Eric (Discworld, Book 9) by Terry Pratchett

Eric (Discworld, Book 9) (original 1990; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:mihtjel
Title:Eric (Discworld, Book 9)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Gollancz (2000), Paperback, 155 pages

Eric by Terry Pratchett (1990)

Recently added byQueenOfEschnapur, private library, DaddySchool, dafinker, tleemans
20th century (24) British (27) comedy (67) comic fantasy (32) demons (26) Discworld (936) ebook (39) English (24) fantasy (1,229) Faust (55) fiction (584) funny (17) humor (579) illustrated (20) magic (58) novel (60) own (22) paperback (37) parody (31) Pratchett (172) read (91) Rincewind (180) satire (110) science fiction (57) series (63) sf (28) sff (57) to-read (35) unread (24) wizards (51)
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (jpers36)
    The Infernals by John Connolly (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both of these books have interesting portrayals of Hell.

English (58)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (62)
Loosely based on the story of Faust, the story revolves around the conceptual aspects of Hell shortly after an Administrative transition has been achieved. Imagine Hell as a corporative entity undergoing a transitional change in its corporate culture. Now add to that mix the typical bad-luck of Rincewind the Demon..err..wizard. Mix into this a 13-year old Demonologist named Eric who has extreme concepts of ambition and glory that will be bestowed unto him via three wishes to be bestowed upon him by the demon..err..wizard Rincewind. Add a dash of the single-minded adoration of the Luggage for its master...and you get the resulting chaos that makes up this story. While not as good as some of the other story plots within the Discworld series - I found myself giggling and laughing over various parts of the plot, as well as some of the imagery presented from Pratchett's artful twists. A good, fun sidetrack to your normal reading. ( )
  TommyElf | Jan 5, 2014 |
Eric by Terry Pratchett is about a young boy who attempts to summon a demon to grant him wishes, but instead of a demon, Rincewind, an inept wizard shows up inside the magic circle. Much to Rincewind's surprise he finds that even though he is not a demon, because he was summoned as one, he has the power to grant wishes. Hilarity then ensues because as the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for. This book was a short but fun read and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the Discworld series or just if you enjoy British humor. ( )
  Kythe42 | Dec 13, 2013 |
When young demonologist Eric accidentally conjures Rincewind (and that luggage that insists on following him) and demands three wishes, hijinks ensue.

The funny thing is, I didn't really plan on reading this at all; I downloaded it on a lark at 5 a.m. this morning just 'cause it was available through the library e-book catalog. It's a funny play on Faust (which I didn't realize until after I finished and Googled something, so don't worry if you've never read the original) in which Eric and Rincewind try very hard to get away from whatever nefarious schemes seem to be going on whilst Rincewind is snapping his fingers trying to make Eric ruler of the world, rich, and suitor to the most beautiful woman in the world. Amusing, and I finished it so fast I wasn't sure at first that I'd read the whole book. ( )
  bell7 | Oct 26, 2013 |
Eric thinks he's Faust, and summons....Rincewind!... This is not going to work out, and it doesn't. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 10, 2013 |
Apart from Terry Pratchett's children's books, Pratchett has never really been an author that I have had any interest in reading. I have tried to read some of his Discworld novels previously but never really got past the first few pages but after receiving this book as part of a brilliant collection for sale at The Book People online (not being sponsored at all, their collections are just amazing!), I thought I should try reading Terry Pratchett because I now actually own one of his books. Eric is a really short book, at only around 150 pages and I thought that this would be the perfect one to start with. Eric is about a fourteen year old demonology enthusiast who summons a demon to grant him three wishes, but instead he gets Rincewind, the most incompetent wizard in Discworld.

I found that although the idea of the plot and the synopsis on the back of the book looked interesting, the execution lacked a deep plot and it seemed to end quite suddenly. I appreciate that this is a short book, and that there was not really much time for development but I found that it just seemed to describe a chain of events with no real conclusion. Although I did like the plot, I think that if the book was longer there would have been more time to develop the story as I felt that the book seemed unfinished somehow.

I really liked the characters in this book. Rincewind reminded me very much of Radagast from Tolkien's The Hobbit in that he is incompetent as far as a wizard goes, and a bit eccentric. I think that I would like to read more about Rincewind in Terry Pratchett's other books but I don't think that the character was really explored to his fullest in this book.

Overall I think that the writing style was something that I could happily read in another one of this author's books, though it did take a bit of getting used to. I loved the world building and think that the writing style lent itself well to this fantasy style of book.

On the whole, I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars, and although I didn't particularly enjoy Eric, I would be interested in reading other Terry Pratchett books as I really liked the way that it was written and the world that Pratchett created. ( )
  charlottejones952 | Sep 2, 2013 |

Calvo, JavierTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The bees of Death are big and black, they buzz low and somber, they keep their honey in combs of wax as white as altar candles.
No enemies had ever taken Ankh-Morpork. Well technically they had, quite often; the city welcomed free-spending barbarian invaders, but somehow the puzzled raiders found, after a few days, that they didn't own their horses any more, and within a couple of months they were just another minority group with its own graffiti and food shops.
It was true about the time measurement as well. The Tezumen had realized long ago that everything was steadily getting worse and, having a terrible little-mindedness, had developed a complex system to keep track of how much worse each succeeding day was.
- "There's a door"
- "Where does it go?"
- "It stays where it is, I think."
- "So we're surrounded by absolutely nothing. There's a word for it. It's what you get when there's nothing left and everything's been used up."
- "Yes. I think it's called the bill."
- "What're quantum mechanics?"
- "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."
The title is sometimes rendered as Faust Eric.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380821214, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad...at his work, that is. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes:to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe.

But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful demon, he conjures, well, Rincewind, a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. And as if that wasn't bad enough, that lovable travel accessory the Luggage has arrived, too. Accompanied by his best friends, there's only one thing Eric wishes now -- that he'd never been born!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:16 -0400)

Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad-at his work, that is. Eric wants to fulfill three wishes: to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a hot babe. Instead of conjuring a demon, Eric brings forth a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes:to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe. But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful demon, he conjures, well, Rincewind, a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. And as if that wasn't bad enough, that lovable travel accessory the luggage has arrived, too. Accompanied by his best friends, there's only one thing Eric wishes now-that he'd never been born!… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible