Fair Game (Alpha And Omega) by Patricia…
Member:Wazeau
Title:Fair Game (Alpha And Omega)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

English (66)  Piratical (1)  All languages (67)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

I'm used to the events in series installments taking place a few weeks, if not days apart, so I was a little disconcerted by the fact that FAIR GAME jumped two full years into the future. In HUNTING GROUND Bran was still contemplating bringing the werewolves out to the public, but in this audiobook it was a done deal, and Anna & Charles are now dealing with the fallout. As a result, I experienced some mild growing pains while getting up to speed; luckily I had Briggs' MERCY THOMSON series to help make the drastic shift in gears less jolting. I was chagrined to learn that one of my favourite werewolf couples were no longer in a happy place, however the decade’s long murder spree, and smoothly crafted fae mythology proved to be satisfying distractions.

Up until this point, Charles & Anna have been flying solo with regards to their investigations, so it was a hoot watching them join their efforts with various federal organizations in order to stop a killer. Latham was Cornick's designated handler, and the outcome was quite comedic as you can probably imagine. I especially liked Anna's list of do's & don'ts around her mate, and the PR tangent was good for a few laughs too. As previously mentioned, these two have hit a rocky point in their relationship, mostly because Charles' enforcer role is beginning to wear on him thanks to stricter penalties towards misbehaving werewolves. I love how even when this couple is at their lowest they still continue to communicate, and resolve their problems angst free.

The fae have always played an active role in Briggs' universe, and I was excited to finally learn the real reason why they retreated to their reservations in her MT books. I never realized that such an important segment was missing until this newsflash roared to life, and forced me to revisit everything that I've learned to date in both worlds. This author sure knows how to give her protagonists a deserving foe while also ensuring that all of the secondary characters have a big impact on the overall story. I liked how Leslie's plot thread popped up throughout the novel when you least expected it to, and I really hope that she makes an encore appearance in this series.

The moment I hear Holter Graham's voice, I immediately slip back into the ALPHA & OMEGA frame of mind. He's brought something extra to every installment, and in this latest one it was his Boston accents. His attention to detail never ceases to amaze, from the consistency of the protagonists, to the slight differences between Charles and Brother Wolf's tones. Several new characters were added, and he made it easy to identify each and every one of them. Graham's delivery has improved a great deal when compared to the first audiobook which I still adored, and as a result, he's now among my top three male narrators.

FAIR GAME was an experience that bears repeating; I don't do re-reads very often, but this series is worthy! ( )
  RabidReads | Mar 5, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Read/Listened for Fun (Paperback/Audible)
Overall Rating: 5.00
Story Rating: 5.00
Character Rating: 5.00

Audio Rating: 5.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Fair Game by Patricia Briggs was my favorite in the series so far!

Quick Thoughts:It was a great mix of mystery, romance (a totally inappropriate "bow chica bow bow" moment that was immediately called out by Anna so that made it OK), and momentum forward in the overall storyline. All around FANTASTIC! I didn't even knock off for that "wait where is the next one" ending.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Holter Graham / Length: 9 hrs and 57 mins

Holter pretty much nails it again! I really loved his narration, pacing, and emotion. I couldn't imagine anyone else doing Charles voice!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Feb 16, 2015 |
This book was quite exciting! Werewolves, witches, fae oh my! A predator is stalking the streets of Boston, taking prisoners and torturing them gruesomely. He has done this before. For years. The time for him to be caught is now. Anna and Charles are called in as consultants. The FBI, homeland, and a new branch nicknamed cantrip try to solve the crimes, yet the killer leaves no clues behind. With the help of these two special wolves justice is meted and Charles' guilt is destroyed by purpose. And the fae, oh, the fae... They do something incredible. So indescribable that I can't wait to get my hands upon the next book to find out the consequences.
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this one as much as others in the series, but it was still a great addition. My main problem stemmed from the fact that too much time had passed in Anna and Charles' world. In [b:Hunting Ground|5292853|Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)|Patricia Briggs|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1330994912s/5292853.jpg|5360280] Anna was still struggling with her place in Charles' life and with what happened in her previous pack. At the end of that novel, I felt like there was still a lot of emotional issues that Anna needed to overcome and looked forward to watching her as she slowly worked through them in future books. However, as Fair Game opens it seems like Anna has solved all those issues in her life. She's suddenly confident enough to not only face-off with Bram but argue with him even while he's in a rage. I was really thrown by this because its such a huge difference from her in the other novels. In Hunting Ground she couldn't even sit in a room with alpha wolves without trembling in fear. So I spent most of this novel trying to shake off the feeling that I somehow missed a short story or novel before this one that would explain Anna's new confidence.

Aside from this issue, I really enjoyed the story here. Charles is struggling with how much more brutal his role as Bram's axe-man is now that people know werewolves exist. Anna, noticing disturbing changes in Charles' state of mind, brings her concern to Bram who brushes her off in a rather harshly. Unfortunately, everyone seems to think that Anna is just bitching because she can't handle what Charles does anymore. After Bram finally recognizes that Charles' is struggling, he decides to send Charles and Anna out to help solve a spree of serial murders. Bram and Anna both hope that giving Charles this opportunity to help people rather than act as executioner will help him overcome whatever he's struggling with. I really loved the storyline in this one. Seeing Anna and Charles' relationship flipped from what it was in previous books, with Anna acting as the rock and Charles the emotionally unstable one, was really great. I loved the feeling of equality and balance this added to their relationship. The side-characters in this were also rather intriguing, especially in regards to the ending. Seriously, that ending was pretty bad-ass and I can't wait to see what Briggs does with fall-out from it in her future books. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Fair Game is the 3rd book in the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs. If you want to read these books in order and have not started them yet, I would recommend starting with the short story titled Alpha and Omega in the book On the Prowl.

Charles is the enforcer and son for the leader of the North American Werewolves. It is a job that has changed dramaticlaly now that werewolves have come out to the public. Charles is becoming conflicted about enforcing new rules and expectations of werewolves everywhere. When his mate, Anna, is sent to help law enforcement find a serial killer that is now murdering werewolves he finds himself dangerously close to the edge. Anna is an Omega and can calm the wolf inside. Can Anna convince Charles to let her help when it is the man that is in trouble?

I really liked Fair Game. The deepening of the story line to this whole world has me craving the next book (don’t want to give spoilers so I really cannot say more). Anna has grown as a character and it great seeing her keep everyone in check. The story flowed very well and the ending was great! I would recommend reading this series in order, although I do think that Fair Game could be read interdependently as well.

The Marrok sends Charles and Anna to Boston to cooperate in the investigation of a serial killer who has been operating for decades, recently targeting werewolves. Charles' soul has been sickened recently by having to mete retribution rather than justice, and the ghosts of those he has killed are haunting him.

"It is said that opposites attract. And in the case of werewolves Anna Latham and Charles Cornick, they mate. The son--and enforcer--of the leader of the North American werewolves, Charles is a dominant Alpha. While Anna, an Omega, has the rare ability to calm others of her kind. Now that the werewolves have revealed themselves to humans, they can't afford any bad publicity. Infractions that could have been overlooked in the past must now be punished, and the strain of doing his father's dirty work is taking a toll on Charles. Nevertheless, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston when the FBI requests the pack's help on a local serial-killer case. They quickly realize that the last two victims were werewolves, and identify others originally thought humans as fae. Someone is targeting the preternatural. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer's sights.."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,281,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible