Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Thanhha Lai

1,7203254,123 (4.3)75
Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Inside Out and Back Again
Authors:Thanhha Lai
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:Newberry Award, young girl, Vietnam, bully

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2011)

This novel is written in verse which makes it very easy to read. It was a great perspective into the life of someone who was forced to leave everything behind in search of a safe life. ( )
  Annabelleurb | Dec 13, 2016 |
This novel is in verse style about a compelling story on how a young girl escapes the Vietnam war. Starting a new life with her brother and mother in Alabama. We see how her life changes.
  allymeers | Dec 7, 2016 |
Hà is a ten year old who loves her home of Saigon. When the Vietnam War reaches her home, she is forced to flee and ends up in Alabama which is much, much different from her home she is used to.
  ParisBrockner | Dec 5, 2016 |
Summary: This story is about a sweet little girl named Há who is forced to flee her country and immigrate to Alabama because of the Vietnam War. The book tells about her travels on the way their as well as her feelings about moving and the challenges her and her family face. It is told almost like a poem and it is a good way to introduce children to poetry.

Personal Reaction: I really really enjoyed this book a lot. I feel like it is one I would allow the older and bit more mature kids in my class to read.

Classroom extension:
1. I would ask the kids to write a journal from Há about how they think she was feeling during this time in her life.
2. I would find an age appropriate video for my class to watch about the Vietnam war.
  Shelby_Booker1214 | Nov 30, 2016 |
This is such a powerful book. It is about a little girl and her family escaping from South Vietnam as the war ended. As refugees they eventually come to live in Alabama. The story talks about her having to create a whole new life, including learning to speak a new language. This story is a great tool for granting a new perspective of refugees lives. The poetic nature of the book is a great vehicle for telling her story, and the authors notes presented at the end provide even greater insight. ( )
  Alangenberg | Nov 30, 2016 |
To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat / Today is Tet, / the first day / of the lunar calendar. / Every Tet / we eat sugary lotus seeds / and glutinous rice cakes. / We wear all new clothes, / even underneath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061962783, Hardcover)

No one would believe me but at times I would choose wartime in Saigon over peacetime in Alabama.

For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, the warmth of her friends close by . . . and the beauty of her very own papaya tree.

But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food, the strange shape of its landscape . . . and the strength of her very own family.

This is the moving story of one girl's year of change, dreams, grief, and healing as she journeys from one country to another, one life to the next.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,778,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible