Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Thanhha Lai

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Inside Out and Back Again
Authors:Thanhha Lai
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:Newberry Award, young girl, Vietnam, bully

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2011)

Genre: Multicultural
Media: Text (digital)
Age Appropriateness: Middle school, High school
Review: This is a book about a family who flies Vietnam due to the Fall of Siagon. They flea Vietnam via a boat, and there were some minor complications that happened on the boat ride to America, but they ended up making it to Alabama and getting united with their sponsor family. When they got all settled into their home in Alabama the kids all went to school and the mom found a job. There were some complications at school due to kids not being accepting but in the end the kids all accepted the new family.
Critique: This is a good multicultural book because it is a book about a family from Vietnam that moves to Alabama. This book is in the perspective of the daughter so it makes you feel invested, and the book is not biased because it is talking about Vietnamese culture from a girl who is in that culture. This is also a good multicultural book because the characters are well rounded.
  Kmacuk15 | Mar 23, 2017 |
This book is about Ha, a girl who lived through the Vietnam war and emigrated to America. It details her life through poetry as she tries to adjust to American life. This book is a good example of narrative poetry because it is a story written in verse that evokes emotion and shares the poet's emotions and feelings with us.
  Khegge15 | Mar 21, 2017 |
I absolutely loved this book. The character, Ha, is a girl escaping war torn Vietnam during the Vietnam war. This book covers her journey and all the people and experiences she has along the way. Her story includes tales of her family and how she made it from Vietnam to America. The book is written in a poetic type of verse which adds to the character of the story. She is ten years old and has a lifetime of experience within a short amount of time. This book would be great for showing a different style of writing, teaching about the Vietnam War from a different perspective and to just read for fun as a class. A captivating story with diverse characters that will tug at your heartstrings and open your eyes to a time in history from a new perspective. ( )
  sunshinedrennon | Mar 20, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book told by a 10-year-old Vietnamese girl, Ha, who, along with her family, had to flee Saigon in 1975 during the Vietnam War. Her family decided to go to America where they had to have a sponsor. A man from Alabama (much to his wife's chagrin!) chose to sponsor the whole family, even though he really only wanted a young man to work for him.
Ha tells of the difficulties that she has at school and how the community has so much trouble accepting them. However, as time goes by, they all begin to acclimate to their situations and learn to enjoy life again.
This book is recommended for Grades 4-8, and I can see that it would be very informative (It informed me!). And it reads very fast because it is written in verse (I thought that might throw me off at first but it certainly did not.) It is also based on the author's own experience of coming to America from Vietnam and living in Alabama. I highly recommend this book for any age reader! :) ( )
  TerriS | Mar 10, 2017 |
I like this book for two reasons. The point of view is the first reason I like this book. I like how the point of view is from a child's perspective during the Vietnam war. This point of view gives an innocence to the book that can not be achieved by making the main character an adult. The innocence makes the story seem more realistic. Another reason why I like this book is because the language also contributes to the believability of the story. The author uses the language of a typical ten-year-old girl, which makes the story very believable because the point of view is from a ten-year-olds perspective. One reason I don't like this book is because at times I thought the plot seemed slow or boring. I wasn't feeling much suspense or tension through out the book. I felt a little suspense when Ha' and her family were in Vietnam and on the ship to America, but after they arrived in America, I didn't feel any suspense in the plot. The big idea of the book is the importance of family and how family can keep the hope for a better life alive. Moving to a new place, where people do not speak the same language as you, can be very frightening. Sticking close by family members can make the transition less frightening. Ha', the main character, has a hard time when she first comes to America, but with the help of family and good people, life in America is not so bad for her. ( )
  hhilse1 | Feb 27, 2017 |

To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat / Today is Tet, / the first day / of the lunar calendar. / Every Tet / we eat sugary lotus seeds / and glutinous rice cakes. / We wear all new clothes, / even underneath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061962783, Hardcover)

No one would believe me but at times I would choose wartime in Saigon over peacetime in Alabama.

For all the ten years of her life, Hà has only known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, the warmth of her friends close by . . . and the beauty of her very own papaya tree.

But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope. In America, Hà discovers the foreign world of Alabama: the coldness of its strangers, the dullness of its food, the strange shape of its landscape . . . and the strength of her very own family.

This is the moving story of one girl's year of change, dreams, grief, and healing as she journeys from one country to another, one life to the next.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,283,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible