Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Thanhha Lai

1,2001486,680 (4.25)64
Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Inside Out and Back Again
Authors:Thanhha Lai
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:Newberry Award, young girl, Vietnam, bully

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2011)

This is a wonderful and simple book told from a girl's perspective who comes to America from Vietnam. I could use it to discuss perspective, culture, and self-discovery among hardship. It is also a good way to talk about accepting others that are different from you, as Ha faced a lot of discrimination in school.
  zkstonem | May 12, 2015 |
Inside Out and Back Again discusses the journey of a girl that has to move to an unfamiliar place. She has to move to America because the Vietnam War was reaching her home in Saigon. She has to start over and leave her frustration behind to cope with her new situation. This book was very unique because it is written in poem form. One activity the students can do is research about the Vietnam War and write their own poem using that subject. ( )
  sottallah | May 6, 2015 |
I did not like this book for one main reason. The writing was in poetry form. I am not one who likes poetry and finds it hard to read poetry. For example, each line isn’t a complete sentence, therefore, I feel like I am reading incomplete thoughts. The main message of the book was language and communication. Vietnamese and English are two completely different languages. ( )
  kmcpha3 | May 4, 2015 |
This story while sad was very inspiring. Ha is originally from Vietnam, but must move to the US because of the war. As well her father has been missing for some time. In the US Ha continuously wishes she were back in Vietnam even though the war is going on because it is still better there than the US. Ha has trouble adjusting to life in the US, but by the end of the novel she is stating to grow more at peace with living here, even if it is not Vietnam.

Teaching Ideas: vietnam war, poetry lesson
  aehunter | May 4, 2015 |
The central message of this story is to overcome challenges, and do not be afraid to be who you are. I had mixed feelings about this book. First, I liked the plot of the story. I enjoyed reading about the hardships that Kim Ha and her family had to overcome in their new life. Her family and she had to move from Vietnam to Alabama without knowing whether or not her father was dead or alive. They stood out, and were ridiculed for not “fitting in.” In addition, I like how the author used descriptive language to help the reader develop a vivid image of the various events that occurred throughout the story. However, I did not like that this book was written in poems. Although each poem flowed well, and was written beautifully, I did not like reading the poems like a regular book. To me, reading a new poem for every page, made the story seem choppy. I found it difficult to keep track of the different events and characters throughout the story. ( )
  Tcochr1 | May 2, 2015 |
To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat / Today is Tet, / the first day / of the lunar calendar. / Every Tet / we eat sugary lotus seeds / and glutinous rice cakes. / We wear all new clothes, / even underneath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061962783, Hardcover)

No one would believe me but at times I would choose wartime in Saigon over peacetime in Alabama.

For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, the warmth of her friends close by . . . and the beauty of her very own papaya tree.

But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food, the strange shape of its landscape . . . and the strength of her very own family.

This is the moving story of one girl's year of change, dreams, grief, and healing as she journeys from one country to another, one life to the next.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:28 -0400)

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,853,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible