Fair Game (Alpha And Omega) by Patricia…
Member:willowsmom
Title:Fair Game (Alpha And Omega)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:series, werewolves

Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

English (61)  Piratical (1)  All languages (62)
I like these almost as much...maybe more...than the Mercy Thompson books. Anna is a slightly more complex character. She has a lot more baggage. These read a lot like the Mercy books, without most of the wild action. This one dovetails neatly with the most recent Mercy book (Night Broken). They don't have to be read in order, but the events here happen before Night Broken. ( )
  lesmel | Sep 26, 2014 |
THE BEST YET! I love Charles and Anna. Can't wait to find out what happens next. ( )
  Tala2cubs | Sep 3, 2014 |
OMG!! SO good, it is a crime to say "good" This was Great! Fan-freakin-tastic!!! LOL ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
Anna is worried about Charles – ever since the werewolves were revealed to the world, the laws have been enforced with brutal, almost draconian, strictness. And Charles is the enforcer of those draconian laws. The killing always wore at him – but not nearly as much as the deaths he feels are unjust

A serial killer case with the human investigators asking for werewolf help presents an excellent opportunity –Charles can help stop a killer rather than being one, helping the authorities for some good PR for the werewolves (and some careful education) and remove a monster from the streets. A monster who is apparently targeting werewolves and the fae.

This book added a few pieces to the world setting here – elements I’d seen from the Mercy Thompson series but get to see much more closely with these books since we’re closer to the decision making. We get to see the conflict that arises after the werewolves are revealed to the world, the difficulties this causes, the way the werewolves have had to change and the problems that has caused. The idea that werewolves are now having to avoid anything that could make them look bad (including loss of control when very young) leads to what is considered an almost draconian rule. There’s lots of interesting political nuggets – like trying to declare werewolves an endangered species as a sneaky way to have them classed as animals rather than humans.

And Charles is the one to enforce it. I would say this is some decent character development with Charles – and it is; after all he is viewed by the werewolf world as the ultimate boogeyman, the executioner who comes for you when you are bad, the monster lurking and that reputation hurts him – and gives him a terrible self-image. This knocks on with Anna because he’s worried about not being good enough for her, that he’s too blood stained or that she will be especially horrified by his death count (especially since, as an Omega, she’s one of the few werewolves who doesn’t face the wolf’s urge to kill). My only question with this development is that it’s old ground. Charles has been going through the exact same issues since he and Anna first met, so I want to know when he’s actually going to make sufficient progress on them – not necessarily to get over them, but at least not to shut down and decide that Anna is going to think he’s a terribad monster.

What is great development is how it shows how these things can wear on any person, but also how these issues mix with the political realities of the world they’re in. This is a minor theme of the book - with Bran trying to juggle everything and realising that, frankly, he cannot, something has to be sacrificed. And that sacrifice may be his son. The political and the personal are difficult things to balance especially in these fragile times which involves a clot of co-operation with people they don’t necessarily

This all fits excellently with the ending which is both supremely complicated and satisfying – showing off both the injustice of the human justice system and still giving us immense satisfaction of the bady guys being well and truly finished off. But it also fits the political vs personal theme – was the ending a mistake on the part of the actor? (Behold my dancing around the spoilers!) As much as it was satisfying, did they allow the personal to overwhelm good politics? The fact it was maintained or returned to in the book looks good for the rest of this series

There were two elements of this otherwise great story that I didn’t particularly like.

Firstly, towards the middle or middle-end, I got lost. We had a lot of characters from a lot of different agencies, from the wolf pack, witches, we had clues we past crimes and current crimes and relatives of victims – we had a whole lot of things going on that it felt like we jumped and I’m not sure why. Going back I can parse what everyone did and why and where we ended up, but that first reading left me feeling like I’d missed something and got turned round. I want from A to D and had to go back and figure out where B and C went – B and C were still there, but it took a second look to find them.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jul 25, 2014 |
This is set after River Marked but Mercy and her crew only appear in this book by way of a phone call. It is all Charles and Anna taking care of a problem of a serial killer. The fey are involved in the case once Anna and Charles realize that all the victims are fey or part fey. I really liked the ending of the book and will not even hint at what it was but it now has me on the edge of my seat for the next book in the series just to see the results of the actions of the last few pages of the book. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Fair Game is the 3rd book in the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs. If you want to read these books in order and have not started them yet, I would recommend starting with the short story titled Alpha and Omega in the book On the Prowl.

Charles is the enforcer and son for the leader of the North American Werewolves. It is a job that has changed dramaticlaly now that werewolves have come out to the public. Charles is becoming conflicted about enforcing new rules and expectations of werewolves everywhere. When his mate, Anna, is sent to help law enforcement find a serial killer that is now murdering werewolves he finds himself dangerously close to the edge. Anna is an Omega and can calm the wolf inside. Can Anna convince Charles to let her help when it is the man that is in trouble?

I really liked Fair Game. The deepening of the story line to this whole world has me craving the next book (don’t want to give spoilers so I really cannot say more). Anna has grown as a character and it great seeing her keep everyone in check. The story flowed very well and the ending was great! I would recommend reading this series in order, although I do think that Fair Game could be read interdependently as well.

The Marrok sends Charles and Anna to Boston to cooperate in the investigation of a serial killer who has been operating for decades, recently targeting werewolves. Charles' soul has been sickened recently by having to mete retribution rather than justice, and the ghosts of those he has killed are haunting him.

"It is said that opposites attract. And in the case of werewolves Anna Latham and Charles Cornick, they mate. The son--and enforcer--of the leader of the North American werewolves, Charles is a dominant Alpha. While Anna, an Omega, has the rare ability to calm others of her kind. Now that the werewolves have revealed themselves to humans, they can't afford any bad publicity. Infractions that could have been overlooked in the past must now be punished, and the strain of doing his father's dirty work is taking a toll on Charles. Nevertheless, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston when the FBI requests the pack's help on a local serial-killer case. They quickly realize that the last two victims were werewolves, and identify others originally thought humans as fae. Someone is targeting the preternatural. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer's sights.."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible