The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs (Narrator)

Member:DeadBilly
Title:The Wee Free Men
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Stephen Briggs (Narrator)
Info:HarperChildren's Audio (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (2003)

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "Utensile Strength".)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "The Prince of Ebon Rih".)

English (157)  German (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (164)
Listened to about 2/3 of this on the long drive home from Wisconsin, then finished it up with this volume. It's a marvelous example of the bookmaking art. My mental image of the Nac Mac Feegle had them stockier rather than spindly but I have no quarrel with this version. The illustrations and the text layout were marvelous and I particularly loved the foldouts. As to the story and the writing it again brings that wonderful mix of laugh out loud humor with poignancy and emotional truth that I'm starting to associate with Pratchett. ( )
  TSPbham | Aug 14, 2016 |
There's trouble on Aching farm. A strange green monster has appeared in the river. A headless horseman has been seen riding about. Things from nightmares have been spotted in the hills. And now Tiffany's little brother has gone missing and it's up to her to get him back. She grabs her weapon (a frying pan), her magic book (granny's old copy of Diseases of Sheep) and some unlikely allies, the Nac Mac Feegle, the Wee Free Men, the fightin', thievin', tiny blue-skinned pictsies who were thrown out of Fairyland for being Drunk and Disorderly. Feeling as prepared as she'll ever be Tiffany sets off on her quest to find her brother and put a stop to the strange goings on around the farm.

The Wee Free Men is Terry Pratchett's the 30th Discworld book and first in the Tiffany Aching story line. This is designated as a YA book which I found odd because, aside from Tiffany being a 9-year old girl, this book easily stands up with the rest of the Discworld novels. This time around Pratchett takes on classical fairy tales and gives them his own imaginative twist. This is combined with his typical moments of laugh out loud funny situations and a surprising philosophical depth that those familiar with the series have come to expect.

All the new characters are wonderful. Tiffany is a highly capable young lady who thinks she may be a witch like Granny Aching was and has taken it upon herself to rescue her brother when he's abducted by the Fairy Queen. Not because she really likes him exactly, he is sticky and whiny, but because he's hers. Tiffany has the First Sight and Second Thoughts, making her uniquely qualified for her trip into Fairy Land. She also has a frying pan and is not afraid to use it! The Nac Mac Feegle are a group of "pictsies" and are a mad, drunken, fightin' family of wee free men that have decided to help Tiffany on her quest. They a decidedly Scottish feel to them by speaking with brogue and wearing kilts and I found them absolutely charming. They have a full history and a surprising amount of depth and nuance to their characters and motivations.

If you are a Discworld fan and have not picked up the Tiffany Aching books due to the YA classification, put those fears aside. This is an absolutely delightful entry to the series. ( )
  Narilka | Aug 13, 2016 |
The best of Terry Pratchett - a genuine fairy tale. Funny, silly, profound, and wise. Full of quotes you will remember forever. We're going to miss you Terry - the stars that burn brightest disappear too quickly. ( )
  WingedWolf | Aug 13, 2016 |
I want to be Tiffany Aching when I grow up.

She is smart, outspoken, and brave with a selfishness that reads more like undying loyalty. In short, she is everything that kid me would have idolized. Did I mention that she wants to be a witch? Or that she's friends with the coolest pictsies around?

I loved this book and highly recommend it to everyone young, old, female, or male and everyone else in between. So, go pick up a copy, lose yourself in the Chalk, and have loads of fun mimicking the voices of the Wee Free Men. ( )
3 vote Nicole_13 | Jul 24, 2016 |
Not a bad little book that I suppose is Pratchett's response to Harry Potter. Bet he's kicking himself for ignoring the students at Unseen University! A large part of the book is essentially a dream sequence. Now I hate that sort of thing on principle but Pratchett handles it beautifully. A real credit to him as a writer. ( )
  Lukerik | Jul 12, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.
“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!”
“Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short.”

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,266,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible