The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs (Narrator)

Member:DeadBilly
Title:The Wee Free Men
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Stephen Briggs (Narrator)
Info:HarperChildren's Audio (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (2003)

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "Utensile Strength".)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "The Prince of Ebon Rih".)

English (133)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (139)
Tiffany is a no nonsense 9 year old aspiring witch. Its mentioned witchcraft finds the witch.
But Tiffany found it first. A good sized chunk.
Frying pans are good weapons and the Nac Mac Feegles are worthy of hysterics and unbeatable in arguments.

Excellent characters and story. Regular sarcasm and hilarity. Also a good dose of reality within the humor which is always the best way.

I need moooore! ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Even though I read Colour of Magic first, this book has got me hooked on Discworld, mainly the witches :D
Excellent characters, hilarious adventures and humor. As always highly quotable. ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Prior to this, I have never read anything by Terry Pratchett. I had wanted to for years, but kept putting it off on account of wanting to read them "in sequence." Perchance this book, and its sequel 'A Hat Full Of Sky' landed in my hands, and so I read them. Having done so, I can say that, as others have reviewed online, there are so many starting points and 'mini series' in the Discworld saga, and this one stood well on its own (despite being book #30 or so in publication order).

To me, this book is endearing in an Enid Blyton sort of way, with wee folk and all. It was also very now-you-see-it, now-you-don't in an 'Indian In The Cupboard' sort of way. Throw in a dash of Madeleine L'engle's, 'A Wrinkle In Time', and voilà! It is not my intention to pad the résumé of this book by relating it to all the other authors. On the contrary, those other authors / books are among my favorites, thus putting this book in the same league. The not-so-many-stars ranking is on account of my personal preference in having a more complex plot. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett the 30th Discworld book and the first of the Tiffany Aching young adult series. Tiffany, the youngest daughter of a sheepherding family wants to do something else with her life. She wants to be a witch. But life on the Chalk doesn't seem like a likely place to become a witch, that is until the Queen of the Faeries steels away her baby brother, Wentworth.

Tiffany's headstrong approach to life combined with her first sight and second thoughts draws the attention of some unlikely allies: Perspicacia Tick, a witch finder, and the Nac Mac Feegle, a six inch tall, fighting clan of Pictsies who can get into and out of anything (except pubs).

Mostly though the book is about how Tiffany uses the lessons learned from her recently passed grandmother, Granny Aching, to face the unknown and get her brother back. Yes, her friends are magical but she gets by through being observant, stubborn, angry, and proud. She's not a heroine to wring her hands at the first sign of trouble. No; she's the type to grab a frying pan.

Later books in the series make a bigger deal about the stories taking place on Discworld but this one safe for a few mentions here and there, could easily take place anywhere else. Discworld here isn't the point; it's just the setting and that is refreshing compared to some of the earliest books in the series.

I've read Wee Free Men in three different formats: as an audio performed by Stephen Briggs, a hardback with just the text, and then a gorgeous illustrated version with watercolors by Stephen Player. Below are some of my favorite pictures from that version ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 6, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibby, PaulIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:45 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,156,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible