Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

Chasing Fire (edition 2012)

by Nora Roberts

Title:Chasing Fire
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Jove (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts (Author)

English (37)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
Potential spoilers. I guessed the bad guy early in the book. I didn't like that. But it was a good story. I loved Lucas and Ella's side story of falling in love. That was great. I liked Rowan and Gull's story too. As far as the narration, I've heard better narrators. ( )
  msphotogirl | Oct 19, 2015 |
Chasing Fire / Nora Roberts
3.5 stars

Rowan is a “fire jumper”: she fights wildfires by dropping from above. Last year, there was a tragedy, and Rowan (among others) is blamed by the woman (Dolly) who was pregnant with the baby of the guy who died. This year, Dolly is still holding a grudge. Meanwhile a new group of recruits has joined those who have been fire jumpers for a while. Gull is among them. He and Ro fall for each other, even though Ro has a strict policy of not getting involved with other jumpers.

It was good, though it took quite a while to get going. It was at least 1/3 of the way in before I got interested. I was listening to the audio, and I found my mind did tend to wander more than I'd have liked, but especially during parts where they were describing the fire (though I would have expected this to be something that might interest me). Overall, though, still a good read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 16, 2015 |
I don't usually read Nora Roberts but I was pleasantly surprised with the one. I picked it up because of the smoker jumper angle (I knew one when I was younger) and wanted to see what NR had to say. Danger, mystery, suspense, romance - they are all here. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
A fun read. Quite gritty. Possibly a bit too much romance. Guessed the villain but all in all a good read. ( )
  jerhogan | Feb 6, 2015 |
Lots of fast paced exciting action in this story about the daring life of fire jumping. I really enjoyed the alpha heroine and hero. I always like when the male pursues the female and the secondary romance was a nice addition. Gull finishes training as a new firefighter when he meets experienced smoke jumper Rowan.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |

This book was like reading three books in one. An action-packed firefighter story, a romance novel and a mystery. I loved every page-turning second of it.

Story One - the action-packed firefighter story: Never before have I wished that I could jump out of a plane. Heck, I don't even really like sitting inside a plane but how I longed to be one of the 'Zulies' and join in for just one smoke-jump. WOW, what a crazy job to have. The vivid imagery that Nora Roberts used made me not only see the flames but feel the heat as they burned through the gorgeous wilderness that the 'jumpers' were fighting so hard to protect. From the moment the siren sounded to the moment they 'killed the dragon', my heart would race and I was fighting the urge to read ahead to make sure everyone made it safely back to base.

Story Two - the romance novel: Just enough 'smut' to make the story good. Budding romances between Rowan and Gull, as well as Lucas 'Iron Man' Tripp and Ella, were something that made any woman long to be seduced again... the start of any relationship is so great and these two do not disappoint. After hours on the battlefield, risking your life, I can only imagine the passion behind some of the romance.

Story Three - the mystery: Totally unexpected. When things start to go awry on base, vandalism, gun shots, and equipment failure, the police are called in and an intense investigation begins. Bodies start showing up during hard-fought fires and fingers are pointed in every direction. Who would put people who already risk their lives in such danger? Who has a grudge that they aren't willing to let go?

Overall, I LOVED this book and was so sad that it ended. An amazing adventure and one that I would recommend to any and all fans of good writing and even better reading!
Popular, prolific Roberts delivers hair-raising smoke-jumping sequences along with the obligatory thrills, sex and a mystery even the greenest armchair sleuths will be able to solve.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

Roberts, NoraAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Montana wildfire fighter Rowan has a strict rule: never get romantically involved with anyone she works with. But the moment she meets new recruit Gull Curry that rule is severely tested. And when it becomes clear that someone blames Rowan for her jump partner's death, and is determined to get revenge, Rowan finds that she needs Gull's help and support more than ever.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,872,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible