Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo

Just Being Audrey (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Margaret Cardillo, Julia Denos (Illustrator)

Member:Mols1
Title:Just Being Audrey
Authors:Margaret Cardillo
Other authors:Julia Denos (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2011), Hardcover, 32 pages

Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo (2011)

I really enjoyed this book about Audrey Hepburn. My favorite thing in the book was a quote Audrey had on the very first page, "I never think about myself as an icon…I just do my thing." What an interesting person she is. She doesn't think of herself as a famous actress, icon, or let the fame get to her head, she stays true to herself and lives her life just as a normal person would. I never realized Audrey was a young girl during World War II and the things she had to go through at such a young age, but I was happy to find out her and her mother were able to move to London when the war ended and she was able to pursue a career as an actress. She started off with little money, only having a few items of clothes to wear, but she would wear those few items in different ways to make it into twenty different outfits. She never took anything for granted and when she realized her dreams of becoming a dancer weren't going to come true, she started acting and moved to New York City. She worked harder than anyone else, starred in famous movies including "Roman Holiday" which she even won an Oscar for her performance. Audrey played many different roles and went through transformations inside and out, but in real life Audrey stayed true to herself and knew exactly where she came from. Not only was this a good biography of Audrey Hepburn, but the pictures in the book were amazing. The pictures really caught my eyes and drew me even more into the book. ( )
  lcrosby | Jan 19, 2016 |
"I never think about myself as an icon... I just do my thing" - Audrey Hepburn. Growing up, Audrey's life was not always glamorous. Other children made fun of her appearance, but that did not stop her dream of wanting to be a ballerina. During World War II, her family hid in the country and Audrey continued to practice her ballet routines. As she grew older, Audrey realized her dream of becoming a ballerina was not going to become a reality, so she decided to try acting. Not long after, Audrey's personality, kindness, and style led her to become America's Sweetheart. Throughout her life, she would expand her kindness by helping children and become the Goodwill Ambassador of UNICEF. The colorful illustrations throughout the book capture Audrey's personality and enhances the story of her life. A great book to learn about the classic actress. ( )
  afrught | Jan 14, 2016 |
Not only is this a really great biography of Audrey Hepburn, it's a great children's picture book as well. The paintings have a bit of a haze to them that in my mind fits Audrey well. Audrey Hepburn's life wasn't easy but she worked hard and was a genuinely nice person and things worked well for her. I think it's important for kids to see that hard work and niceness can pay off. ( )

Margaret Cardilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Denos, JuliaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Short biography of actress Audrey Hepburn. Includes author's note, illustrator's note and timeline.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,036,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible