Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

Guards! Guards! (1989)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (8), Discworld: City Watch (1)

9,199108325 (4.18)371

English (100)  Spanish (3)  Polish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (108)
"Guards! Guards!" is a entertaining page turner with it's mesh of twisted tropes, hilarious characters, and engaging plot. Terry Pratchett's first Guards book seems to be where he begins hitting is stride as a fantasy humorist.

Pratchett introduces the hero-versus-dragon plot as well as the numerous no-so-hero material veteran guards dealing with an enthusiastic recruit to Ankh-Morpork's City Watch (Night squad). The veteran-versus-rookie dichotomy is given a humorous spin in the Criminal Guild run city that soon finds it's only hope of salvation from the a new King Dragon in the detested Watch. Pratchett misdirects the reader into believing the 6'6" dwarf Watch recruit Carrot (he's adopted) only to turn the attention to Captain Sam Vimes who begins investigating incidents related to when the dragon first appears. The new characters are wonderfully portrayed and several previously seen but never full developed characters are given space to be fully rounded out while not taking away from the overall story.

As I got closer to the end of "Guards! Guards!", I found it increasingly harder to put the book down during my work breaks and lunch, which to me is the sign of a book that I have to read again and again in the future. ( )
  mattries37315 | Jan 19, 2015 |
I've been reading the Disc World series in order and I have to say this is my favorite one so far. It made me laugh out loud many times and it pokes fun at all kinds of mystery books. A little noir goes a long way!

This is the first book of the city watch and we meet the 4 individuals who 'watch' over the city at night. When one of the denizens decides to try and conjure dragons. He was more successful than he could ever have wanted to be.

This was an excellent book and I plan to continue reading the series in order, but I'm really looking forward to the next City Watch book! ( )
  readafew | Jan 14, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
Another hilarious tale from Discworld. I was cracking up reading this one, and it had one of the better stories of the DW novels I've read to date. You'll never look at dragons in novels the same way after reading this one. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 21, 2014 |
Of my two classes of Pratchett books, favorite and very good, this goes in the favorite group. Loved Lady Ramkin, swamp dragons, Carrot, the Guards, the Patrician. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 23, 2014 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersen, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No-one ever asks them if they wanted to.

This book is dedicated to those fine men.
And also to Mike Harrison, Mary Gentle, Neil Gaiman and all the others who assisted with and laughed at the idea of L-space; too bad we never used Schrodinger's Paperback . . .
This is where the dragons went.
"Have another drink, not-Corporal Nobby?" said Sergeant Colon unsteadily. "I do not mind if I do, not-Sgt Colon," said Nobby.

-- The joys of working undercover (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impaired people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com
Copies of this work with the ISBNs 0575063025, 0575070714 and 3442545331 may be Graphic Novel versions. Changing the Title of your copy to reflect this may facilitate correct combination with other Graphic Novel versions of the work.

This is where the dragons went. They lie…not dead, not asleep, but…dormant. And although the space they occupy isn't like normal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly. They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly. And presumably, somewhere, there's a key...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020648, Mass Market Paperback)

Here there be dragons...and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all...).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:47 -0400)

Here there be dragons . . . and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all . . .). Meanwhile, back at Unseen University, an ancient and long-forgotten volume -- The Summoning of Dragons -- is missing from the Library's shelves. To the rescue come Captain Vimes, Constable Carrot, and the rest of the Night Watch who, along with other brave citizens, risk everything, including a good roasting, to dethrone the flying monarch and restore order to Ankh-Morpork (before it's burned to a crisp). A rare tale, well done as only Terry Pratchett can.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,710,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible