Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

Chasing Fire

by Nora Roberts (Author)

Recently added byDeanna1826, mentalsmanager, private library, Arenda17, Remer_Library_MN

English (42)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
From Amazon:
Little else in life is as dangerous as fire jumping. But there's also little else as thrilling at least to Rowan Tripp. Being a Missoula smoke jumper is in Rowan's blood: her father is a legend in the field. At this point, returning to the wilds of Montana for the season feels like coming home even with reminders of the partner she lost last season still lingering in the air.

One of the best of this year's rookie crop, Gulliver Curry is a walking contradiction, a hotshot firefighter with a big vocabulary and a winter job at a kids arcade. And though Rowan, as a rule, doesn't hook up with other smoke jumpers, Gull is convinced he can change her mind.

But everything is thrown off balance, when a dark presence lashes out against Rowan, looking to blame someone for last year's tragedy. Rowan knows she can't complicate things with Gull, any distractions in the air or on the ground could be lethal. But if she doesn't find someone she can lean on when the heat gets intense, her life may go down in flames.

My thoughts:
This book has languished in my TBR pile for the past year-and-a-half for a couple of reasons: my shelf was disorganized enough that I forgot about it, and because I sometimes don't feel the desire to read Nora Roberts though she is a favorite of mine.
I think now I missed an intense read with a good mystery, great characters, romance that didn't veer into the bedroom too often and education of what the smoke jumpers do and how they protect our forests. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 30, 2016 |
Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

One of Nora's best. Exciting story about smoke jumpers out of Missoula, Montana fighting fire devils and a killer who seems to be targeting someone in their unit. Has a secondary romantic story surrounding the MC's father. Great book! ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Jun 7, 2016 |
Chasing Fire
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
As a smokejumper, one of the elite group of firefighters who thrive on danger and adrenaline, Rowan Tripp doesn't usually mix business with pleasure but she's about to make an exception with the new rookie, Gull Curry. Soon their new found romance is threatened when they become the target of a madman bent on vengeance.

Review:
Another solid story from Nora Roberts. The characters are engaging and the dialogue and banter is hilarious. The hero is sweet and charming, but the heroine is rather brash and there are one or two scenes in which she is completely unlikeable (she does redeem herself toward the end). The secondary characters could have been better developed and almost become interchangeable.

The smoke jumpers plot is well-researched and gripping but the fire-fighting sections are overly detailed, drawn out and become tedious after a while. It feels as if these descriptions come at the expense of the suspense plot and characterization of the humans in the book.

The story really pulled me in at the outset but as I got past the halfway mark, there was no real suspense or tension either in terms of the romance, which is somewhat lackluster, or the mystery as the identity of the villain is obvious and his motivation, while reasonable and sympathetic, is also quite trite.

While the book is enjoyable and I recommend it for fans of Nora and the romantic suspense genre, it is not one of her best efforts. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Even though I pegged the murderer straightaway, this was an entertaining story. I was in awe of the descriptions of the firefighting, as if NR has been there herself.
On the downside: although I liked the main characters, I found their relationship bordering on boring, it just went too easy. No excitement or twists whatsoever. Maybe it's me, but with most other NR books the relationship doesn't float easily along and there is a certain tension between the hero and heroine. And that is lacking here. In retrospect, IMO it is also lacking a bit in the Brides books and a lot in the Boonsboro books. Some of the magic seems to be missing. But it could just be me... ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
While good, I felt it was a bit too long and got tired of the descriptions of the fires--a subject that makes me uncomfortable. ( )
  punxsygal | Jan 16, 2016 |
AMAZING, simply AMAZING!

This book was like reading three books in one. An action-packed firefighter story, a romance novel and a mystery. I loved every page-turning second of it.

Story One - the action-packed firefighter story: Never before have I wished that I could jump out of a plane. Heck, I don't even really like sitting inside a plane but how I longed to be one of the 'Zulies' and join in for just one smoke-jump. WOW, what a crazy job to have. The vivid imagery that Nora Roberts used made me not only see the flames but feel the heat as they burned through the gorgeous wilderness that the 'jumpers' were fighting so hard to protect. From the moment the siren sounded to the moment they 'killed the dragon', my heart would race and I was fighting the urge to read ahead to make sure everyone made it safely back to base.

Story Two - the romance novel: Just enough 'smut' to make the story good. Budding romances between Rowan and Gull, as well as Lucas 'Iron Man' Tripp and Ella, were something that made any woman long to be seduced again... the start of any relationship is so great and these two do not disappoint. After hours on the battlefield, risking your life, I can only imagine the passion behind some of the romance.

Story Three - the mystery: Totally unexpected. When things start to go awry on base, vandalism, gun shots, and equipment failure, the police are called in and an intense investigation begins. Bodies start showing up during hard-fought fires and fingers are pointed in every direction. Who would put people who already risk their lives in such danger? Who has a grudge that they aren't willing to let go?

Overall, I LOVED this book and was so sad that it ended. An amazing adventure and one that I would recommend to any and all fans of good writing and even better reading!

Popular, prolific Roberts delivers hair-raising smoke-jumping sequences along with the obligatory thrills, sex and a mystery even the greenest armchair sleuths will be able to solve.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

Roberts, NoraAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Montana wildfire fighter Rowan has a strict rule: never get romantically involved with anyone she works with. But the moment she meets new recruit Gull Curry that rule is severely tested. And when it becomes clear that someone blames Rowan for her jump partner's death, and is determined to get revenge, Rowan finds that she needs Gull's help and support more than ever.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,342,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible