dismiss

Eric: A Discworld Novel by Terry Pratchett

Eric: A Discworld Novel (original 1990; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett's hilarious take on the Faust legend stars many of the Discworld's most popular characters. Eric is the Discworld's only demonology hacker. The trouble is, he's not very good at it. All he wants is the usual three wishes: to be immortal, rule the world and have the most beautiful woman fall madly in love with him. The usual stuff. But what he gets is Rincewind, the Disc's most incompetent wizard, and Rincewind's Luggage (the world's most dangerous travel accessory) into the bargain. The outcome is an outrageous adventure that will leave Eric wishing once more - this time, quite fervently - that he'd never been born.… (more)
Member:cuffs
Title:Eric: A Discworld Novel
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Gollancz (2000), Paperback, 155 pages
Tags:Humour, Fantasy

Eric by Terry Pratchett (1990)

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (jpers36)
    The Infernals by John Connolly (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both of these books have interesting portrayals of Hell.

English (98)  German (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (105)
This is my second read and my reaction is pretty much the same as the first time.

Rincewind is funny.

Or rather, the situations he always gets into showcases the Discworld in awesomely epic ways and we always get vast adventures. Usually with some kind of weird sidekick and a healthy dose of Death.

All true, sure, but what if Rincewind was mistaken for a demon, summoned by a nerdy kid who insists that he is, because, after all, Rincewind came at his demon summoning. :)

Or how about Discworld's version of Troy? Meeting the Creator? Seeing the bureaucratic hell that is... um... hell? :)

It's a tongue-in-cheek romp and while it's quite hilarious and imaginative as hell, I'm caught in that unenviable place of having to judge it among all of Pratchett's other works rather than against the backdrop of all humor or fantasy books.

It's not my favorite Discworld novel. Not by a long shot. BUT it is a lot higher than some, and not even close to many of the later novels. Even so, I loved having Rincewind back again. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Not the brst Pratchett. In fact seemed like it was written by someone else.

I think just an excuse to bring back Rincewind.

Eric a boy summons Rincewind from the dead. A jolly romp through space and time follows. They end up in hell. That's about it.

mick745 | Apr 8, 2020 |
I hadn't read this for over 20 years, and liked it better than I had expected. Ninth in the Discworld series, this is a short book. It sees Rincewind emerging from the Dungeon Dimensions when summoned as a demon by a pubescent teenager called Eric.

It's lightweight, full of classical references and some theology. There's low-key humour, primarily involving a talkative parrot who has forgotten a lot of words. But the writing is good, and if the plot is more straightforward than some of the later Discworld books, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Recommended as part of the series; it doesn't stand out as special, but it is useful from the continuity point of view, since Rincewind features in future books in the series.

Longer review here: https://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2020/02/eric-by-terry-pratchett.html ( )
  SueinCyprus | Feb 16, 2020 |
I stopped reading Terry Pratchett because his books eventually had a sameness about them, but "Eric" was one of the earlier Pratchett tomes I read so the humour and style was still fresh to me.

This Disc World entry is based on the legend of Faust, but in this case, the lead character is named Eric and instead of the devil, it's Rincewind the wizard answering Eric's commands. There are some good ideas here and more than a few laughs. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Jan 28, 2020 |
Short for a disc world book, but appropriately so. I think you need to know at least the basic Faust myth to get many of the jokes. ( )
  Tchipakkan | Dec 26, 2019 |

Kirby, JoshIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
The bees of Death are big and black, they buzz low and somber, they keep their honey in combs of wax as white as altar candles.
No enemies had ever taken Ankh-Morpork. Well technically they had, quite often; the city welcomed free-spending barbarian invaders, but somehow the puzzled raiders found, after a few days, that they didn't own their horses any more, and within a couple of months they were just another minority group with its own graffiti and food shops.
It was true about the time measurement as well. The Tezumen had realized long ago that everything was steadily getting worse and, having a terrible little-mindedness, had developed a complex system to keep track of how much worse each succeeding day was.
- "There's a door"
- "Where does it go?"
- "It stays where it is, I think."
- "So we're surrounded by absolutely nothing. There's a word for it. It's what you get when there's nothing left and everything's been used up."
- "Yes. I think it's called the bill."
- "What're quantum mechanics?"
- "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."
The title is sometimes rendered as Faust Eric.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,811,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible