Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

Guards! Guards! (original 1989; edition 2001)

by Terry Pratchett, Nigel Planer (Narrator)

Member:mirrordrum
Title:Guards! Guards!
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Nigel Planer (Narrator)
Info:audible.com
Tags:audiobook, audible.com, Nigel Planer, fantasy, Discworld, City Watch

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett (1989)

Recently added byYouKneeK, Nooiniin, rnbwpnt, SNO24601, Nicolai-Michiel, Dilvich, jsnewkirk, private library, Metria

English (115)  Spanish (3)  Polish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (123)
The story is simple: someone used a stolen magical book and summoned a dragon and now they can't get rid of it. The only ones who stand against it are Captain Vimes and his men. The story is simple enough, but I have to think really, really hard to find characters as great as these. I thought I liked Rincewind and his Luggage (and I do), but Vimes, Nobby, Carrot and Colon left me speechless. I cried at times, then laughed as crazy (do not read this book in public!), and it left me feeling wonderfully calm, happy and fulfilled.
Beautiful book. ( )
  Aneris | Mar 17, 2016 |
Really funny in places but not destined to be one of my favorite in the Disc World series. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
I decided to try reading something entirely different for a change, so I tried discworld. I know I'm in the minority in saying this, but I couldn't wait to finish this book. I don't understand why this is such a popular series, because I was bored to tears. It took all of my self control not to rip this book in half and throw it in the trash can! I finished it just to make sure I didn't miss out on a good ending. It never came !
No offense to anyone who likes reading discworld but this series is just not my taste in reading. I didn't find anything funny or interesting at all. I gave it a fair shot but this was my first and last discworld book. The story was terrible and I should get a metal for finishing this book.
I wanted to like this series but I just couldn't get into it. Most of the books I read, I can't wait until I can get back to the story. This book made me dread reading it. There's no way I'd attempt reading another discworld. ( )
  ralphs007 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Another clever story from Terry Pratchett, back from the beginning of the Discworld Series.
The Night Watch has fallen on bad times and is full of losers.
Then, someone starts playing around with magic and it has unexpected results. Will the members of the Night Watch step up and do something about it?
Fun. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersen, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No-one ever asks them if they wanted to.

This book is dedicated to those fine men.
And also to Mike Harrison, Mary Gentle, Neil Gaiman and all the others who assisted with and laughed at the idea of L-space; too bad we never used Schrodinger's Paperback . . .
This is where the dragons went.
"Have another drink, not-Corporal Nobby?" said Sergeant Colon unsteadily. "I do not mind if I do, not-Sgt Colon," said Nobby.

-- The joys of working undercover (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE ISIS AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impaired people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com
Copies of this work with the ISBNs 0575063025, 0575070714 and 3442545331 may be Graphic Novel versions. Changing the Title of your copy to reflect this may facilitate correct combination with other Graphic Novel versions of the work.

This is where the dragons went. They lie…not dead, not asleep, but…dormant. And although the space they occupy isn't like normal space, nevertheless they are packed in tightly. They could put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought sardines were huge and scaly. And presumably, somewhere, there's a key...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020648, Mass Market Paperback)

Here there be dragons...and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all...).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

Here there be dragons . . . and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all . . .). Meanwhile, back at Unseen University, an ancient and long-forgotten volume -- The Summoning of Dragons -- is missing from the Library's shelves. To the rescue come Captain Vimes, Constable Carrot, and the rest of the Night Watch who, along with other brave citizens, risk everything, including a good roasting, to dethrone the flying monarch and restore order to Ankh-Morpork (before it's burned to a crisp). A rare tale, well done as only Terry Pratchett can.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,872,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible