Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Thanhha Lai

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Inside Out and Back Again
Authors:Thanhha Lai
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:Newberry Award, young girl, Vietnam, bully

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2011)

Ha is a young girl that is forced to relocate from her home in Saigon, Vietnam to Alabama during the Vietnam War. Her father left to fight in the war nine years earlier and while they hope and wait for him to return Ha hopes that he can find them in America. Ha struggles to find a source of happiness while she integrates into a school and is confronted with bullies and going from being smart to feeling dumb. Beautifully written with a compelling perspective of a time in history fraught with turmoil.
  bradfordtam | Jul 18, 2016 |
A story told in prose. Ha has grown up in Vietnam, but suddenly, with the fall of Saigon, the 10 year old and her family must flee. They are refugees in America, and must learn English and adapt to the culture to make a new home.
  rachel.mcconville | Jul 6, 2016 |
Told in free verse, "Inside Out and Back Again" beautifully provides a first person account of a year in the life of 10-year-old Ha. The year is 1975 and Ha's family in Saigon experiences the effects of the withdrawal of US troops from Viet Nam. As conditions worsen, the family makes the difficult decision to leave the country. The book is divided into four parts, each depicting a different part of the family's courageous and emotional journey as refugees seeking safety and a fresh start in a new homeland. ( )
  tina_w | Jun 30, 2016 |
The prose of this book is truly beautiful. This would be a great book to use for a historical fiction lesson. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jun 28, 2016 |
Well phooey.  When I transferred my reviews to Leafmarks, apparently this one was lost.  As I recall, I found it a little too simplistic, and the poetry a little awkward, for me.  But then, I've read several thousands of books and I tend to be overly fussy.  I still feel that this is a worthy and interesting book and I do recommend it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat / Today is Tet, / the first day / of the lunar calendar. / Every Tet / we eat sugary lotus seeds / and glutinous rice cakes. / We wear all new clothes, / even underneath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061962783, Hardcover)

No one would believe me but at times I would choose wartime in Saigon over peacetime in Alabama.

For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, the warmth of her friends close by . . . and the beauty of her very own papaya tree.

But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food, the strange shape of its landscape . . . and the strength of her very own family.

This is the moving story of one girl's year of change, dreams, grief, and healing as she journeys from one country to another, one life to the next.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,512,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible