Fair Game (Alpha And Omega) by Patricia…
Member:willowsmom
Title:Fair Game (Alpha And Omega)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:series, werewolves

Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

English (64)  Piratical (1)  All languages (65)
Read/Listened for Fun (Paperback/Audible)
Overall Rating: 5.00
Story Rating: 5.00
Character Rating: 5.00

Audio Rating: 5.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Fair Game by Patricia Briggs was my favorite in the series so far!

Quick Thoughts:It was a great mix of mystery, romance (a totally inappropriate "bow chica bow bow" moment that was immediately called out by Anna so that made it OK), and momentum forward in the overall storyline. All around FANTASTIC! I didn't even knock off for that "wait where is the next one" ending.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Holter Graham / Length: 9 hrs and 57 mins

Holter pretty much nails it again! I really loved his narration, pacing, and emotion. I couldn't imagine anyone else doing Charles voice!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Feb 16, 2015 |
This book was quite exciting! Werewolves, witches, fae oh my! A predator is stalking the streets of Boston, taking prisoners and torturing them gruesomely. He has done this before. For years. The time for him to be caught is now. Anna and Charles are called in as consultants. The FBI, homeland, and a new branch nicknamed cantrip try to solve the crimes, yet the killer leaves no clues behind. With the help of these two special wolves justice is meted and Charles' guilt is destroyed by purpose. And the fae, oh, the fae... They do something incredible. So indescribable that I can't wait to get my hands upon the next book to find out the consequences.
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this one as much as others in the series, but it was still a great addition. My main problem stemmed from the fact that too much time had passed in Anna and Charles' world. In [b:Hunting Ground|5292853|Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)|Patricia Briggs|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1330994912s/5292853.jpg|5360280] Anna was still struggling with her place in Charles' life and with what happened in her previous pack. At the end of that novel, I felt like there was still a lot of emotional issues that Anna needed to overcome and looked forward to watching her as she slowly worked through them in future books. However, as Fair Game opens it seems like Anna has solved all those issues in her life. She's suddenly confident enough to not only face-off with Bram but argue with him even while he's in a rage. I was really thrown by this because its such a huge difference from her in the other novels. In Hunting Ground she couldn't even sit in a room with alpha wolves without trembling in fear. So I spent most of this novel trying to shake off the feeling that I somehow missed a short story or novel before this one that would explain Anna's new confidence.

Aside from this issue, I really enjoyed the story here. Charles is struggling with how much more brutal his role as Bram's axe-man is now that people know werewolves exist. Anna, noticing disturbing changes in Charles' state of mind, brings her concern to Bram who brushes her off in a rather harshly. Unfortunately, everyone seems to think that Anna is just bitching because she can't handle what Charles does anymore. After Bram finally recognizes that Charles' is struggling, he decides to send Charles and Anna out to help solve a spree of serial murders. Bram and Anna both hope that giving Charles this opportunity to help people rather than act as executioner will help him overcome whatever he's struggling with. I really loved the storyline in this one. Seeing Anna and Charles' relationship flipped from what it was in previous books, with Anna acting as the rock and Charles the emotionally unstable one, was really great. I loved the feeling of equality and balance this added to their relationship. The side-characters in this were also rather intriguing, especially in regards to the ending. Seriously, that ending was pretty bad-ass and I can't wait to see what Briggs does with fall-out from it in her future books. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I like these almost as much...maybe more...than the Mercy Thompson books. Anna is a slightly more complex character. She has a lot more baggage. These read a lot like the Mercy books, without most of the wild action. This one dovetails neatly with the most recent Mercy book (Night Broken). They don't have to be read in order, but the events here happen before Night Broken. ( )
  lesmel | Sep 26, 2014 |
THE BEST YET! I love Charles and Anna. Can't wait to find out what happens next. ( )
  Tala2cubs | Sep 3, 2014 |
Fair Game is the 3rd book in the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs. If you want to read these books in order and have not started them yet, I would recommend starting with the short story titled Alpha and Omega in the book On the Prowl.

Charles is the enforcer and son for the leader of the North American Werewolves. It is a job that has changed dramaticlaly now that werewolves have come out to the public. Charles is becoming conflicted about enforcing new rules and expectations of werewolves everywhere. When his mate, Anna, is sent to help law enforcement find a serial killer that is now murdering werewolves he finds himself dangerously close to the edge. Anna is an Omega and can calm the wolf inside. Can Anna convince Charles to let her help when it is the man that is in trouble?

I really liked Fair Game. The deepening of the story line to this whole world has me craving the next book (don’t want to give spoilers so I really cannot say more). Anna has grown as a character and it great seeing her keep everyone in check. The story flowed very well and the ending was great! I would recommend reading this series in order, although I do think that Fair Game could be read interdependently as well.

The Marrok sends Charles and Anna to Boston to cooperate in the investigation of a serial killer who has been operating for decades, recently targeting werewolves. Charles' soul has been sickened recently by having to mete retribution rather than justice, and the ghosts of those he has killed are haunting him.

"It is said that opposites attract. And in the case of werewolves Anna Latham and Charles Cornick, they mate. The son--and enforcer--of the leader of the North American werewolves, Charles is a dominant Alpha. While Anna, an Omega, has the rare ability to calm others of her kind. Now that the werewolves have revealed themselves to humans, they can't afford any bad publicity. Infractions that could have been overlooked in the past must now be punished, and the strain of doing his father's dirty work is taking a toll on Charles. Nevertheless, Charles and Anna are sent to Boston when the FBI requests the pack's help on a local serial-killer case. They quickly realize that the last two victims were werewolves, and identify others originally thought humans as fae. Someone is targeting the preternatural. And now Anna and Charles have put themselves right in the killer's sights.."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,780,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible