How It Feels by Brendan Cowell

How It Feels (2010)

by Brendan Cowell

An old friend, a best friend, a first love and the dreamer Neil Cronk who connects them all. Four schoolfriends are on the verge of adulthood and the next 12 hours will change the course of their lives... Friendships will be broken, virginity lost, love unleashed and secrets buried.

Neil Cronk is a total ass ( )
  Hannah.McArdle | Jan 9, 2018 |
I never expected to find tears in this book. That only happens through resonance and empathy with the characters, and Neil Cronk is a drug addled arty individual sleeping his way through a myriad of women, deserting his friends, and yet we, and everyone in the story loves him. The pages turn - we want him to escape the drugs, to find a way out, yet at every turn he finds a way to stuff things up. Despite his challenges, he also provides a window into those around him, which in turn causes me to reflect on myself, a great achievement. Whilst set in Cronulla, and clearly a large set of challenges there, this resonates with our own childhoods, and the coming of age we all go through. ( )
  robertdatson | Mar 12, 2011 |
I just don't know about this book. Most of the time, and especially the first half of the book, I found it so crass. In some ways it reminded me of The Slap but it is a much better written book. I loved the breadcrumbs dropped at the end of the chapters leaving you looking for the answers. I also felt how Cowell dealt with suicide was very real. He gave me insight into a life I would never really know. It felt real and raw. I felt such empathy for Neil and other times I was disgusted and repelled. I wanted to help him a guide him as so did Gordon even with his underlying fear. Courtney was always so right about Neil but even she disappointed me.I guess this book has really made me think about the characters and even if their lives have not been something I understood I have gone with the journey.I really disliked The Slap but don't feel the same revulsion as I do twoards How It Feels. This book has really made me think about the characters and their lives. Why couldn't Neil just let go at the end do the right thing with Sarah Kirkwood and the speech. His life could have been great! Oh Cronk they all want you. You are loved. ( )
  lberriman | Mar 5, 2011 |
Either you turn your back forever on those who have seen your youth, or else you will admit its nakedness, and even shame has some sweet melancholy. - Patrick White
For Bart
This was not how I dreamt it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,549,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible