A Widow's Story: A Memoir by Joyce…

A Widow's Story: A Memoir

by Joyce Carol Oates

4683522,128 (3.65)1 / 33

English (34)  German (1)  All (35)
Enjoyable? No. But this account of Oates' raw grief following the loss of her husband of nearly fifty years wasn't meant to entertain. At a writer's workshop, a professor once said that a good writer "bled out on the page." She certainly did that, and she is to be forgiven a certain repetitiveness for, as she noted in the narrative, each day became an space of time to be survived, and inherently repetitious.
  turtlesleap | Sep 15, 2017 |
A Widow's Story describes Joyce Carol Oates' struggle to comprehend a life absent of the partnership that had sustained and defined her for nearly half a century (Fourth Estate, 2012, £8.99).
  LibraryPAH | Jul 27, 2017 |
Skimmed through this book. I felt, to the degree that skimming will allow, how the author lived through her husband's death and her acceptance of the immense change that ultimately came to her life. ( )
  jack2410 | Feb 2, 2017 |
A Widow's Story describes Joyce Carol Oates' struggle to comprehend a life absent of the partnership that had sustained and defined her for nearly half a century.
  CommunityResources | Dec 20, 2016 |
Memoir is not my favourite genre, but as far as memoir goes this one is right up there. Coincidentally, Oates' colleague, Joan Didion wrote a very similar and also excellent memoir of her husband's death, "The Year of Magical Thinking". Where would we be without dying husbands? I'm not a huge fan of the entire output of Joyce Carol Oates, with the horror genre definitely not appearing on my reading list, but reading this memoir has encouraged me to go back into her extensive backlist and have another look. Actually I didn't read this in the strict sense, I listened to the audiobook version while I ran through the streets of Sydney at night. There's another coincidence - Oates is a runner, She said in an interview once: "I like to run every day. It's part of my writing. It helps me think. I get so many wonderful ideas when I run." I can relate to that, and I can relate very well to the story of the loss of her husband, although thankfully my partner is alive & well. This audiobook had a really excellent reader: Ellen Parker. ( )
  oldblack | Mar 7, 2015 |
Brutal violence and catastrophic loss are often the subjects of Oates' powerful novels and stories. But as she reveals in this galvanizing memoir, her creative inferno was sequestered from her joyful life with her husband, Raymond Smith. A revered editor and publisher who did not read her fiction, Smith kept their household humming during their 48-year marriage. After his shocking death from a secondary infection while hospitalized with pneumonia, Oates found herself in the grip of a relentless waking nightmare. She recounts this horrific siege of grief from epic insomnia and terrifying hallucinations to the torment of death-duties, and a chilling evaporation of meaning. But Oates also rallies to offer droll advice on how to be a good widow. Oates has created an illuminating portrait of a marriage, a searing confrontation with death, an extraordinarily forthright chronicle of mourning. Her memoir of sudden widowhood will have an impact similar to Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking (2005).
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Donna Seaman (Mar 18, 2013)

novelistic and expansive, switching between first and third persons, seeking to objectify herself as `the widow' ... mainly focused on the dark interiors, the psycho-chaos of grief.
added by KayCliff | editNew York Review of Books, Julian Barnes (Apr 7, 2011)

This book’s timeline includes the facts that Mr. Smith died on Feb. 18, 2008, less than a month before his 78th birthday, and that it took Ms. Oates more than a year and a half to remove his voice from their telephone answering machine. It does not say that by the time he had been dead for 11 months, Ms. Oates was happily engaged to Dr. Charles Gross, the professor of neuroscience who became her second husband in 2009.

How delicately must we tread around this situation?...A book long and rambling enough to contemplate an answering-machine recording could have found time to mention a whole new spouse.

Joyce Carol Oates shares her struggle to comprehend a life absent of the partnership that had sustained and defined her for nearly half a century.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,967,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible