Mortels regards by Michael Koryta

Mortels regards (edition 2012)

by Michael Koryta

Member:ManonBD
Title:Mortels regards
Authors:Michael Koryta
Info:Calmann-Lévy (2012), Broché, 432 pages
Collections:ANNEE 2012, Your library
Rating:*****

The Cypress House by Michael Koryta

Recently added byprivate library, TomCrowley3, TomCrowley, batsao, recrawfo, librarymary09

Arlen Wagner is riding the train with dozens of other veterans headed to the Florida Keys for work building a bridge. As the train approaches a rest stop, Arlen has a premonition that every man on the train will die. He tries to get them all to stay at the stop and avoid death, but the men deride him and continue their journey, except for Paul Brickhill, the youngest and only non-vet on the trip.

The pair is taking the long walk to the only place with rooms for rent, when they are offered a ride. Arlen is suspicious of this Good Samaritan when he takes them on a detour and it's obvious he's up to no good. But then the Samaritan is killed and he and Paul are trapped in this isolated roadhouse during a major hurricane. What exactly is going on at Cypress House and will Arlen and Paul be able to get away?

Robert Petkoff does a good job with narration. ( )
  bohemiangirl35 | Feb 15, 2014 |
Excerpt from Linus's Blanket Koryta manages to balance chills and tension-filled suspense throughout this story of a man who has spent his life on the run, afraid of not only what he can do, but also of the barely contained guilt he feels over the death of his father. Overcoming his demons have serious ramifications in his attempts helping the love smitten Paul come to the aid of cool, collected Rebecca. Strong characterizations, rich sense of place, a balanced and integrated plot with a hint of an uneasy love triangle makes The Cypress House one of my near perfect reads of 2011. Highly Recommended. ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 25, 2013 |
This is a wildly inconsistent read. I almost abandoned it about 2/3 of the way through because the plot just wasn't doing it for me (an over-the-top corrupt Southern lawmen, a beautiful damsel in distress, a guy with special visions, can you spell C-H-E-E-S-E?) Still, I decided to finish and oh boy, am I ever glad I did- the last 100 or so pages are pretty darn amazing. I understand this author is very young, so I'm hoping he gets more consistent because there's a lot of potential here. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
Synopsis:
Arlen Wagner has seen it in men before--a trace of smoke in their eyes that promises imminent death. He is never wrong. When Arlen awakens on a train one hot Florida night and sees death's telltale sign in the eyes of his fellow passengers, he tries to warn them. Only 19-year-old Paul Brickhill believes him, and the two abandon the train, hoping to escape certain death. They continue south, but soon are stranded at the Cypress House--an isolated Gulf Coast boarding house run by the beautiful Rebecca Cady--directly in the path of an approaching hurricane. The storm isn't the only approaching danger, though. A much deadlier force controls the county and everyone living in it, and Arlen wants out--fast. But Paul refuses to abandon Rebecca to face the threats alone, even though Arlen's eerie gift warns that if they stay too long they may never leave.

Michael Koryta does American Gothic very, very well and The Cypress Tree is no exception with its dazzling blend of noir ingredients - small-town corruption, lies, deceit and the Great Depression. The whole blend is shot through an atmosphere that drips with menace and fatalism, impending doom and just a touch of supernatural shenanigans.

Strong characterisations, rich sense of time and place, a well written plot and the hint of a tragic love triangle make this a steamy, southern slow burner to savour. Loved it!
  jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
The Cypress House was the first novel I've read of Michael Koryta, and I think I'd pick up another one... I think. I literally just finished this, and perhaps reviewing it so soon won't do it the justice I think it deserves. It was strange, unusual, and altogether different from anything I've read in a long time. And I liked it! It definitely doesn't fit the mould of a 'whodunit' as so many of my previous reviews do, but it is an exciting thriller with just enough supernatural to make it enjoyable without being over the top.

The basic premise is what I loved most - Arlen Wagner can see death. Let me elaborate. The year is 1935 and Wagner is a WWI veteran who works on construction projects. His father, an undertaker, was thought to be insane over his belief that he could communicate with the dead. But now Arlen has his own dark skills, and is able to see death manifest itself in the soon-to-be-dead. One would imagine such a skill would be incredibly sobering during the war years, and Arlen does his best to avoid it. However, on a train one night, he looks around to see death in the eyes of all his fellow passengers. Bound for Florida Keys and unbeknownst to the men, they are travelling around the time of the infamous Labour Day hurricane that killed over 400 people. Arlen tries to warn his fellow passengers, but only himself and a young man named Paul Brickhill refuse to re-board the train.

They stumble out of harms way (albeit temporarily) and into the corruption of Depression-era Corridor County. A man, Walt Sorenson, takes a chance on the two of them, and the find themselves at an eerily remote inn, Cypress House, and in the presence of its beautiful but mysterious owner, Rebecca. Witness to a horrific crime, Arlen and Paul are thrown into a dark and shady world of corruption and cover up, where people in post-prohibition times are doing their best to survive... at a terribly high price for those around them. Surprises and unexpected plot twists await, with a final act worthy of a Hollywood blockbuster or a top-10 bestselling novel.

The Cypress House, while not your typical crime novel, is full of grizzly murders and more than enough bloodshed, making it feel like one. Add to it a constant feeling of suspense mixed with dread, and this novel will keep you up all night; all the while sending chills down your spine at the horror of how far some people will go to for power, money and glory. The characters are both likeable yet flawed, and Koryta rivals my personal favourite Stephen King for showing how rotten humans can become when they are given extreme amounts of power. Loathing the locals becomes easy, and the reader will find themselves cheering on our protagonists as they try and bring some much-needed justice to the people of Corridor County. All in all, I finished this 415 gem in a small number of days, and I urge you to pick it up and do the same. ( )
  tonile.helena | Mar 31, 2013 |

A journey to Florida's coast becomes an inescapable nightmare in the newest supernatural thriller from international bestseller Michael Koryta.

The storm isn't the only approaching danger, though. A much deadlier force controls the county and everyone living in it, and Arlen wants out--fast. But Paul refuses to abandon Rebecca to face the threats alone, even though Arlen's eerie gift warns that if they stay too long they may never leave. From its chilling beginning to terrifying end, The Cypress House is a story of relentless suspense from "one of the best of the best" (Michael Connelly).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:21 -0400)

When Arlen Wagner awakens on a train one hot Florida night and sees death's telltale sign in the eyes of his fellow passengers, he tries to warn them. Only 19-year-old Paul Brickhill believes him, and the two abandon the train, hoping to escape certain death. They continue south, but are soon stranded at the Cypress House--an isolated Gulf Coast boarding house run by the beautiful Rebecca Cady--directly in the path of an approaching hurricane. But the storm isn't the only approaching danger.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible