The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose by…

The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose (2003)

by Arnold Lobel

Mother Goose stories are always fun and are considered classic. Arnold Lobel’s illustrations are as charming as ever but the layout of the book feels dated. This is a great choice for parents who want something easy to read. The rhymes can quickly be read or skipped at the parent or child’s wish, in that way, especially with infants and toddlers, who are a very fickle crowd. I would recommend this to any family looking for classics or rhymes. One thing that is nice about Mother Goose is the reader can quickly determine whether or not they will be interested. ( )
  Anna.Nash | Mar 17, 2014 |
This book has the most wonderous and magical illustrations. It's a detailed compendium of Mother Goose, containing popular verses as well as the lesser known rhymes that most versions skip over. For illustrations representing height such as Humpty Dumpty's fall or the cow jumping over the moon, Lobel ingeniously does a two page spread to make the scale of the picture more impressive. He also does vignettes with little pictures for shorter rhymes that fill the pages with detail. His interpretations of the rhymes are very imaginative, such as "Mary Quite Contrary," where bells and shells grow from vines and pretty maids' heads grow as the tops of flowers. The book is long, but the text isn't too difficult or too small to read. The skill of the artwork and the large selection of stories ensure that a wide range of ages will be drawn to it. ( )
  Honanb | Mar 17, 2014 |
Arnold Lobel definitely put his spin on these Mother Goose tales. There are lots of rhymes in this book, but I wouldn't consider them all Mother Goose (the itsy bitsy spider, yankee doodle etc.) This isn't exactly what I remember as a child, and some of the rhymes don't seem to go how I used to know them. Some of the differences hurt the rhythm of the rhymes, too. Maybe these are just Lobel's way of taking liberties with the stories, but it wasn't what I expected. I loved that there were so many different ones compiled in one book, and the illustrations are fun and silly, and very kid-oriented. ( )
  Payama | Feb 23, 2013 |
This book has so many wonderful stories in within it. It contains more than 300 nursery rhymes. Children of all ages will delight in learning these rhymes. I would use this book in a classroom of young children, ages 3-6. I would love to use this book as an introduction to different nursery rhymes, which children can memorize for fun. ( )
  JaclynPoe | Oct 24, 2012 |
The Random House Book of Mother Goose by Arnold Lobel has 306 Nursery Rhymes. I think this book would be great for children ages 2-4 years old. If I was to read this to a pre-school class, I would read several nursery rhymes and when students pick a favorite I would read through the class as many times as they like. This will help students become familiar with words and help with their vocabulary.
  janeyiaC | Oct 7, 2011 |

Knopf is proud to reissue the complete and unabridged Arnold Lobel-illustrated treasury of Mother Goose rhymes, originally published in 1986 as The Random House Book of Mother Goose and unavailable for several years. Reviewers were unanimous in their acclaim of a collection "brimming over with energy...distinguished by abundant humor and a rich variety of moods and styles" (School Library Journal, starred review). The beloved creator of the Frog and Toad books included 306 nursery rhymes--several hundred more than any other quality edition of Mother Goose--and "all are illustrated in a cornucopia of drawings which demonstrates the range of [his] technique and imagination" (Kirkus Reviews). The New York Times Book Review called it "brilliant," while The Washington Post Book World praised it as "surely one of the most satisfying nursery-rhyme books ever made."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:17 -0400)

An illustrated collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes, including well-known ones such as "Bah, Bah, Black Sheep" and "Little Boy Blue" and less familiar ones such as "Doctor Foster went to Gloucester" and "When clouds appear like rocks and towers."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible