dismiss

Fair game : an Alpha and Omega novel by…

Fair game : an Alpha and Omega novel (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs

"It is said that opposites attract. And in the case of werewolves Anna Latham and Charles Cornick, they mate. The son--and enforcer--of the leader of the North American werewolves, Charles is a dominant Alpha. While Anna, an Omega, has the rare ability to calm others of her kind. Now that the werewolves have revealed themselves to humans, they can't afford any bad publicity. Infractions that could have been overlooked in the past must now be punished, and the strain of doing his father's dirty work is taking a toll on Charles. Nevertheless, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston when the FBI requests the pack's help on a local serial-killer case. They quickly realize that the last two victims were werewolves, and identify others originally thought humans as fae. Someone is targeting the preternatural. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer's sights.."--… (more)
Member:daydreaming.antigone
Title:Fair game : an Alpha and Omega novel
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2012.

Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

English (94)  Piratical (1)  All languages (95)
Since the werewolves have come out to the public, Charles is way too busy as his father Bran's executioner whose job it is to kill werewolves who break the rules. His last job was in Minnesota where he had to kill some werewolves who hunted down a sexual predator, killed him and ate him. This would likely have been okay with with werewolves if they hadn't had so much publicity about it. The Minnesota pack's Alpha wouldn't execute the wolves because they were the "good guys" which left the task to Charles. Charles is being haunted by their ghosts and he has closed off the mating bond with Anna to protect her.

Anna hasn't been able to convince Bran that something is really wrong with Charles until she tells him that he hasn't made any music for months. Even so, Bran still needs Charles as his executioner and doesn't know who else he can send on those jobs.

Meanwhile, the FBI is tracking a serial killer they have named the Big Game Hunter. They have been tracking him without success for years. But it appears that the killer's last three victims have been werewolves and the FBI would like to consult with some werewolves. Bran decides to send Anna and naturally Charles will be going along to protect her.

The FBI and a number of other government agencies including Homeland Security and CNTRP -
Combined Non-human and Trans-Human Relations Provisions - are involved though most of them are trying to get more information about the werewolves and finding the serial killer is a distant second goal.

When the latest victim of the serial killer turns out to be twenty-two-year-old Lizzie Beauclaire, the fae become involved. Lizzie is the daughter of Alistair Beauclaire who is an old and powerful fae who has been living undercover as a lawyer.

Anna and Charles call on the Boston pack led by Isaac Owens to help with the investigation. He brings in a black witch that the pack works with because the only way the kidnapping of Lizzie could have happened is if someone used magic.

This was an exciting story filled with all sorts of fascinating paranormal creatures. It was also an engaging mystery as the group tracks down a serial killer who has paranormal assets of his own. I love the relationship between Anna and Charles and love that Anna is getting used to her own strength and power.

The bombshell ending makes me very glad that I have the next book in the series on my Audible playlist and glad that I have read the Mercy Thompson series which gives me another look at the political implications of some decisions made in this story. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 25, 2020 |

kmartin802 | Jun 25, 2020 |
Decent, but nothing to write home about with the exception of Charles' guilt plot line--worst handling of such a plot line that I've ever seen. ( )
  Kalal | May 27, 2020 |
This one was ok, it wasn't the typical Charles and Anna book but I still enjoyed it. Where Charles was losing his grip on himself, Anna was becoming more secure in herself. But then they had found each other again and it was the greatest thing ever. it was like true love born again. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
4.5 stars. Another great story by Patricia Briggs. This one will have a wider impact on the Mercy Thompson series also, so you might want to read this before the next one is out. ( )
  Colette_Miranda | Jul 29, 2019 |
Fair Game is the 3rd book in the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs. If you want to read these books in order and have not started them yet, I would recommend starting with the short story titled Alpha and Omega in the book On the Prowl.

Charles is the enforcer and son for the leader of the North American Werewolves. It is a job that has changed dramaticlaly now that werewolves have come out to the public. Charles is becoming conflicted about enforcing new rules and expectations of werewolves everywhere. When his mate, Anna, is sent to help law enforcement find a serial killer that is now murdering werewolves he finds himself dangerously close to the edge. Anna is an Omega and can calm the wolf inside. Can Anna convince Charles to let her help when it is the man that is in trouble?

I really liked Fair Game. The deepening of the story line to this whole world has me craving the next book (don’t want to give spoilers so I really cannot say more). Anna has grown as a character and it great seeing her keep everyone in check. The story flowed very well and the ending was great! I would recommend reading this series in order, although I do think that Fair Game could be read interdependently as well.

Briggs, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graham, HolterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all those who live in the dark fighting monsters so the rest of us stay safe
Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Leslie.

The Marrok sends Charles and Anna to Boston to cooperate in the investigation of a serial killer who has been operating for decades, recently targeting werewolves. Charles' soul has been sickened recently by having to mete retribution rather than justice, and the ghosts of those he has killed are haunting him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,925,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible