The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs (Narrator)

Member:DeadBilly
Title:The Wee Free Men
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Stephen Briggs (Narrator)
Info:HarperChildren's Audio (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (2003)

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "Utensile Strength".)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "The Prince of Ebon Rih".)

English (146)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (152)
This was marketed as a Discworld novel for 'younger readers,' but I
found the story and style to be no more (or less) juvenile than that
of any of Pratchett's other books. It's the 30th Discworld book, and
the first to feature the character Tiffany Aching (although i was
already familiar with her from reading 'Wintersmith' - I've never
tried to read Pratchett in order.)
Nine-year-old Tiffany's baby brother is kidnapped by the Queen of the
Elves - an antagonist who spreads winter where ever she goes. The
brother, Wentworth, is a pain-in-the-butt, continually sticky brat,
but Tiffany is determined to rescue him. It's lucky that Tiffany is
the granddaughter of a witch, and definitely has inherited the talent
to realize her aspirations of becoming one herself. Also on her side,
somewhat mysteriously, she seems to have a horde of miniature Scotmen
- the Nac Mac Feegle. Although the premise is certainly not one we've
never heard before, the talents of Pratchett make the story both
original and hilarious. The tribe of the Nac Mac Feegle (troublemaking
Pictsies!) are definitely one of his best inventions. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the audiobook version of this story. The story was full of magic, comedy and fantasy. The main character was a 9 year old girl named Tiffany. I loved how clever and brave she was throughout the whole story. The author did an excellent job at describing the world that Tiffany lived in and the magical creatures that she encountered. The story moved very quickly and I was sucked in right away. This book is part of the Discworld series but for me this is the first book I've ever read by Terry Pratchett. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
My son has been recommending this to me for some time now, and I finally got around to reading it. Tiffany is awesome and the Nac Mac Feegle are hilarious. I have to admire the nerve of an author who would name a character "Not-as-big-as-Medium-Sized-Jock-but-bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock", then use the entire name repeatedly, and not just as a throwaway joke. I'm in the early stages of my Pratchett journey, but I'm eager to keep going. ( )
  SylviaC | Jan 20, 2016 |
??1/2 rounded up to 3

Ach, this is the story of the hag, a bigjob called Tiffany Aching and how we Wee Free Men helped her defeat the Quin when he took her brother. She couldna do it herself, mind ye, even tho’ she has the First Sight and the Second Thought because at the start of this tale she didna’ ken she was a hag. But she was Sarah Aching’s line and she used her wee brudder as bait, like, so she could hit a monster on the heid with a frying pan, so we knew it were her.

While there were some humorous scenes and lines here, I only almost liked this book. It almost made me want to keep reading it and it almost made me laugh at times. I liked Wyrd Sisters better, and so plan to skip the rest of the Tiffany Aching Series unless someone convinces me that the sequels are better than the first, and will go back to reading other Discworld books when I’m in the mood for Pratchett’s humour.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
I loved this book! It is my first Terry Pratchett book & I will definitely read more of them. It reminded me of writings by Neil Gaiman & Jasper Fforde, both of which I adore! It is about a little girl, Tiffany, who thinks she wants to be a witch (it turns out her grandmother was a witch, so it runs in the family!). And when her baby brother is kidnapped by the evil queen, Tiffany goes to his rescue using her newly realized powers along with the help of Wee Free Men (who are SO funny!). I loved it and would highly recommend it -- it would be really fun to read along with your children/grandchildren! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibby, PaulIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,146,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible