The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of…

The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement (2011)

by David Brooks

David Brooks book is a wonderful romp through the multifaceted factors which contribute to human flourishing. Humans are socially located animals whose assumptions about the world are shaped by psychological attachments (or lack thereof), culture, biochemistry, education and impulse. In a highly entertaining narrative (following a couple through their entire life), Brooks unfolds a lot of what the current social scientific and humanities research tell us about why we behave, think, act, feel the way we do. Brooks manages to discuss interpersonal relationships, race, business, politics, culture, the importance of intelligence and more. He also manages to tell it in an engaging and entertaining way. This one goes high on my recommend list. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Do not recall ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Oct 15, 2015 |
Very nice overview of current research about humans as social animals. It seemed somewhat light in the areas I know the best but I understand it is not possible to go into into detail about every aspect of life. ( )
  nujateri | Aug 13, 2015 |
I "read" this book as an audio book. I gave it 5 stars because it fascinated me from the beginning. But the main reason is that I probably experienced the most moving words I have experienced in my life so far at the end of this book. The book follows two fictional characters, Harold and Erica and explains what life is about and what influences we get and have etc. It is quite complex and to get a real good understanding of the topic I might listen to it again.
When we come to the end of the book and to the end of one of the characters life the passing away is described from the person's perspective. This was one of the most moving things I experienced when reading a book. It might be mainly because we followed this person from birth through their whole life.
The description of the person's death from this perspective gave me a huge emotional shock. It kind of woke me up and I think I will have this image in in my mind for a long time. David Brooks manages to describe the thoughts which might go through our mind in the minute we die. ( )
  PeterNZ | May 11, 2015 |
Fascinating book. David Brooks has chosen a very readable way of approaching this material. Reads like a novel, but his research is well documented. I was reading a library copy of this when we went on vacation. I was sorry because I wanted to continue reading, but I don't like to take library books out of town. I was delighted to find it available as an ebook from the library. I borrowed that and took it on my Kindle. Yay! ( )
  njcur | May 10, 2014 |

From the influential and hugely popular "New York Times" columnist and bestselling author of "Bobos in Paradise" comes a landmark exploration of how human beings and communities succeed.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,222,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible