Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

Chasing Fire (edition 2012)

by Nora Roberts

Member:EstherShaindel
Title:Chasing Fire
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Jove (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts (Author)

English (32)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
Meh. Characters were very one-dimensional. Story started dragging about 3/4 the way in. Ok, not great. ( )
  AJRyan6of7 | Feb 6, 2014 |
I'm a fan of Nora Roberts for many reasons and one is that I've yet to read a book by her where I didn't enjoy my time spent with her characters. She's got a way of writing friendship and camaraderie that just makes me enjoy hanging out with them as much as they enjoy hanging out with each other. I could just imagine hanging out having a beer with Cards, Dobie, Libby & the rest of the crew.

I liked Rowen & Gull as well but my one criticism would be that Gull is a little too perfect. He's a romance hero so he's rich & handsome but he's also witty & smart & breaks all the records, says all the right things, doesn't get hangovers. I dunno, couldn't he just have an allergy problem, a sinus headache, lactose intolerance, something to make him a bit more human. Although her life is nothing like mine, Rowan was more relateable. She had a temper and didn't take change all that well. But she does kick ass at her job. Another thing I love about Nora - her heroines are incredibly competent and good at what they do.

There's a lot going on in this book. I'll admit that the "bad guy" is pretty easily guessed but I find that true of most RS. For me, as the granddaughter, niece & cousin of fire chiefs in my home town all the fire fighting detail was fascinating but I can see where some could have been shaved off. And the secondary romance between Rowan's dad & Ella was just lovely.

Overall, while it wasn't my favorite book, or even my favorite Nora Roberts, it was an entertaining read, kept the pages turning and featured people I enjoyed hanging out with.

CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
3.5 stars

My thoughts on this book.... ummm, it was OK.

The protagonists are Rowan Tripp and Gulliver Curry. There's also secondary love story with Rowan's dad and the HS Principal. None of these characters moved me in any way. While I enjoyed it while I was reading it, I could easily put it down.

The story follows what happens to the Zulies (Missoula's smoke jumpers) after the death of Jim, Rowan's jump partner. Gulliver is a rookie jumper the season after Jim's death and is immediately attracted to Rowan. A whole host of stuff happens with Rowan at the center of all the mayhem. Rowan, not interested in starting something with a rookie, can't help but fall in love with Gulliver.... he's PERFECT! Rowan, is also PERFECT! She's smart, independent, can drink anyone under the table, loves her father fiercely, and is loved by one and all... except, of course, the crazy female in the book. Gull is smart, ambitious, knows just the thing to say all the time, can read Rowan's every mood correctly and is master sleuth. He's the fastest, smartest, most good looking man in the Zulie camp.

There's a bunch of interesting characters and some very funny moments. Marg (the cook) and Dobie (fellow Zulie rookie) are fun when they're on the scene. Gull and Rowan are cute together. They have some very cute scenes and dialogue. Overall it was a pretty good read, but just very formulaic. The characters are cool, but no one that really stuck with me. I continue to enjoy NR, but I'm not LOVING her like I used to. I'm glad I read it, but I doubt that I'll be re-reading this one. ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
chasing fire by nora roberts
love to learn about other careers=smoke jumping. sounds so dangerous but at the same time something you'd get an extreme adrenaline rush doing.
ah all the romances from the many in the group. very interesting twist at the end to discover who was setting the files and killing others - never
saw that ending but it fit perfectly. book bout not only the bad things about fire but the other side of fire.
Nora never disappoints in any tale she tells, rate this a 5 out of 5. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
This was an okay read, but not fantastic. I found myself zoning out more than I usually do (listened to the audio, which was decently done, so it wasn't that aspect of the book) during this one--nothing I could really put my finger on is wrong with it, it just wasn't the on-edge-of-my-seat-read I had expected. I've never read Nora Roberts before, and though I wouldn't refuse to read another, I won't be in a huge hurry to based on this one. (I know, I know--she's supposed to be the queen--but this one just didn't do it for me.) ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
AMAZING, simply AMAZING!

This book was like reading three books in one. An action-packed firefighter story, a romance novel and a mystery. I loved every page-turning second of it.

Story One - the action-packed firefighter story: Never before have I wished that I could jump out of a plane. Heck, I don't even really like sitting inside a plane but how I longed to be one of the 'Zulies' and join in for just one smoke-jump. WOW, what a crazy job to have. The vivid imagery that Nora Roberts used made me not only see the flames but feel the heat as they burned through the gorgeous wilderness that the 'jumpers' were fighting so hard to protect. From the moment the siren sounded to the moment they 'killed the dragon', my heart would race and I was fighting the urge to read ahead to make sure everyone made it safely back to base.

Story Two - the romance novel: Just enough 'smut' to make the story good. Budding romances between Rowan and Gull, as well as Lucas 'Iron Man' Tripp and Ella, were something that made any woman long to be seduced again... the start of any relationship is so great and these two do not disappoint. After hours on the battlefield, risking your life, I can only imagine the passion behind some of the romance.

Story Three - the mystery: Totally unexpected. When things start to go awry on base, vandalism, gun shots, and equipment failure, the police are called in and an intense investigation begins. Bodies start showing up during hard-fought fires and fingers are pointed in every direction. Who would put people who already risk their lives in such danger? Who has a grudge that they aren't willing to let go?

Overall, I LOVED this book and was so sad that it ended. An amazing adventure and one that I would recommend to any and all fans of good writing and even better reading!

Popular, prolific Roberts delivers hair-raising smoke-jumping sequences along with the obligatory thrills, sex and a mystery even the greenest armchair sleuths will be able to solve.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

Roberts, NoraAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Montana wildfire fighter Rowan has a strict rule: never get romantically involved with anyone she works with. But the moment she meets new recruit Gull Curry that rule is severely tested. And when it becomes clear that someone blames Rowan for her jump partner's death, and is determined to get revenge, Rowan finds that she needs Gull's help and support more than ever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible