Eric by Terry Pratchett

Eric (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:Sassm
Title:Eric
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Gollancz (1990), Paperback
Collections:The Husband, Your library
Tags:fiction, fantasy, 1990

Eric by Terry Pratchett (1990)

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (jpers36)
    The Infernals by John Connolly (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both of these books have interesting portrayals of Hell.

English (91)  German (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (97)
Eric - Pratchett
Audio performance by Steven Briggs
3 stars

A Discworld novella. Pratchett resurrects the wizard, Rincewind, to travel in time with an adolescent demonologist. I did enjoy the Discworld reboot of the Iliad, but most of the humor and satire of the book fell flat. Pratchett takes on colonialism, religion, and cultural relativism in many of his books. Nation was a better story, had more humor, and a more powerful message. ( )
  msjudy | Feb 12, 2019 |
Rincewind, constantly on the run from something, stumbles into the magical circle of a would-be Faust and is mistaken for a demon. Actual demons don't care much for this type of error and Rincewind's frantic efforts to escape take him, Eric (the pimply faced summoner) and the Luggage on a series of adventures through time, space and no-time/no-space. Not as sophisticated in social commentary as later works, but funny. ( )
  ritaer | Nov 20, 2018 |
Another great Terry Pratchett novel. Stephen Briggs is by far my favorite reader of the Discworld novels. Sadly very short. Great giggles as always. I look at paperclips in a whole new way! I love listening to these with my husband. It doubles the laughter and doubles the fun! ( )
  njcur | Nov 7, 2018 |
Eric and Rincewind go to Hell and find that bureaucracy is far worse than fire, brimstone and horned demons that roast you over a pit. Basically. One of the earlier Discworld novels, the writing is not as mature as the later ones - the jokes sometimes are a bit forced, or Pratchett explains them, which reduces the enjoyment. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I recalled little to nothing about this book when I picked it up for the second time. The cover looked vaguely familiar, but that was it. When I saw it was a Rincewind-centric story I just kind of shrugged and mentally prepared myself for something lackluster. I enjoy Discworld immensely, but the Rincewind books tend to be a bit of a slog for me. There's just not all that much intriguing or amusing about him to me, and his books tend to contain the most puerile humor. Thankfully, although this book was a bit more juvenile than I tend to prefer Discworld to be, I enjoyed this book and found it altogether pleasing.

Rincewind, last seen in the Dungeon Dimensions, is accidentally brought back to Discworld by a budding Demonologist attempting to summon a creature to do his will. Eric, the fourteen year old demonologist, demands three wishes of the demon he summoned. 1) To rule the world, 2) to have the most beautiful woman in the world, and 3) to live forever. Of course, these wishes don't go according to pan. Meanwhile, the current rule of Pandemonium has his own ideas as to how to run Hell and isn't too happy a human was summoned in place of the demon he wanted to do Eric's bidding. After all, the paper work is atrocious when such a mishap occurs.

Eric is an altogethe delightful book. It's a fun romp through Discworld's idea of mythology and classical literature and once you get past the ornery parrot is full of amusing digs at bureaucracy, history, warfare, and any number of other things. [a: Terry Pratchett|1654|Terry Pratchett|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1235562205p2/1654.jpg] is the delight he always is, and I could honestly see this being a good first dip into the world of Discworld. People will complain it's not as good as his later works, but it's a fun little book in its own right and deserves the high rating I gave it for helping me through a bad day. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

Kirby, JoshIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
The bees of Death are big and black, they buzz low and somber, they keep their honey in combs of wax as white as altar candles.
No enemies had ever taken Ankh-Morpork. Well technically they had, quite often; the city welcomed free-spending barbarian invaders, but somehow the puzzled raiders found, after a few days, that they didn't own their horses any more, and within a couple of months they were just another minority group with its own graffiti and food shops.
It was true about the time measurement as well. The Tezumen had realized long ago that everything was steadily getting worse and, having a terrible little-mindedness, had developed a complex system to keep track of how much worse each succeeding day was.
- "There's a door"
- "Where does it go?"
- "It stays where it is, I think."
- "So we're surrounded by absolutely nothing. There's a word for it. It's what you get when there's nothing left and everything's been used up."
- "Yes. I think it's called the bill."
- "What're quantum mechanics?"
- "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."
The title is sometimes rendered as Faust Eric.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380821214, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad...at his work, that is. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes:to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe.

But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful demon, he conjures, well, Rincewind, a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. And as if that wasn't bad enough, that lovable travel accessory the Luggage has arrived, too. Accompanied by his best friends, there's only one thing Eric wishes now -- that he'd never been born!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:21 -0400)

Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad-at his work, that is. Eric wants to fulfill three wishes: to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a hot babe. Instead of conjuring a demon, Eric brings forth a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes:to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe. But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful demon, he conjures, well, Rincewind, a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. And as if that wasn't bad enough, that lovable travel accessory the luggage has arrived, too. Accompanied by his best friends, there's only one thing Eric wishes now-that he'd never been born!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,885,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible