Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

Guards! Guards! (original 1989; edition 2001)

by Terry Pratchett, Nigel Planer (Narrator)

Member:mirrordrum
Title:Guards! Guards!
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Nigel Planer (Narrator)
Info:audible.com
Tags:audiobook, audible.com, Nigel Planer, fantasy, Discworld, City Watch

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett (1989)

Recently added byAmberfly, ddrucker, BiblioSarah, HL84, Maniscalco, sschhabra, private library, zbuxton, mpawloski

English (96)  Spanish (3)  Polish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (104)
Of my two classes of Pratchett books, favorite and very good, this goes in the favorite group. Loved Lady Ramkin, swamp dragons, Carrot, the Guards, the Patrician. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 23, 2014 |
The story is simple: someone used a stolen magical book and summoned a dragon and now they can't get rid of it. The only ones who stand against it are Captain Vimes and his men. The story is simple enough, but I have to think really, really hard to find characters as great as these. I thought I liked Rincewind and his Luggage (and I do), but Vimes, Nobby, Carrot and Colon left me speechless. I cried at times, then laughed as crazy (do not read this book in public!), and it left me feeling wonderfully calm, happy and fulfilled.
Beautiful book. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
A bad man does a bad thing. This bad thing leads him to other bad things so that he ends up bringing a dragon into existence. This is generally not considered to be a good thing, since dragons tend to do other bad things. So the good guys (who, coincidentally aren't terribly good at what they do) must save the day, even after a hero defeats the dragon and gets named King - because, well... dragons are resilient. In the end, though, the voices of authority win out and (as we must) Anhk-Morpork ends up rallying to state of status quo. ( )
  helver | Aug 25, 2014 |
This is the book that officially introduces to the Watch and it's core characters and begins to give us more insight into the workings of Lord Ventinari. The start of the story and the introductions of most of the main characters are all a bit clunky and feel forced compared to the rest of the story and future guard books, but it was easily forgivable as everything soon picks up steam and begins to flow with the usual Pratchett word play and magic.

Terry Pratchett is one of my all time favorite authors and this is one of my favorite Disworld novels and it is hard for me to be unbiased in my review, I can say that after having gone so long between readings I can be a bit more open to some of the weaknesses such as the clunky introduction for most of the main characters, it was a bit hard to look back on eventually familiar characters and see them in their more primitive state so to speak, without the polish and depth that makes them feel more real that they would quickly acquire. You could almost see Pratchett working out the kinks himself as the story progressed, which was interesting by itself.
Also the very beginning of the book felt forced and somewhat clunky but it didn't take long for the story to smooth out once all of the plot points and characters were introduced.

Beyond that this book holds up, still made me laugh, still made me want to see more of the Discworld and is still one of my favorite books in the series. ( )
  Kellswitch | Jul 21, 2014 |
This may be my favorite Pratchett so far (the fifth i think). Just too clever for his own good. Oook. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jun 2, 2014 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersen, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No-one ever asks them if they wanted to.

This book is dedicated to those fine men.
And also to Mike Harrison, Mary Gentle, Neil Gaiman and all the others who assisted with and laughed at the idea of L-space; too bad we never used Schrodinger's Paperback . . .
This is where the dragons went.
"Have another drink, not-Corporal Nobby?" said Sergeant Colon unsteadily. "I do not mind if I do, not-Sgt Colon," said Nobby.

-- The joys of working undercover (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impared people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com
Copies of this work with the ISBNs 0575063025, 0575070714 and 3442545331 may be Graphic Novel versions. Changing the Title of your copy to reflect this may facilitate correct combination with other Graphic Novel versions of the work.

This is where the dragons went. They lie…not dead, not asleep, but…dormant. And although the space they occupy isn't like normal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly. They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly. And presumably, somewhere, there's a key...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020648, Mass Market Paperback)

Here there be dragons...and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all...).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:47 -0400)

Here there be dragons . . . and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all . . .). Meanwhile, back at Unseen University, an ancient and long-forgotten volume -- The Summoning of Dragons -- is missing from the Library's shelves. To the rescue come Captain Vimes, Constable Carrot, and the rest of the Night Watch who, along with other brave citizens, risk everything, including a good roasting, to dethrone the flying monarch and restore order to Ankh-Morpork (before it's burned to a crisp). A rare tale, well done as only Terry Pratchett can.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,387,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible