The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Wee Free Men (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Briggs (Narrator)

7,219147494 (4.2)346
Title:The Wee Free Men
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Stephen Briggs (Narrator)
Info:HarperChildren's Audio (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (2003)

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Book of Enchantments by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "Utensile Strength".)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    Dreams Made Flesh by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the frying pan as an armament. (Specifically in the short story "The Prince of Ebon Rih".)

English (141)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (147)
I love Terry Pratchett's humor, and I"m so glad he made a series that features a strong, intelligent girl. If you're a fan of Terry Pratchett, you absolutely must listen to his books in audiobook format, even if you don't normally listen to audiobooks, as the narrator really makes them come alive in a way that brings out the nuances of humor. I never would've been able to imagine all those British, Scottish, and Irish accents in my mind while reading from a printed book! ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
So I ran out of Grown Up Witches books and made it to the Tiffany books. Firstly, anyone who says 'OMG, this is so problematic about the Scots' is 100% right, if Pratchett had written a tribe of zulu warrior pixies it would have triggered far more warning bells in the world as a whole. I guess it's difficult - is it punching down or punching across? What do the actual Scots think about having sheep stealing, drunkard, quick to fight and slow to think stereotypes following them? Does anyone really connect those sorts of stereotypes with Real Scottish People, or is it just a joke at a history that no-one would be offended by?

Also, reading them all too close together makes the cracks of the Discworld stand out. I don't think there's a problem with the cracks - it is a patchwork tapestry of stories Pratchett told, loosely held together, and if you are surprised there are seams you're a fool. But the world of Miss Tick calling for help from Granny Weatherwax who swoops in like a guest actor is not the same world as the Disc we travelled in Witches Abroad. And the Queen of the Fairies is not the beautiful brilliant cruel Bad Guy we saw in Lords and Ladies, capable of being slowed down but in the end, undefeatable and outside, only restrained by the King. The Queen is scary, the dream traps fun (if confusing at times), the sheep dogs herding the storm across the sky brilliant But it isn’t Lords and Ladies

It made me realise there is an ongoing theme in Young Adult literature, to personify some sort of depression-alike as a Bad Thing you can fight but most people can't see. The spectres in Northern Lights. The dementors in Potter. The drones in Discworld. Would be fun to write a compare and contrast at some point...

Also, it is fun, and clever, to see a story trying to teach you to see through the cracks in stories. (cf Lily Weatherwax). Ah, Tiffany, full of virtues I adore, first sight and second thoughts, and the embarrassing self awareness that she doesn't love her sticky, bratty brother, but that she'll do the right thing anyway. ( )
  atreic | Oct 14, 2015 |
It's nearly ten years since I first discovered (rather late) Terry Pratchett, when a niece left behind a copy of one of his early books. I loved his quirky humour and almost sci-fi take on reality, but after reading two or three more Pratchetts a started to want something fresher. Now, I've discovered a new way to read Pratchett. In small doses.
I really enjoyed coming back again to this book. He's such an easy read. There's plenty of action. There's darkness, but it's hardly horror. And there is that wonderful way with words that makes me think he's winking as he trots out another play on words. I'm sure I'll be reading more of his vast library as an occasional dip into simple enjoyment. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Sep 24, 2015 |
The Wee Free Men is the first book in Terry Pratchett’s Tiffany Aching series, a YA series that’s sort of a sub-series of the Discworld books. They can be read independently or as an introduction into the larger world.

In the Wee Free Men, Tiffany is a nine year old girl who wants to be a witch. Why does she want to be a witch? Because an old woman who was suspected of being a witch was turned out of her home and died of the cold. Tiffany’s decided that she will be a witch so that this will never happen again. This tells you a lot about the sort of person Tiffany is. She’s brave, compassionate, and intelligent. She read the dictionary cover to cover because no one told her she wasn’t supposed to. If you were to ask me to list my favorite protagonists, Tiffany would probably be near the top of the list.

Tiffany’s younger brother is kidnapped by the Queen of the Fairies. Tiffany didn’t particularly love her brother, even though she feels like she should, but he’s hers. And it’s up to her to rescue him, although she has the help of the Nac Mac Feegle, a tribe of boisterous six inch tall blue warriors.

“I know nothing about her. Just some books, and some stories she tried to tell me, and things I didn’t understand, and I remember big red soft hands and that smell. I never knew who she really was. I mean, she must have been nine too, once.”

Interwoven with this story is Tiffany’s memories of her grandmother, Granny Achings, who died around two years ago. Tiffany looked up to her grandmother but felt that she was never quite able to communicate with her. As much as The Wee Free Men is a story about fairies, it is also a story about Tiffany’s loss and grief.

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

The Wee Free Men is also about Tiffany’s sense of responsibility to her land, the Chalk, and people. Granny Achings was a shepherd of the Chalk in more ways than one. She watched the boundaries and looked after those who had no one else to speak for them. The Wee Free Men is about Tiffany taking this responsibility onto herself.

“The thing about witchcraft,” said Mistress Weatherwax, “is that it’s not like school at all. First you get the test, and then afterward you spend years findin’ out how you passed it. It’s a bit like life in that respect.”

The Wee Free Men is the beginning of Tiffany’s story. The other books follow her as she grows older and accepts ever more responsibility. In short, The Wee Free Men is the start of Tiffany becoming a witch. I think I prefer the later books in the series, but The Wee Free Men is a good beginning.

I would recommend The Wee Free Men to someone looking for YA fantasy with a strong female lead and no romance.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
2 vote pwaites | Jul 14, 2015 |
Tiffany Aching has spent her whole life in Chalk, under the wise tutelage of her grandmother, a revered shepherdess and possible witch - so when strange things start happening, Tiffany is determined to protect her home with the help of the Wee Free Men.

Although set in Discworld - and later, familiar faces popping up, such as Granny Weatherwax and everybody's favorite, Death - the Tiffany Aching series was written as young adult. It doesn't quite have the same laugh-out-loud humor as the best of Discworld, but makes up for it with the other things Terry Pratchett does so well (which is, of course, everything).

Tiffany is perfect: precocious, inquisitive, a bit of a know-it-all, and with just enough common sense and petulant child to make her believable. She isn't the Tragic Heroine Who Stands Against All Odds that make up so many young adult novels, or even the Mostly Smart Heroine Because Everyone Says She Is But Someone Manages to Be an Idiot for the Entire Plot that makes up the other ones. She is, instead, a bright kid with a good head on her shoulders, but not a lot of experience.

The Nac Mac Feegles are laugh-out-loud hilarious (based on the Celts, including dying their skin blue with woad, they will pick a fight with anything and anyone and are deeply suspicious of the written word, witches, and lawyers), and the imagination of Pratchett soars. His main gift, however, is by making the plot utterly imaginative and crafting the resolution to make sense within it - which sounds simple enough, or at least something they surely teach writers, but most usually take wild imagination to mean that a completely improbable coincidence will crop up and save the day at the last minute.

If you're a fan of Discworld, you will love it. And if you haven't read Discworld, this will make you want to pick up some more Pratchett. ( )
1 vote kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartocci, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kibby, PaulIllustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060012382, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible