Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo

Just Being Audrey (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Margaret Cardillo, Julia Denos (Illustrator)

Member:Mols1
Title:Just Being Audrey
Authors:Margaret Cardillo
Other authors:Julia Denos (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2011), Hardcover, 32 pages

Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo (2011)

Summary:
This is a charming biography introducing Audrey Hepburn to the younger generation. As a young child Audrey grew up in a Nazi occupied Europe. She learns early on that kindness is the creates characteristic of a person. She wanted to be a prima ballerina and despite all the ridicule for being too tall to do ballet, she continued to dance. But when she figures out her dream of being the prima ballerina was not going to be a reality, Audrey then decided to try acting instead. She excelled and was one of the greatest actresses in the movie industry.

Personal Reaction:
I thought this was a good read. Audrey's story teaches young girls to accept their differences from others, to work hard for what they wanted, and to do the best they can. Even if you face troubles on the way to making your dream become a reality, keep pushing forward.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Synonym match worksheet. Will have a list of different words from the text and students must match the word to the correct synonym.
2. Literature circles-in pairs discuss with classmates the text and will the write an imaginary interview on the different stages of Audrey Hepburn's life.
  MissSuzieQ | Apr 22, 2014 |
Just Being Audrey is one of the most adorable books I've seen. The paintings of Audrey Hepburn are beautiful. The book goes through Audrey as a young child through adult hood when she moved to New York to become an actress. I recommend this book to 3-5 grades. ( )
  aloupe | Apr 21, 2014 |
Summary: This is the story of the famous actress, Audrey Hepburn. While it is not as in depth as a full biography, this book gives a wonderful overview of what made Audrey who she was and the most important moments of her life.

Personal Reaction: All I ever knew about Audrey Hepburn was that she was beautiful actress. I never knew that she survived WWII, or even that she wasn't American. I know so much more about her and I respect her more than ever now, which is much more than I could do before reading this book.

Classroom Extensions:
1. Use this book as an introduction to timelines. Have students break into groups and create a timeline of Audrey's life as seen in the book. They should include anything they find important to her life.

2. Have students find quotes from Audrey, outside of lines in movies. Have them try to connect her quotes to her life. Why do you think she says this? What in her life do you think made her think this way? She has so many amazing quotes that students may be able to find more than one each!
  ElissaBroadaway | Apr 20, 2014 |
Audience: 3-5th grade
Just being Audrey is a great book about the actress Audrey Hepburn. I immediately loved this book since I personally love her style and demeanor.
It is a good way to introduce a famous actress to young children. It is a good biography because it covers all aspects of her life and also gives importance to her personal values not just fame and money. I will read it to 3-5th graders who will be able to appreciate her movies, fashion and also how she affected children in a positive manner. ( )
  ShantiR | Apr 15, 2014 |
Summary:
Just Being Audrey is the story about Audrey Hepburn. It tells about how she wanted to be a ballerina until World War II broke out. Audrey's family had to move. Once the war was over, she decided to try acting, and that is what made her famous. She was kind, and she worked harder than any actress.

Personal Reaction:
Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my most favorite movies so when I saw this book, I just knew that I had to read it. The illustrations were amazing in this book.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In my classroom, I could use this book to teach my students the importance of being kind.
2. In my classroom, I could use this book to teach my students that even if they aren't good at something, that doesn't mean that they aren't good at something else.
  shellbierose | Apr 7, 2014 |

Short biography of actress Audrey Hepburn. Includes author's note, illustrator's note and timeline.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,232,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible