady hand. But it was not Valentine’s name. It was his son’s.
Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern.
She held it out now to Brother Zachariah. He took it from her fingers and opened it, reading, as she had, the single word of Ancient Greek scrawled in elaborate script across the top of the page.
Erchomai, it said.
I am coming.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
I absolutely love this series and I think that City of Lost Souls is my favorite so far. Nothing is easy in these books and I like that nod to real life. This book ran the gamut of emotions... from funny and snarky to dark and suspenseful.

The snarky humor is fantastic, the one-line zingers delivered by Jace, Simon, and Magnus. It is sarcastic and witty and I love the banter. I was worried that Jace's story line would take that away from his character, but I was happy to discover that he was just as snarky as ever.

The story was pretty dark in this book, with all kinds of shifting dynamics between the characters. Jace and Sebastian, Sebastian and Clary, Jace and Clary, Magnus and Alec, Simon and Isabelle, Jordan and Maia. All of the relationships in this book are affected in different ways by the events of the book and that kept the story interesting.

There was a lot of suspense in this book and a lot of twists. I love that the author isn't afraid to mess with her characters and turn their stories on end!

My Recommendation

I am ready to start Heavenly Fire, although I am sad to see the series end! ( )
  Kiki870 | Jan 13, 2015 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil. He only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks. - Mary Wollstonecraft
For Nao, Tim, David, and Ben
"How much longer will the verdict take, do you think?" Clary asked. - Chapter 1
Simon stood and stared numbly at the front door of his house. - Prologue

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible