Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Thanhha Lai

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Inside Out and Back Again
Authors:Thanhha Lai
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:Newberry Award, young girl, Vietnam, bully

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2011)

I gave this a 3 and a month later I'm still thinking about it, so I change my rating. While the poetry was not poignant enough to merit a 4, I have to say that the fact that I still think about what I learned makes it a very worthwhile book. Here's what I remember the most: the food. The narrator describes how things taste to her family (from Vietnam) and how food is prepared differently, at first, it seemed, to be descriptive, but later the significance is how she then reacts to American food. I keep thinking about the imagery of her first American fried chicken. It has opened my eyes to differences in people's tastes, preferences, expectations, and how the same food can be delicious to me and not someone else. I no longer think my husband is crazy for not liking my cooking. There. Impact. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
ADD, POE
  prichter | Aug 4, 2015 |
Recommended by: Jennifer
  Yvonne_Chesak | Jul 31, 2015 |
National Book Award for Young People's Literature (2011), Newbery Honor (2012), Jane Addams Children's Book Award Nominee for Older Children (2012), Washington State Sasquatch Award Nominee (2014), NCBLA - Notable Children's Books in the English Language Arts (2012)
  Liz_Haggerty | Jul 28, 2015 |
Multi-awards ( )
  nickietravis | Jul 26, 2015 |
To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat / Today is Tet, / the first day / of the lunar calendar. / Every Tet / we eat sugary lotus seeds / and glutinous rice cakes. / We wear all new clothes, / even underneath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061962783, Hardcover)

No one would believe me but at times I would choose wartime in Saigon over peacetime in Alabama.

For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, the warmth of her friends close by . . . and the beauty of her very own papaya tree.

But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food, the strange shape of its landscape . . . and the strength of her very own family.

This is the moving story of one girl's year of change, dreams, grief, and healing as she journeys from one country to another, one life to the next.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible