Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Thanhha Lai

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Inside Out and Back Again
Authors:Thanhha Lai
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:Newberry Award, young girl, Vietnam, bully

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2011)

The story of a family fleeing Vietnam during the war, told in verse. I found both of these things very unique, especially for the target age.

The refugee type story is universal, spreading itself through history and yet the emotion of it is captured well enough here to make the reader feel the uniqueness of this particular situation, in this point in time. It is important to feel the emotion and struggle of the characters in order to best understand them and their behaviors as their stories progress, and you certainly can do that here.

A must have for young lovers of history and for the emotional story of family and togetherness. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 24, 2017 |
Beautiful poems describe Ha, a young girl, her family, and refugee experience in the United States during the Vietnam War. A great book for a glimpse into the refugee experience, examples of resilience, and reflection on youth identity. ( )
  rebeccaperez | May 1, 2017 |
This is an amazing story about a little girl who's family is forced to leave Saigon because of the Vietnam war. They board a boat and head for America and relocate to Alabama. This story is based on the authors own life as a refugee. This is a wonderful multicultural book that helps bring to light the life of a refugee child and her hope of a better life in America. This book is written in beautiful verse. I would use this book to address the topic of refugees and immigration with my students as a part of literature circles. I think this book would also be great addition to a poetry unit and could inspire students to write their own stories in poetry form.
  kristenbnoble | Apr 23, 2017 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because it was based on true accounts of a family enduring through a major struggle in their lives. But I did not enjoy how the book was structured with the poem format. I believe the main message of this book is hope, because throughout the pages the main character may feel upset about certain things, but she never loses hope in her family and their strong bond. The language is descriptive, but it is also convoluted and hard to follow. The writing is engaging and flows well, but it is not paced well and I found myself continually drifting away from the reading. The characters are believable and well-developed. The point of view is mainly third person, but it has some elements of first person as well. The plot is unorganized and it bounces all over the place, but there is suspense, conflict and tension. There are no illustrations, but I feel as though illustrations would help to engage the reader, even though it is a chapter book. The story pushes readers to broaden their perspectives and think about tough issues, such as immigration. ( )
  KMG2002 | Apr 22, 2017 |
This is a story the story of Ha, a girl who lives in Vietnam right before the communists take over the country. The story is made up of poems written like journal entries by Ha. It shows the struggles that her family goes through, and how they handle all of the changes in their life, that happens within a year for Ha.
I would classify this book as a modern fiction, because the story happens within 30 years. I would also consider it realistic fiction because she is set in a completely realistic setting.
I would read this to 5th grade and older as it has hard content for younger students.
  Michaiah.Annear | Apr 11, 2017 |
To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat / Today is Tet, / the first day / of the lunar calendar. / Every Tet / we eat sugary lotus seeds / and glutinous rice cakes. / We wear all new clothes, / even underneath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061962783, Hardcover)

No one would believe me but at times I would choose wartime in Saigon over peacetime in Alabama.

For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, the warmth of her friends close by . . . and the beauty of her very own papaya tree.

But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food, the strange shape of its landscape . . . and the strength of her very own family.

This is the moving story of one girl's year of change, dreams, grief, and healing as she journeys from one country to another, one life to the next.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible