Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Thanhha Lai

1,3922035,459 (4.22)68
Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Inside Out and Back Again
Authors:Thanhha Lai
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:Newberry Award, young girl, Vietnam, bully

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2011)

This book has a quiet, simple power that can break your heart. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Such an empowering story of understanding a different culture and what some children go thru in life. A good example of bulling and the pain it causes others. There are no illustrated pages, but it is written in short poem like pages making an easy read with so much meaning and give me a perspective of how easy my childhood was compared to Kim Ha's life and all she went through as a child.I feel a third grader could read this book as well as an adult and get so much out of it History, Culture, Values, Humanity, Society, and understand that we have no understanding unless we are willing to accept difference and investigate truths. Love this book and understand why it has gotten so many awards. ( )
  Malynda2 | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is such a beautifully told, moving story from a unique point of view. I loved the voice of Ha, the main character. She is such a vibrant, colorful character and I think many children would connect with her. I loved the way that she grew and changed over the course of the story, learning from her experiences, but still keeping her spirit. The story, told in verse, is very effective. In the author's note, I read about how she was unsure about how to tell Ha's story at first. She finally decided to write in verse because it was similar to the way Vietnamese is spoken, and it allowed Ha's voice to come out in the story.

Curricular connections: great for a unit on refugees or human migration (grade 5); a study of the Vietnam War. ( )
  linnea_simon | Jan 30, 2016 |
Wonderful read! Written entirely in verse or poems, follows the story of a young girl and her family as they relocate from Saigon to Alabama. We learn about the hardships they endured as they learned English and dealt with racism. I laughed and felt sad as I read this emotional and heartfelt story based on the author's real life experience. A great book to recommend to teens and tweens of different cultures. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
A look into what it was like for a Vietnamese immigrant to come into the USA. This shows the struggles and triumphs of assimilation. ( )
  zcurlach | Jan 28, 2016 |
To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat / Today is Tet, / the first day / of the lunar calendar. / Every Tet / we eat sugary lotus seeds / and glutinous rice cakes. / We wear all new clothes, / even underneath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061962783, Hardcover)

No one would believe me but at times I would choose wartime in Saigon over peacetime in Alabama.

For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, the warmth of her friends close by . . . and the beauty of her very own papaya tree.

But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food, the strange shape of its landscape . . . and the strength of her very own family.

This is the moving story of one girl's year of change, dreams, grief, and healing as she journeys from one country to another, one life to the next.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible