The Serpent Sea (Vol. 2, The Books of the…

The Serpent Sea (Vol. 2, The Books of the Raksura) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Martha Wells

165872,171 (4.07)1 / 20
Member:starstorm
Title:The Serpent Sea (Vol. 2, The Books of the Raksura)
Authors:Martha Wells
Info:
Tags:Fantasy, series, Kindle, Raksura

The Serpent Sea by Martha Wells (2012)

I definitely enjoyed this book, pretty much for the same reasons I liked nr. 1, The cloud roads: nice world, nice shapeshifters, nice characters. I particularly liked the Raksuran society, where no-one is less because they are female or male, or because they are Arbora or Raksuran, or because they are groundlings or not. So why not more than 3.5 stars? Well, the world is very different from our own, with many different species and habitats. I'm ok with some description where necessary for the story, or when it involves the new Raksuran home, where we can expect to spend quite some time. But on the quest Moon, Jade, Stone and some others undertake after arriving at their new home, there is just a bit too much of it. I liked the conversations and the discoveries, but when you describe loads of strange things, and only one of them is relevant, it distracts from the story. In the second half of the book, there are few long chase scenes, and again there is too much description of where which tunnel or hallway leads and where it ends up. I had some trouble picturing it, and in the end didn't read it as carefully anymore. That actually worked out fine, showing that the detail wasn't necessary. Despite all that, it was still a very nice book, and I love the Raksuran as a species. It's nice to find out about their society through Moon (who lived as a solitary since his childhood). I'll definitely read nr. 3! ( )
1 vote zjakkelien | Sep 1, 2013 |
In this book we will again have an opportunity to enjoy in descriptions of wonderful world that Martha Wells created.
Indigo Court is moving to a new location and of course there will be a couple of problems that will need to be fixed. But when Stone, Moon, Jade & other Raksura join forces you know that there is HEA lurking in the end. :)

My only complaint is that I felt this book a bit more stagnant than [b:The Cloud Roads|9461562|The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)|Martha Wells|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1317017378s/9461562.jpg|14346450], so we do not get to visit as much new places as before. (Yes, I am spoiled by previous book I admit it.)
Also the same can be said for relationship between Moon and Jade. I did not feel any new depth of feeling developing between them, as is normal for a couple.

But if we ignore this, the book was great. As before we have original and interesting world, species, customs... When will you have an opportunity to read a fantasy book where a main hero looks like this?

Moon by Jessica Peffer

I will definitely read the next book when it is published. :) ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
I enjoyed THE CLOUD ROADS without being convinced that I wanted to continue with the series. I jumped on the chance to do an advance review of THE SERPENT SEA because I wanted to find out if Martha Wells could make a fan of me. The answer? Yup. She can, and did. I loved THE SERPENT SEA.

One reviewer described the plot of THE CLOUD ROADS as Moon discovering that he’s been “Cursed by Awesome,” and, at the time, I agreed. Poor baby discovers he’s been born into a high caste, what’s to complain about, right? But in THE SERPENT SEA I began to see what a perfect choice Moon’s position as a consort really is.

Raksura consorts are basically trophy wives. As a consort, Moon has status but no real power. But Moon isn’t content to be pampered and impotent, which means he’s not content to fill the traditional role of consort. He likes to keep busy and he’s a natural authority figure. So, yes, he’s got enough rank to rub elbows with the movers and shakers but he has to earn every bit of authority that comes his way and constantly defend his choice to step outside of his allotted role.

The plot has the Indigo Cloud court on a mission to recover the stolen seed of their mountain-tree. They encounter obstacles on the way to completing their quest, as on the way Moon finds himself trying to play the part of a perfect consort at a foreign court, dealing with a solitary Raksura that reminds him all too much of himself, and battling a power-hungry magician.

As in THE CLOUD ROADS, Wells’ descriptions of the Three Realms’ landscapes kept me enthralled. It’s just such a pleasure to imagine all the little details, from the mountain-tree where the Indigo Cloud court hopes to settle, with its glowing shells and fantastical carvings, to the floating city where most of the novel takes place.

I read THE SERPENT SEA in one sitting, and loved every page. It’s more relaxing than heart-pounding, but I found that I relished every minute I spent with in Wells’ marvelous landscapes among the Raksura. Four very enthusiastic stars.

MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
The premise: ganked from BN.com: Moon, once a solitary wanderer, has become consort to Jade, sister queen of the Indigo Cloud court. Together, they travel with their people on a pair of flying ships in hopes of finding a new home for their colony. Moon finally feels like he's found a tribe where he belongs. But when the travelers reach the ancestral home of Indigo Cloud, shrouded within the trunk of a mountain-sized tree, they discover a blight infecting its core. Nearby they find the remains of the invaders who may be responsible, as well as evidence of a devastating theft. This discovery sends Moon and the hunters of Indigo Cloud on a quest for the heartstone of the tree -- a quest that will lead them far away, across the Serpent Sea.

In this follow-up to The Cloud Roads, Martha Wells returns with a world-spanning odyssey, a mystery that only provokes more questions -- and the adventure of a lifetime.

My Rating: 7 - Good Read

One of the things I really enjoy and appreciate about this series so far is that the world-building itself is unique, and the story and characters grow out of that. If I had any frustrations, it's that Moon embraces his own pride. At times I think he doesn't even want to belong, and while it's a very human emotion (self-sabotage), it can be taxing to read about, because you know he does want to belong, yet he doesn't embrace the lifestyle fully. On one hand, it provides interesting conflict: he provides an outsider's view to his own people, and his reactions often reflect the reader's in terms of whether or not things are screwed up, but sometimes you just want to shake him and tell him to stop being so insecure. But overall, it's an enjoyable series to date, and I intend to keep reading. When I'll pick up The Siren Depths, I don't know, but I look forward to seeing where Wells takes her readers. I would stress that anyone interested in these books start with book one, The Cloud Roads, because the world-building and characterization builds on itself, and it's not quite as satisfying if one were to read The Serpent Sea out of context.

Spoilers, yay or nay?: Yay. If you haven't yet read this book (let alone The Cloud Roads), please do not read the full review in my blog. If spoilers aren't an issue, or if you've read the book, feel free to click the link below to go directly to the full review! As always, comments and discussion are most welcome!

REVIEW: Martha Wells' THE SERPENT SEA

Happy Reading! ( )
  devilwrites | Feb 6, 2013 |
To Janna Silverstein
Moon had been consort to Jade, sister queen of the Indigo Cloud Court, for eleven days and nobody had tried to kill him yet.

Moon, once a solitary wanderer, has become consort to Jade, sister queen of the Indigo Cloud court. Together, they travel with their people on a pair of flying ships in hopes of finding a new home for their colony. Moon finally feels like he's found a tribe where he belongs. But when the travelers reach the ancestral home of Indigo Cloud, shrouded within the trunk of a mountain-sized tree, they discover a blight infecting its core.… (more)

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

29 wanted1 pay2 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible