Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

Guards! Guards! (1989)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (8), Discworld: City Watch (1)

English (119)  Spanish (3)  Polish (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (129)
Laugh until you cry! and then cry until you laugh. So sad that Terry Pratchett is gone. So wonderful that he lives on in these wonderful books. Such terrific quotable moments..."Lady Ramkin's bosom rose and fell like an empire." and "It's a terrible thing to be sixteen and the wrong species." are just a couple. The man was a genius. I'm glad that there are more of his amazing works to explore. ( )
  njcur | Sep 14, 2016 |
The story is simple: someone used a stolen magical book and summoned a dragon and now they can't get rid of it. The only ones who stand against it are Captain Vimes and his men. The story is simple enough, but I have to think really, really hard to find characters as great as these. I thought I liked Rincewind and his Luggage (and I do), but Vimes, Nobby, Carrot and Colon left me speechless. I cried at times, then laughed as crazy (do not read this book in public!), and it left me feeling wonderfully calm, happy and fulfilled.
Beautiful book. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
This book was cute, but it felt pretty average to me. The story didn’t bore me, but it didn’t really absorb me either. I liked the characters, but I didn’t feel invested in them. Part of the problem may be that I’d just finished one of the most enjoyable books I’ve read in a long time, so I was harder to please. Mostly I just felt like there wasn’t that much to the story, but it was a very quick read.

I thought this book was a little less humorous than the previous Discworld books. It did still have humor, and I laughed, but not as much as with the other books. Maybe some of it went over my head. I did enjoy the parodies of various fantasy tropes such as evil cults, dragon physics, and prophesied heirs (or "airs"). I also really liked the character of Vetinari. He was interesting, and I hope he’ll show up more in future books. ( )
  YouKneeK | Jun 12, 2016 |
I have a love/hate r'ship with the Discworld books.
I enjoy every encounter I have with Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian.
Carrot is mildly interesting
Bits of concepts throughout the series are clever.
Pretty much the rest of the characters, and books, annoy and/or frustrate me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
If you look up the wonderful “Discworld Reading Order” guide, this is listed as the first of the City Watch novels. The mostly ineffectual Night Watch, consisting of Captain Vimes, Sergeant Colon, Corporal Nobbs, and Carrot Ironfoundersson, the Watch's new volunteer, finds itself dealing with a secret brotherhood and the dragon the brotherhood has called into being. They receive help from Lady Sybil Ramkin, a swamp dragon breeder, and the Librarian of the Unseen University, an orangutan.

I finished this nearly a month ago and have repeatedly put off reviewing it. The problem? I remembered liking this book a lot more when I first read it. My first reading was so long ago that all I could remember was that it featured Carrot's first appearance, but I still figured I'd love this audiobook. Instead, the experience was more so-so.

I mean, I didn't dislike it. It was still as wonderfully quotable as any other Discworld book, I loved pretty much everything about Carrot (his habit of taking things literally, the bit with him arresting a dragon, everything), the Librarian got a sizable role, and I enjoyed Lady Sybil's enthusiasm for dragons. It was just that Vimes was more of a mess than I remembered. At the start of the book, he was well on his way to pickling himself in alcohol. As the story progressed, he slowly became the Vimes I'm familiar with, but, yeah, full-on drunken Vimes was a bit of a shock. I had totally forgotten about that.

The developing relationship between Vimes and Lady Sybil was a little weird. When his mind wasn't on dragons, work, and survival, Vimes spent most of his time with Lady Sybil worried that she might compromise his virtue. The end of the book featured a scene that was partly sweet and partly kind of depressing, as Vimes decided he liked Sybil both because she was awesome and also because she'd smiled at him and happened to like him for some reason, so why not?

Vimes' affection for Errol, the seemingly defective swamp dragon, was sweet, and I had to laugh at Sergeant Colon and Corporal Nobbs' ideas about what constituted wild and crazy demands for the Night Watch to make from Lord Vetinari. Vetinari's imprisonment seemed out of character, at first, and then revealed itself to be something very much in character for him. Oh, and I was surprised to note that the setup for The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, or at least part of it, could be found in this book.

The characters were mostly enjoyable, and there were wonderful details, but the story itself was just...meh. Some of my dissatisfaction may also be due to the audio format itself. In many ways, Nigel Planer and Stephen Briggs' styles were similar, but Planer's narration felt like a more faded version of Briggs' (which I admit may be due to my having heard Briggs' Discworld narrations first). I also very much disliked the nasal quality that Planer gave Vimes' voice. He sounded like he was constantly suffering from a head cold.

The audio quality could have been better. At one point, part of the recording repeated itself. At another point, the volume suddenly turned way down and then turned back up again, in time for a line to be repeated.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Jun 5, 2016 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersen, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No-one ever asks them if they wanted to.

This book is dedicated to those fine men.
And also to Mike Harrison, Mary Gentle, Neil Gaiman and all the others who assisted with and laughed at the idea of L-space; too bad we never used Schrodinger's Paperback . . .
This is where the dragons went.
"Have another drink, not-Corporal Nobby?" said Sergeant Colon unsteadily. "I do not mind if I do, not-Sgt Colon," said Nobby.

-- The joys of working undercover (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE ISIS AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impaired people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com
Copies of this work with the ISBNs 0575063025, 0575070714 and 3442545331 may be Graphic Novel versions. Changing the Title of your copy to reflect this may facilitate correct combination with other Graphic Novel versions of the work.

This is where the dragons went. They lie…not dead, not asleep, but…dormant. And although the space they occupy isn't like normal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly. They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly. And presumably, somewhere, there's a key...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020648, Mass Market Paperback)

Here there be dragons...and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all...).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

Here there be dragons . . . and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all . . .). Meanwhile, back at Unseen University, an ancient and long-forgotten volume -- The Summoning of Dragons -- is missing from the Library's shelves. To the rescue come Captain Vimes, Constable Carrot, and the rest of the Night Watch who, along with other brave citizens, risk everything, including a good roasting, to dethrone the flying monarch and restore order to Ankh-Morpork (before it's burned to a crisp). A rare tale, well done as only Terry Pratchett can.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,247,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible