Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo

Just Being Audrey (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Margaret Cardillo, Julia Denos (Illustrator)

Member:Mols1
Title:Just Being Audrey
Authors:Margaret Cardillo
Other authors:Julia Denos (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2011), Hardcover, 32 pages

Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo (2011)

This book was very interesting to read for many reasons. First, the information the author included about Audrey Hepburn was incredible. For example, the author showcases the struggles she went through quite well included her the rough years during WWII where she and forty other people hid in a small house with no heat and little food. Second, the illustrations are breathtaking. For example, the illustrator did a wonderful job showcasing her beauty and strength with colorful drawn pictures. I think the overall message of this book is to inform readers about Audrey Hepburn's hard but full life and that any dream is capable of happening if one perseveres through the hard times. ( )
  Kelsey_Barrell | Apr 19, 2015 |
I really loved the art style in this book. I even learned a bunch of things about Audrey Hepburn that I never knew before. I never knew the work she had done with UNICEF. Also I didn't know she lived in a Nazi occupied area. So much that I didn't know. It just reinforces my love for an amazing actress and person. ( )
  chrisriggleman | Apr 15, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is about the life of Audrey Hepburn. It tells the story of how life was for Audrey from a young girl who hid during WWII to the famous actress and humanitarian most of us remember her as today. It gave some insight to her personality as well as some of the hobbies she enjoyed throughout her life.

My Personal Reaction:
I really liked this book because it gave more details about Audrey Hepburn's life life than I initially knew. It made me like her even more and see her as more than just an actor when it mentioned the humanitarian works she did as well as the struggles she grew up with. I think this would be a good book to teach children that anything is possible no matter the circumstance and that if they just work hard and believe in themselves, they can do anything.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. As a class, we could each research an interesting fact about Audrey Hepburn or any other famous person and make a collaborative timeline with each fact.
2. We could do a creative write and write a biography about our self and the life we want to have. ( )
  JacquelynTorres | Apr 14, 2015 |
I loved this biography on the icon, Audrey Hepburn. The first reason is because of the colorful illustrations that really captured all aspects of Audrey and enhanced the story of her life. For example, one page is completely taken over by illustrations of Audrey in a white tutu and black leotard, dancing as a ballerina, as that was one of her aspirations. I also really liked the writing style, as the author writes about Audrey as if she had known everything about her personally. For example, the author wrote, “New York was very different from the countryside. But Audrey rehearsed so much, she hardly noticed.” This writing style gives me a more personal feel, rather than just reading about facts of Audrey’s life. Lastly, I especially liked the message of the book- to embrace your individuality and follow your dreams. ( )
  akoches | Mar 23, 2015 |
This was a beautifully illustrated biography of Audrey Hepburn. As much as I had admired her work in film, I was unaware of what she had experienced as a child during World War II and her later work with UNICEF and the United Nations. I love the theme of perseverance and staying true to oneself. I also loved how the author focused on her qualities as a good human being, more so than her beauty or success as an actress. This would be a great book to give a child to read who is maybe struggling with not being "traditionally" attractive. It would also be a good book to talk about being comfortable in your own skin.
Reading Level: 2.8 Interest Level: K-3 ( )
  TaraKennedy | Mar 12, 2015 |

Short biography of actress Audrey Hepburn. Includes author's note, illustrator's note and timeline.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,281,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible