The Cypress House by Michael Koryta

The Cypress House

by Michael Koryta

Working my way back through some earlier Koryta books which the first two (So Cold The River and this) are much different from his later mysteries which I love. I really enjoyed So Cold The River, supernatural thriller, despite that not being my typical genre. Cypress House had some supernatural, some thriller, some romance but nothing really pulled it together for me on this one. Probably my least favorite Koryta that I've read so far. It was a much slower paced and not as exciting as I've come to expect from him. But I'll definitely keep reading his books. You can't win them all. ( )
  she_climber | Aug 8, 2015 |
I loved this book. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | Jul 29, 2015 |
This is the first book by Michael Koryta I have read. The story is well written and draws you into the time and place. The story builds suspense and tension that leads you through to the end.
I will definitely be reading more by Michael Koryta.

Arlen Wagner has seen it in men before - a trace of smoke in their eyes that promises imminent death. He is never wrong.

When Arlen awakens on a train one hot Florida night and sees death's telltale sign in the eyes of his fellow passengers, he tries to warn them. Only nineteen year old Paul Brickhill believes him and the two abandon the train hoping to escape the doom.

They are soon stranded at the Cypress House - an isolated Gulf Coast boardinghouse ran by Rebecca Cady - directly in the path of a hurricane.

The storm isn't the only danger, a much deadlier force controls the county and everyone living in it. Arlen wants to leave but Paul refuses to abandon Rebecca to face the threats alone, even if Arlen's eerie gift warns that if they stay to long they may never leave. ( )
  oldriverbooks | Mar 2, 2015 |
So exciting that I read it all at once. The story of Florida people during the depression of the 1930s and how they deal with an oppressive county government. One of them can see into death and the author effectively incorporates that into the story. Th exciting and surprise conclusion lasts for 1-2 hours-prolonging the suspense. Kortya--ya dun gud! ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 9, 2014 |
This is a richly atmospheric, supernatural-tinged thriller set in depression-era Florida. Arlan Wagner has the ability to see smoke in the eyes of people who will die soon, so when he sees it in the eyes of his fellow passengers on a Southbound train, he decides he must get off the train, bringing along his young friend, Paul Brickhill. When they end up at The Cypress House, where unexpected events lead them to stay to help the beautiful but mysterious owner, Rebecca Cady. The local sheriff makes it clear that he does not want them here, but a hurricane is coming and, against their better judgment, Arlan and Paul choose to stay and battle the evil that has Rebecca so afraid. A compelling read.

vnesting | Oct 26, 2014 |

A journey to Florida's coast becomes an inescapable nightmare in the newest supernatural thriller from international bestseller Michael Koryta.

Arlen Wagner has seen it in men before--a trace of smoke in their eyes that promises imminent death. He is never wrong.

When Arlen awakens on a train one hot Florida night and sees death's telltale sign in the eyes of his fellow passengers, he tries to warn them. Only 19-year-old Paul Brickhill believes him, and the two abandon the train, hoping to escape certain death. They continue south, but soon are stranded at the Cypress House--an isolated Gulf Coast boarding house run by the beautiful Rebecca Cady--directly in the path of an approaching hurricane.

The storm isn't the only approaching danger, though. A much deadlier force controls the county and everyone living in it, and Arlen wants out--fast. But Paul refuses to abandon Rebecca to face the threats alone, even though Arlen's eerie gift warns that if they stay too long they may never leave. From its chilling beginning to terrifying end, The Cypress House is a story of relentless suspense from "one of the best of the best" (Michael Connelly).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:42 -0400)

When Arlen Wagner awakens on a train one hot Florida night and sees death's telltale sign in the eyes of his fellow passengers, he tries to warn them. Only 19-year-old Paul Brickhill believes him, and the two abandon the train, hoping to escape certain death. They continue south, but are soon stranded at the Cypress House--an isolated Gulf Coast boarding house run by the beautiful Rebecca Cady--directly in the path of an approaching hurricane. But the storm isn't the only approaching danger.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,050,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible