The Hot Gate: Troy Rising III by John Ringo

The Hot Gate: Troy Rising III (edition 2011)

by John Ringo

194960,720 (3.67)3
Title:The Hot Gate: Troy Rising III
Authors:John Ringo
Info:Baen (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read since January 2008, Read Twice since Jan 2008

The Hot Gate: Troy Rising III by John Ringo

This is a typically relentless full-on military adventure from John Ringo and the third in this particular series. Terra thinks it has a breathing space from the relentless Rangora with the three battlestations built on human visualisations of the Imperial Death Star from Star wars, along with quite a bit of alien technology including a number of AIs that have their own issues. EM Parker is the prototypical ubercapable tech and, probably Ringo's preferred type (the model does turn up in his other books as well :-)).

It does get rather too 'Raa-Raa, America is the best!' through the book, almost as if Americans could ever do anything wrong, and although Ringo was Army, the book is as relentlessly Navy. Still, it's a great read, and to be fair, not all things don't go humanity's way! ( )
  JohnFair | Oct 9, 2016 |
A great sci-fi 'space opera' novel. Once again the aliens attack and the defenders of Earth have to fight back in an epic space battle. There's a lot of time spent in this book on politics and training, more so this time than in previous books and a lot less time is spent with Tyler Vernon. Even so, this was fast moving and amusing. Its sure to offend some people though, like the previous books in the series, Ringo is not bashful about his politics. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 12, 2016 |
Fun book continues Troy Rising series. I am tired of this present day focus on female characters. That said the story was good. I enjoyed Ringo's examination of culture clashes between North American military culture and South American culture. One third of the work is devoted to a climatic battle between Earth and the Rangora. I want to see what Ringo does in the fourth installment. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |

The Hot Gate is the third novel in John Ringo??s TROY RISING series. This series started off well with the first half of the first book, Live Free or Die. Then Ringoƒ??s protagonist, Tyler Vernon, turned out to be an outspoken Nazi-sympathizer and TROY RISING plummeted. The second book, Citadel, was better, but still not good enough to recommend. (Please see my reviews for specifics.) I began reading the third book, The Hot Gate, hoping that things would continue to improve, but only because the publisher sent me a free review copy.

Unfortunately, the story regresses in book three. I read most of The Hot Gate, but couldnƒ??t finish it. I donƒ??t want to spend a lot of time on this review because chances are that youƒ??re not reading this unless youƒ??re thinking about reading The Hot Gate, which means you probably have enjoyed the series so far. If thatƒ??s the case, youƒ??ll like The Hot Gate a lot better than I did.

The story continues to follow Dana, the pilot introduced in Citadel. Dana has been transferred to a new battle station where sheƒ??s in charge of a crew made up of Latin American and Muslim recruits. Uh-oh. Immediately you should wonder (or suspect) what John Ringoƒ??s going to do with this. Not surprisingly, he proceeds to stereotype and insult the entire Latin American culture (as if it is one entity) and the Muslim culture, too. The Latinos are sloppy, lazy, stupid, emotional, liars, thieves, womanizers, and obsessed with machismo. The Muslims freak out about the way the women are dressed. I could give examples of all this, but I really donƒ??t want to spend any more time writing about TROY RISING. Besides all this annoying stuff (which makes up most of the plot), the story was boring.

I should mention that a lot of readers like the TROY RISING books. The first two books, especially, get high marks at Amazon and Goodreads. I am an educated patriotic conservative white suburban Protestant who doesnƒ??t see herself as especially ƒ??sensitiveƒ? and not particularly worried about ƒ??political correctness,ƒ? but these books offended me. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This book follows on from Live Free or Die and Citadel. This time we focus solely on Dana as she is transferred to a new unit. The story is interesting, although perhaps it focusses on the dysfunction of the Latin American countries a little more than is really necessary. More interestingly, the book ends the series (as best as I can tell) in an unusual manner for a book like this, with the humans not winning a simple out right victory -- moral or otherwise. Overall, a fun light read.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/John_Ringo/The_Hot_Gate.html ( )
  mikal | Mar 26, 2014 |

Tyler Vernon and his troops aboard the gigantic battle station "Troy" face a desperate battle with the forces of galactic tyranny. And the very survival of the Earth and its people is not all that is at stake. The galaxy itself must choose to live free or die--and if the tyrants win this battle, darkness will fall across the galaxy for millennia to come.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,707,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible