It Looked Better on the Model: Epic Tales of…

It Looked Better on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy (2011)

by Laurie Notaro

Pretty funny book. I had fun listening to it while I worked. I think people were wondering why I was laughing sometimes. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy by Laurie Notaro

★★★★★ ♥

I’ve pretty much read every Laurie Notaro book, and as usual, this one did not disappoint in the least. In fact, I would say that this is one of my favorite by her. She is hilarious. If you enjoy Jen Lancaster, this is no way you can’t enjoy Notaro and vise versa.

The situations that Laurie gets herself into are too funny, I found myself laughing on several occasions while reading this book. They are also situations that one can see themselves getting into. For the most part, they aren’t over top, making her very relatable. I would recommend this for anyone looking for some humor. It’s a fun, quick read. I know I had trouble putting it down. I was even disappointed that sleep finally took over at several points (being super sick and on sleepy meds does that) because it meant putting down the book. I look forward to her next book being released this coming week (on 5/7/2013).
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Couldn't get into the stories; the humor's a bit too droll for my taste. The author does have a keen observational sense. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
A series of essays about humorous events in the authors life. there isn't any real connection between the essays. i found most of the essays to be mildly amusing. The only one i found to be really funny involved translating her dogs barks. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
I must not have the same sense of humor as the people who gave it 4 stars. If you like books like; Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman by Lisa Scottoline or I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron ( both of which I loved!) I don't think you will enjoy miss Notaro's humor. I only laughed hard while reading 1 chapter and after trying to like this book I had to gave up on chapter 7. It was just not my kind of writing. ( )
  theeccentriclady | Sep 11, 2014 |
To Heather, Haley, Ryan, and Hilary
Love, love, love
The shirt was so pretty.

Everyone's favorite Idiot Girl, Laurie Notaro, is just trying to find the right fit, whether it's in the adorable blouse that looks charming on the mannequin but leaves her in a literal bind or in her neighborhood after she's shamefully exposed at a holiday party by delivering a low-quality rendition of "Jingle Bells." Notaro makes misstep after riotous misstep as she tries (and catastrophically fails) to gain some ground---delightfully whipping up butter-laden cupcakes for the local vegan kids, finding herself banned from the post office for wanting too many two-cent stamps ("The post-office lady looked at me like I had just asked her if she wanted to buy my sex tape"), and discovering what appears to be a corpse on her front lawn seconds before her sister is due to visit ("I had approximately three to four minutes to move the carcass from my yard into my neighbors' yard so my sister would think it was their dead person"). She shares tales of marriage and family, including stories about the dog-bark translator that deciphers Notaro's and her husband's own "woofs" a little too accurately, the emails from her mother with "FWD" in the subject line ("which in email code means Forecasting World Destruction"), and the dead-of-night shopping sprees and Devil Dog-devouring monkeyshines of a creature known as "Ambien Laurie." At every turn, Notaro's pluck and irresistible candor sets the New York Times best-selling author on a journey that's laugh-out-loud funny and utterly unforgettable.

Focuses on the author's haphazard efforts to fit into her ultra-liberal Oregon community, an endeavor marked by everything from stolen trees and a ban from the post office to dental implants and closed neighborhood parties.

173 wanted1 pay5 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,259,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible