The Metamorphosis [graphic novel] by Peter…

The Metamorphosis [graphic novel]

by Peter Kuper (Author), Franz Kafka (Author)

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
Maybe it's because I had to read this as part of a literature course, or maybe I lost a lot because it was in German, but I just don't like Kafka: I find him a bit too way out for my liking. As a beginning: One morning Gregor woke up and found he was a beetle' - it sounds like it could be intriguing, but actually the style with which it is written continues in the same vein; matter-of-fact, lacking in detail and the characters just didn't grab me. I must be illiterate as I know how highly this is critiqued, but I just can't get myself to like it. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
Quick read coupled with beautiful artwork ( )
  Joseph_Stelmaszek | Nov 29, 2015 |
Hilarious. It only took about ten minutes to read, too. ( )
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
Hilarious. It only took about ten minutes to read, too. ( )
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
It's eerie enough that this book published in the early 1900's seems more valid now than ever. A society anesthetized on callous mediocrity exists on the pages of Metamorphosis. It's a warning of the not so distant future that encompasses a society; busy keeping their heads down and working nonstop, they begin to lose their humanity.

Gregor Samsa, the main character, begins as a vital male worker, a traveling salesman who clocks countless hours to provide for his mother, father and sister. He is never able to fulfill his family's sense of entitlement. They accrue more debt and never show a drop of sympathy for his back-breaking work loads. Instead of any love, they depict a detached tolerance for Gregor.

Then, one day, he wakes up to find himself metamorphosed into an insect. A beetle, to be exact. The story is powerful and moving. It causes the reader to feel a deep sorrow for the helplessness of a dehumanized and neglected man.

For the entire review, please go here:
http://bookendchronicles.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-metamorphosis.html ( )
  gigifrost | Feb 3, 2013 |
With The Metamorphosis, Kuper shows shuffling in the extreme—the company insect scraping his belly along the floor, misery etched into his mouth—and reimagines Kafka's tale of toil for cubicle creatures of our own day.

Kuper, PeterAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kafka, FranzAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Dedicated to Gregor Samsas everywhere
When Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from disturbing dreams, he found himself transformed . . .
This is a graphic rendering by Peter Kuper, not the original stories.

"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect." So begins Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis, arguably the best-known and most subtly disturbing story in modern literature. Now Peter Kuper has created a graphic version of the story in which Kuper's kinetic art is the perfect complement to the intensity of Kafka's prose. Rather than merely illustrating the story, Kuper animates it with new life and meaning, powerfully reinforcing its themes of isolation, anxiety, and alienation in a dehumanized modern world.… (more)

21 wanted11 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,183,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible