The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs (Narrator)

Member:DeadBilly
Title:The Wee Free Men
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Stephen Briggs (Narrator)
Info:HarperChildren's Audio (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (2003)

Recently added bydheijl, private library, teaandblankets, eefa, AliceBarnard, SIM42, Shadowhunter15, -Silje-, Longtian
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "Utensile Strength".)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "The Prince of Ebon Rih".)

English (154)  German (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (161)
I want to be Tiffany Aching when I grow up.

She is smart, outspoken, and brave with a selfishness that reads more like undying loyalty. In short, she is everything that kid me would have idolized. Did I mention that she wants to be a witch? Or that she's friends with the coolest pictsies around?

I loved this book and highly recommend it to everyone young, old, female, or male and everyone else in between. So, go pick up a copy, lose yourself in the Chalk, and have loads of fun mimicking the voices of the Wee Free Men. ( )
2 vote Nicole_13 | Jul 24, 2016 |
Not a bad little book that I suppose is Pratchett's response to Harry Potter. Bet he's kicking himself for ignoring the students at Unseen University! A large part of the book is essentially a dream sequence. Now I hate that sort of thing on principle but Pratchett handles it beautifully. A real credit to him as a writer. ( )
  Lukerik | Jul 12, 2016 |
What a fun book! Starting this series with Terry Pratchett's discussion of the Nac Mac Feegle and their zelda-for-a-day Tiffany, who's actually just trying to find her lost baby brother (who is kind of a pain for her) while still enjoying making cheese and butter, this book is a good romp with plenty of spine and a few moments that are just plain ridiculous. Not quite laugh-out-loud funny, but they do bring a lightness to my heart. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
Some fun and clever bits, but I just couldn't make myself be a fan of Pratchett's satirical fantasies, even though I really wanted to.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This is the first standalone Pratchett novel based on Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles. I enjoyed the book very much, although you have to bear in mind that this is a novel aimed at Young Adults (YA), rather than adults. The Scottish-type dialogues are full of humour. Tiffany Aching, as a self-discovered witch, will learn from experience. Also, like in a picaresque novel, the Baron and his son are made fun of, in such a way that higher social classes don't mean anything when it comes to working the land. Furthermore, bravery is not indicative of a higher social rank, as the plot clearly demonstrates. This is a good book, I will probably read the following ones in the series, but it does not have the same impact as Pratchett's other adult novels, for which I hold a particular interest - the Witches, Death, the Guards, etc. ( )
  soniaandree | Apr 29, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibby, PaulIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.
“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!”
“Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short.”

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,626,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible