Annales du Disque-Monde 09. Eric by Terry…

Annales du Disque-Monde 09. Eric (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Terry Pratchett, Josh ill Kirby (Illustrator)

Member:bergg
Title:Annales du Disque-Monde 09. Eric
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Josh ill Kirby (Illustrator)
Info:Atalante (L') (1997), Paperback, 162 pages
Collections:Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ebook, fantaisie, humour, série Discworld

Eric by Terry Pratchett (1990)

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (jpers36)
    The Infernals by John Connolly (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both of these books have interesting portrayals of Hell.

English (60)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (64)
Funny as expected. Rincewind..hes not one of my favorite characters of Discworld however he has his moments.
A good quick read ^_^ ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
I was left strangely unsatisfied after reading this book, but I don't quite know why. It's a stand alone book, not part of one of the sub-series of Discworld novels like with the witches or city guard. But that doesn't necessarily make it bad. It's about Rincewind the inept wizard, who I tend to like quite a bit. Actually, the book is about a horny adolescent boy named Eric who fancies himself a demonologist who calls for a demon to magically appear, only it's Rincewind who appears. Eric has three wishes for his demon -- rule the world, meet the most beautiful girl in history, and to live forever. Rincewind knows he can't do this, but surprisingly when he snaps his fingers they find themselves in a distant setting where they meet a caricature of Ponce de Leon, in search of the fountain of youth. A tribe spoofing the Aztecs complete with sacrificial pyramids bows down to Eric, who glows in knowing he's the ultimate ruler, only to find that the travelers are ready to be sacrificed. What follows is a series of adventures placing them in various points of history, including a spoof on the Trojan War, complete with Odysseus and Helen of Troy, as well as the wooden horse, the beginning of time, and finding themselves in hell with the King of Demons after them for some mysterious reason.

Okay, the book has its funny moments, but it's not laugh out loud funny like so many of the Discworld novels are. I missed seeing many favorite characters, although Death does make an appearance or two. This feels, though, like a three star book to me. The character of Eric is hardly developed at all and by this time, Rincewind is a known commodity, so we really don't learn much more about him. There aren't major themes running through the plot. I don't know. I just can't place my finger on it, but this book just didn't do it for me. I have several more Discworld books to read, however, so hopefully it'll get its groove back. Unless you're already a Discworld fan, I wouldn't start off with this book. Only slightly recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jul 29, 2014 |
Loosely based on the story of Faust, the story revolves around the conceptual aspects of Hell shortly after an Administrative transition has been achieved. Imagine Hell as a corporative entity undergoing a transitional change in its corporate culture. Now add to that mix the typical bad-luck of Rincewind the Demon..err..wizard. Mix into this a 13-year old Demonologist named Eric who has extreme concepts of ambition and glory that will be bestowed unto him via three wishes to be bestowed upon him by the demon..err..wizard Rincewind. Add a dash of the single-minded adoration of the Luggage for its master...and you get the resulting chaos that makes up this story. While not as good as some of the other story plots within the Discworld series - I found myself giggling and laughing over various parts of the plot, as well as some of the imagery presented from Pratchett's artful twists. A good, fun sidetrack to your normal reading. ( )
  TommyElf | Jan 5, 2014 |
Eric by Terry Pratchett is about a young boy who attempts to summon a demon to grant him wishes, but instead of a demon, Rincewind, an inept wizard shows up inside the magic circle. Much to Rincewind's surprise he finds that even though he is not a demon, because he was summoned as one, he has the power to grant wishes. Hilarity then ensues because as the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for. This book was a short but fun read and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the Discworld series or just if you enjoy British humor. ( )
  Kythe42 | Dec 13, 2013 |
When young demonologist Eric accidentally conjures Rincewind (and that luggage that insists on following him) and demands three wishes, hijinks ensue.

The funny thing is, I didn't really plan on reading this at all; I downloaded it on a lark at 5 a.m. this morning just 'cause it was available through the library e-book catalog. It's a funny play on Faust (which I didn't realize until after I finished and Googled something, so don't worry if you've never read the original) in which Eric and Rincewind try very hard to get away from whatever nefarious schemes seem to be going on whilst Rincewind is snapping his fingers trying to make Eric ruler of the world, rich, and suitor to the most beautiful woman in the world. Amusing, and I finished it so fast I wasn't sure at first that I'd read the whole book. ( )
  bell7 | Oct 26, 2013 |

Calvo, JavierTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The bees of Death are big and black, they buzz low and somber, they keep their honey in combs of wax as white as altar candles.
No enemies had ever taken Ankh-Morpork. Well technically they had, quite often; the city welcomed free-spending barbarian invaders, but somehow the puzzled raiders found, after a few days, that they didn't own their horses any more, and within a couple of months they were just another minority group with its own graffiti and food shops.
It was true about the time measurement as well. The Tezumen had realized long ago that everything was steadily getting worse and, having a terrible little-mindedness, had developed a complex system to keep track of how much worse each succeeding day was.
- "There's a door"
- "Where does it go?"
- "It stays where it is, I think."
- "So we're surrounded by absolutely nothing. There's a word for it. It's what you get when there's nothing left and everything's been used up."
- "Yes. I think it's called the bill."
- "What're quantum mechanics?"
- "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."
The title is sometimes rendered as Faust Eric.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380821214, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad...at his work, that is. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes:to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe.

But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful demon, he conjures, well, Rincewind, a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. And as if that wasn't bad enough, that lovable travel accessory the Luggage has arrived, too. Accompanied by his best friends, there's only one thing Eric wishes now -- that he'd never been born!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:16 -0400)

Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad-at his work, that is. Eric wants to fulfill three wishes: to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a hot babe. Instead of conjuring a demon, Eric brings forth a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes:to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe. But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful demon, he conjures, well, Rincewind, a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. And as if that wasn't bad enough, that lovable travel accessory the luggage has arrived, too. Accompanied by his best friends, there's only one thing Eric wishes now-that he'd never been born!… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,294,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible