Fair Game (Alpha And Omega) by Patricia…
Member:Wazeau
Title:Fair Game (Alpha And Omega)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

Fair Game
4.5 Stars

Series note: It is a good idea (but not crucial) to read River Marked, book #6 in the Mercy Thompson series before this one, as it provides background on the decision to send Charles and Anna rather than Adam to Boston.

In terms of the romance, Anna and Charles's mating is put to the test as Charles distances himself from their bond in order to protect her. Things ultimately work out and it is great to see Anna become more confident in her role as the Omega and in her relationship with Charles. The development of Charles' character is another highlight, particularly due to the conflict between his strengths as the Marrok's enforcer and his vulnerability resulting from the same role.

The serial killer plot is gripping, particularly the investigative techniques and the interaction between the government agencies. Nevertheless, the villain's identity is somewhat predictable if one follows the abundance of clues.

The patriarchal structure of werewolf society that annoys me so much in Mercy's series is mitigated to a certain extent in Alpha & Omega, especially with the inclusion of positively drawn women, such as Agent Leslie Fisher and Mrs. Cullinan (why can't we see this type of female character in Mercy Thompson?)

Briggs's writing has improved with better sentence structure and punctuation although there are one or two problematic vocabulary choices.

Finally, the events and revelations at the conclusion of the book are simply incredible and earn the book an additional 1/2 star. Looking forward to what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Aug 20, 2014 |
OMG!! SO good, it is a crime to say "good" This was Great! Fan-freakin-tastic!!! LOL ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
Anna is worried about Charles – ever since the werewolves were revealed to the world, the laws have been enforced with brutal, almost draconian, strictness. And Charles is the enforcer of those draconian laws. The killing always wore at him – but not nearly as much as the deaths he feels are unjust

A serial killer case with the human investigators asking for werewolf help presents an excellent opportunity –Charles can help stop a killer rather than being one, helping the authorities for some good PR for the werewolves (and some careful education) and remove a monster from the streets. A monster who is apparently targeting werewolves and the fae.

This book added a few pieces to the world setting here – elements I’d seen from the Mercy Thompson series but get to see much more closely with these books since we’re closer to the decision making. We get to see the conflict that arises after the werewolves are revealed to the world, the difficulties this causes, the way the werewolves have had to change and the problems that has caused. The idea that werewolves are now having to avoid anything that could make them look bad (including loss of control when very young) leads to what is considered an almost draconian rule. There’s lots of interesting political nuggets – like trying to declare werewolves an endangered species as a sneaky way to have them classed as animals rather than humans.

And Charles is the one to enforce it. I would say this is some decent character development with Charles – and it is; after all he is viewed by the werewolf world as the ultimate boogeyman, the executioner who comes for you when you are bad, the monster lurking and that reputation hurts him – and gives him a terrible self-image. This knocks on with Anna because he’s worried about not being good enough for her, that he’s too blood stained or that she will be especially horrified by his death count (especially since, as an Omega, she’s one of the few werewolves who doesn’t face the wolf’s urge to kill). My only question with this development is that it’s old ground. Charles has been going through the exact same issues since he and Anna first met, so I want to know when he’s actually going to make sufficient progress on them – not necessarily to get over them, but at least not to shut down and decide that Anna is going to think he’s a terribad monster.

What is great development is how it shows how these things can wear on any person, but also how these issues mix with the political realities of the world they’re in. This is a minor theme of the book - with Bran trying to juggle everything and realising that, frankly, he cannot, something has to be sacrificed. And that sacrifice may be his son. The political and the personal are difficult things to balance especially in these fragile times which involves a clot of co-operation with people they don’t necessarily

This all fits excellently with the ending which is both supremely complicated and satisfying – showing off both the injustice of the human justice system and still giving us immense satisfaction of the bady guys being well and truly finished off. But it also fits the political vs personal theme – was the ending a mistake on the part of the actor? (Behold my dancing around the spoilers!) As much as it was satisfying, did they allow the personal to overwhelm good politics? The fact it was maintained or returned to in the book looks good for the rest of this series

There were two elements of this otherwise great story that I didn’t particularly like.

Firstly, towards the middle or middle-end, I got lost. We had a lot of characters from a lot of different agencies, from the wolf pack, witches, we had clues we past crimes and current crimes and relatives of victims – we had a whole lot of things going on that it felt like we jumped and I’m not sure why. Going back I can parse what everyone did and why and where we ended up, but that first reading left me feeling like I’d missed something and got turned round. I want from A to D and had to go back and figure out where B and C went – B and C were still there, but it took a second look to find them.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jul 25, 2014 |
This is set after River Marked but Mercy and her crew only appear in this book by way of a phone call. It is all Charles and Anna taking care of a problem of a serial killer. The fey are involved in the case once Anna and Charles realize that all the victims are fey or part fey. I really liked the ending of the book and will not even hint at what it was but it now has me on the edge of my seat for the next book in the series just to see the results of the actions of the last few pages of the book. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
This third installment in the Alpha & Omega series really packs a punch for what I think most consider a "companion" to Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series. The level of information and the events that take place in this book prove that these books should not be bypassed if you are a fan of Briggs' Mercy Thompson. If you were to skip this book you'd miss what I think might be a pivotal event for the overall story arc of both series.

I think that this book was way less of a "romance" than her previous 2 with Anna and Charles. I definitely found the 'less romance' feel to be preferable. It was good to see Anna has more self confidence and is standing on her own two feet and pushing back at the world in general. Charles is still as stubborn as ever but I think here we finally see him learning a few things about himself with a satisfying amout of character growth.

The writing was superb, with absolutely no repetitive junk thrown in that we often see in series books by other authors. Briggs always leaves me anxious for every word and I never feel there are any wasted. The only downside for me was there were a few supporting cast characters that I think could have been fleshed out a little bit more but they were still well written and though they didn't add too much overall to the story they didn't take away from it either.

I'm already chomping at the bit to get my hands on whatever book Briggs puts out next! ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Fair Game is the 3rd book in the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs. If you want to read these books in order and have not started them yet, I would recommend starting with the short story titled Alpha and Omega in the book On the Prowl.

Charles is the enforcer and son for the leader of the North American Werewolves. It is a job that has changed dramaticlaly now that werewolves have come out to the public. Charles is becoming conflicted about enforcing new rules and expectations of werewolves everywhere. When his mate, Anna, is sent to help law enforcement find a serial killer that is now murdering werewolves he finds himself dangerously close to the edge. Anna is an Omega and can calm the wolf inside. Can Anna convince Charles to let her help when it is the man that is in trouble?

I really liked Fair Game. The deepening of the story line to this whole world has me craving the next book (don’t want to give spoilers so I really cannot say more). Anna has grown as a character and it great seeing her keep everyone in check. The story flowed very well and the ending was great! I would recommend reading this series in order, although I do think that Fair Game could be read interdependently as well.

The Marrok sends Charles and Anna to Boston to cooperate in the investigation of a serial killer who has been operating for decades, recently targeting werewolves. Charles' soul has been sickened recently by having to mete retribution rather than justice, and the ghosts of those he has killed are haunting him.

"It is said that opposites attract. And in the case of werewolves Anna Latham and Charles Cornick, they mate. The son--and enforcer--of the leader of the North American werewolves, Charles is a dominant Alpha. While Anna, an Omega, has the rare ability to calm others of her kind. Now that the werewolves have revealed themselves to humans, they can't afford any bad publicity. Infractions that could have been overlooked in the past must now be punished, and the strain of doing his father's dirty work is taking a toll on Charles. Nevertheless, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston when the FBI requests the pack's help on a local serial-killer case. They quickly realize that the last two victims were werewolves, and identify others originally thought humans as fae. Someone is targeting the preternatural. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer's sights.."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,097,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible