The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs (Narrator)

Member:DeadBilly
Title:The Wee Free Men
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Stephen Briggs (Narrator)
Info:HarperChildren's Audio (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (2003)

Recently added bydonnambr, private library, CcanRead, jenspirko, kateminasian, mshampson, Maji46, ecolleary, ellsie98
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "Utensile Strength".)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "The Prince of Ebon Rih".)

English (135)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (141)
The Wee Free Men is the kind of book that makes writing look like an effortless endeavor. And the ending...well, it was just wonderful.

I read this one aloud to my kids, and it was an absolute delight. My daughter is nine, just like Tiffany, and doesn't need me to read books to her anymore, but I still do because we love sharing stories. My five-year-old loves talking like the Nac Mac Feegle ("Crivens!" he says, innumerable times each day), but it's not clear to me just how much else he got from the story. My daughter, however, laughed along with me at the puns and other fun little jokes with which Pratchett peppers this story and was moved along with me at the moving bits (which I won't detail because I don't want to spoil it. Suffice to say it was more than I expected from a book for young people). Both children were kind enough not to make fun of my version of the Nac Mac Feegle accent.

I'm betting my daughter is going to want to pick up another Discworld book tomorrow...and probably will want to make butter, too. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
A YA Discworld novel. Love the heroine, not yet sure about having the Nac Mac Feegle featured QUITE so prominently, but overall a wonderful read. The puns and satire don't come quite as fast as in the adult titles, but that is as it should be. ( )
  lexmccall | Sep 3, 2014 |
This was a great choice to read for my first foray into Pratchett’s Discworld as I did not need to know anything of prior books to fully enjoy it. And, it worked quite well as a stand-alone book. Of course, now I want to continue reading further adventures of the Wee Free Men and hope to come across more of Tiffany Aching, the 9 year old witch introduced in this tale.

This is an uproarious fantasy, adventure tale. Tiffany is not particularly fond of her younger brother, Wentworth. He is obnoxious, only interested in “sweeties”, and is chronically “sticky”. But when the Queen of Faeries steals him, Tiffany sets out to save him armed with only her frying pan and the help of the Nac Mac Feegle. The Nac Mac Feegle are 6” tall blue skinned, red haired men who speak with a Scottish accent and whose main interests are drinking, fighting and stealing. If you like the irreverent humor of Monty Python or Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker series, I suspect you will enjoy this book. I highly recommend this as an audio read. Stephen Briggs does an admirable job with Pratchett’s writing. It’s simply hilarious! ( )
  Bluebird1 | Sep 1, 2014 |
Tiffany is a no nonsense 9 year old aspiring witch. Its mentioned witchcraft finds the witch.
But Tiffany found it first. A good sized chunk.
Frying pans are good weapons and the Nac Mac Feegles are worthy of hysterics and unbeatable in arguments.

Excellent characters and story. Regular sarcasm and hilarity. Also a good dose of reality within the humor which is always the best way.

I need moooore! ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Even though I read Colour of Magic first, this book has got me hooked on Discworld, mainly the witches :D
Excellent characters, hilarious adventures and humor. As always highly quotable. ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibby, PaulIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:45 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,020,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible