Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo

Just Being Audrey (2011)

by Margaret Cardillo

Other authors: Julia Denos (Illustrator)

1985989,145 (4.38)4

Audrey wanted to be a famous ballerina, but when WWII broke out, her family had to move to Holland. After the war, they moved to London and decided to be an actor. She landed a road on Broadway that brought her to New York. She went on many journeys throughout her life that lead her to success and becoming a mother. Audrey learned early in her life that kindness is one of the most important aspects of a human. She inspired many people throughout her years and I think she will inspire anyone who reads this book. Students can take away a great lesson from this book and that is simply to be kind, because it can take you a long way. ( )
  GrantHebert | Mar 19, 2019 |
The story of the life of Audrey Hepburn. Going down the path through her childhood to becoming a famous actress. As we read we follow her dream of wanting to become a dancer. When this doesn't work out she looks into acting. Being found in France she moves to the United States and a new dream is fulfilled. She became a well known actress that also influences many other aspects in the world. We can see while reading the well sketched illustrations that show details of her story. ( )
  KerriS98 | Mar 12, 2019 |
This amazing book depicts the life of Audrey Hepburn. These beautiful illustrations show the struggles Audrey had as a child during WWII, then shows how she followed after her dream of singing, acting, and dancing. The best part is that the book goes beyond her Hollywood days and when she participated in different charities to help children around the world. This book inspires students that you can seek the spotlight but still remain grounded and humble. ( )
  ValRodriguez | Jan 29, 2019 |
This biography is about the life and accomplishments of the actress Audrey Hepburn. Audrey was significant through her rising fame as an actress and also her work as a Goodwill Ambassador. Audrey's sense of fashion has also inspired future generations and still remain relevant in today's fashion world. I learned that Audrey wanted to be a ballerina before anything else. I also learned about how her early childhood was effected by world war 2. I had no idea she had experienced such desperate living because of the Nazi troops marching into her country. I was very happy to learn about Audrey's work towards gaining funding for the UNICEF. Audrey was much more than an actress. Audrey's determined work ethic enabled her to be successful toward anything she put her mind towards and also help the people around her. The organization of this book was simple and straightforward. Most of it was organized to have each illustration take up both pages and portray the main points covered in the text of those pages. The book had a nice chronological sense to it. I could see Audrey changing little by little as her life changed and she grew older. These subtle differences in the her appearances made the illustrations very effective in portraying her feelings and attitudes towards the events in her life. After reading this book, I am inspired to watch more of Audrey's films and take a closer look into her life and accomplishments. ( )
  BeauLou | Nov 3, 2018 |
When I think of Audrey Hepburn, I think of that iconic photo of her in that black dress and pearls (the picture from Breakfast at Tiffany's). Reading this biography gave a different perspective on Hepburn's life. Author Cardillo writes about Hepburn's childhood through WWII, her kindness towards others, and most importantly Cardillo writes about Audrey's life outside of Hollywood. The structure of this biography was amazing, and the illustrations made this book that much more fun for me. ( )
  ctran1 | Oct 25, 2018 |

Margaret Cardilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Denos, JuliaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Short biography of actress Audrey Hepburn. Includes author's note, illustrator's note and timeline.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Margaret Cardillo's book Just Being Audrey was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,505,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible